iPhone 4s geo-apps

Once upon a time I read an article about the geo-apps for the iPhone 4s, but since I did not have a iPhone at that time I failed to bookmark it.

Does anyone know what apps are available and the pros/cons of each?

Thanks

I would assume you are using itunes?

Type 'geocaching' and you'll see 6 options.

I use the Groundspeak app. It's $9.99 and has the best ratings of all of available on the app store.

You could try using the FREE version, but I can't say how it compares to the paid version. Do a search on the forum, lots of KUDOS for this app!

Once upon a time I read an article about the geo-apps for the iPhone 4s, but since I did not have a iPhone at that time I failed to bookmark it.

Does anyone know what apps are available and the pros/cons of each?

Thanks

I would assume you are using itunes?

Type 'geocaching' and you'll see 6 options.

I use the Groundspeak app. It's $9.99 and has the best ratings of all of available on the app store.

You could try using the FREE version, but I can't say how it compares to the paid version. Do a search on the forum, lots of KUDOS for this app!

The free version is not at all like the paid version....it's not just a "lite" version of the paid app, it's a totally different thing altogether...really more of an "Introduction to Geocaching"...it will direct you to the 3 nearest caches and that's it, no descriptions, hints, logging, etc. (at least that's how it was a year ago when I tried it). Unless you've never cached before and are just trying this out to see if you'll like it, don't waste your time.

Now the paid app is something different entirely. It's a full-featured legitimate caching tool and well worth the $10 price tag. If you have the iPhone 4s it should be plenty accurate too (some older iPhones weren't so accurate in the GPS department). The only downside, other than the durability of the phone, is that navigation apps are a huge battery drain. Only expect to do 2 or 3 hours of caching at best before needing to charge up.

Other apps that I have found useful are:

-Motion X: a good general purpose GPS app. I really don't use it much but it's good for some things.

-Geocaching Toolkit: a handy app for helping solve puzzle caches, converting coordinate datum formats, stuff like that

-Perfect Mark: a waypoint averaging app, it averages a coordinate reading over time to give you a more accurate waypoint than just a single reading. Crucial for getting accurate coordinates when hiding a cache.

I highly recommend Geosphere. I use it almost exclusively. If you have a premium account, it runs on its own offline database built from your PQs and GPX files. It's highly customizable and (IMO) a better UI and more usable (and practical) than the Geocaching app... also, cheaper, at $6. :)

I use the official app for live on-the-spot lookups, and on the occasion I need to post a log in a timely fashion (like a FTF or a DNF).

Geosphere runs on field notes for logs, which makes it much nicer for going on a cache run - save field notes in the app with brief notes for the listings, gett home and upload them to geocaching.com's field notes, then manually edit them and save as find logs. It is so much better. In many ways.

Homepage is http://gbhometech.com/geosphere

I also use it for other location-based info (like bus stops, other geocaching-like-games-which-shall-not-be-mentioned, misc waypoints, etc), and use bookmarks with the in-app browser. It integrates with GSAK, and also exports data...

It's rarely had an app update - programmed near perfectly from the start, unlike most other apps. Version 3 is in the works, and should be incorporating a whole lot of new features that have been requested over time (hopefully including the Live API).

Geosphere - $6. Recommended.

For other apps - as mentioned above, Motion X is decent, the Geocaching Toolkit (iGCT) is a must-have.

I also use EveryTrail for the times I want to create track logs - wonderful GPS tool that's connected with their website for sharing and whatnot.

Other related apps? Geocaching Challenges (official), and Wherigo (now official).

Also, grab one of the flashlight apps :) (white screen - great for times you forget a flashlight, heh)

Edited by thebruce0

Also, grab one of the flashlight apps :) (white screen - great for times you forget a flashlight, heh)

That's a cool thing about the iPhone 4 and 4s, they have a built in camera flash on the back which can be used in constant-on mode using a number of different apps (I like Tactical Flash). Much superior to the old "white screen" flashlight apps, it actually makes a decent light.

That's a cool thing about the iPhone 4 and 4s, they have a built in camera flash on the back which can be used in constant-on mode using a number of different apps (I like Tactical Flash). Much superior to the old "white screen" flashlight apps, it actually makes a decent light.

Oh totally. Yeah, if you have a 4 or 4S, then it's not as much a necessity. But actually I grabbed a flashlight app that has options and gives you ability to use either as the light. Maybe one uses less battery, not sure, but the effect is a little different. The 4/4S camera light though is amazing for lighting up the nearby area -- doesn't have distance, but really helps you see the area if you're searching at night in a forest at GZ ;)