Planning a road trip any good geocaches along the road?

maristua

I have posted this question in the South and Southeast forum as well since my trip will go through some states there as well :)

We are 2 friends who are planning a roadtrip from Orlando FL to Los Angeles CA. The only plan so far is that we have to stop by New Orleans on the way. We are planning to use 4 weeks on this trip :)

I know there are A LOT of geocaches a long the way. What I'm wondering if there are any geocaches that we should not miss? Since I'm not a good walker (I use a wheelchair if the distance is more than 100 meter (328 Feet) the terrain should not be rated more than 1.5 or 2.

If you're going to be stopping in New Orleans, you must do GCE02C, View Carre'. You won't regret it. It has almost 500 Favorite points and is on everyone's "Must Do" list around here. You should also be able to get fairly close to GZ by wheelchair, shouldn't have to walk more than 100 feet or so, if that's manageable for you.

Do you have a tentative route yet? It would help knowing so we can suggest caches. I know lots of great caches but some of them might be out of your way.

The trip is not until february/March 2013 so I have a lot of time to plan. We haven't decided on a spesific route yet. I thought if we had some caches we should not miss it would be easier to find out where we should drive. We could always drive the shortest way, but I don't think that would be any fun. We are coming from Norway to the USA. With geocaching we will be able to see things that we never would have gone to if we haven't been geocaching.

Do you have a tentative route yet? It would help knowing so we can suggest caches. I know lots of great caches but some of them might be out of your way.

The trip is not until february/March 2013 so I have a lot of time to plan. We haven't decided on a spesific route yet. I thought if we had some caches we should not miss it would be easier to find out where we should drive. We could always drive the shortest way, but I don't think that would be any fun. We are coming from Norway to the USA. With geocaching we will be able to see things that we never would have gone to if we haven't been geocaching.

I think you'll like View Carre' then. It's the only cache I know of that not only brings you somewhere you wouldn't have gone if you weren't geocaching, you actually CAN'T go there UNLESS you're geocaching! I'll leave it at that.... :):ph34r:

I cache most of the time from a big truck, so have to pass on many memorable caches. Still, in Florida, there are several in the Panhandle rest areas. At the last one, take time for a photo under the A4 painted in the Blue Angel livery. In Mississippi, there is a lunar lander on display near a cache if I remember correctly, and by all means stay on I-10 in Louisiana as I remember none worthwhile along I-12. Several along I-10 west of Baton Rouge may interest you.

I run a PQ and then take a peek at the ones that come up. Bookmark those into your own list to call up easily later.

I cache most of the time from a big truck, so have to pass on many memorable caches. Still, in Florida, there are several in the Panhandle rest areas. At the last one, take time for a photo under the A4 painted in the Blue Angel livery. In Mississippi, there is a lunar lander on display near a cache if I remember correctly, and by all means stay on I-10 in Louisiana as I remember none worthwhile along I-12. Several along I-10 west of Baton Rouge may interest you.

I run a PQ and then take a peek at the ones that come up. Bookmark those into your own list to call up easily later.

Setup some PQ's 'caches along a route'. Before running it..... look at PQ for most favorited caches.

We did this for our short 4 hour trip down to VA. We picked a couple of the most favorited caches in each state. Went to those caches primarily as GO TO points. Once we found those caches, then we were free to grab a few others in the area before heading to the next GO TO (favorited) cache.

Then, you can even pick a different route on the way back and get some more!!

Good Luck! Sounds like a lot of fun!!

Mingo...the oldest active cache in the world!

I will Completely AGREE with you on that... Even though, depending on your intended route, it could be an additional 6 Hours driving for it. Either way, You'll love the cache!!

The Steaks

I'm going to disagree with Mingo. Other than the fact that it is the oldest cache in the world it has no other redeeming qualities. If you are going to be in the area I would say grab it for its historical value but I can think of hundreds of better caches.