Garmin 650T - Quick review, few questions

solo63137

So I ordered my 650T and got it last week.

1st things I did; registered it, fully charged it and updated it to the latest code... No issues so far...

Seems like it powers up quick and locks on pretty quick, even in my basement it seems to lock on. Note sure if its because its so new and my Colorado is a few years old, but it seems much faster.

Loading caches into it is a snap, just like my Colorado was... Plug in the USB, wait for them to sync up, click on one or more caches, click on Send to GPS, and its pretty much done.

Screen seems to have nice resolution and is fairly easy to read in sunlight.

I don't like that there is no Clip or Carabiner on the back. I hope they don't expect end users to use that lop for the battery door. Seems like it would break off in a seconds. Also its kinda big for my hand and I wear a 2XL Glove. I hate to see what folks with normal or small hands think.

I'm still leaning where all the buttons/features are...

This afternoon I planned and loaded a string of 8 caches into my unit and my father and I headed out. We attempted and found 4, before we ran out of daylight... The unit seemed to work great, no issues, crashes, reloads or anything strange.

few questions/comments,

1. Not sure if its me, but the ""Topo"" Maps on my Colorado seems much more detailed and I think I like the scroll wheel better than the touch screen +/- for Zooming in and out on the ratio.

2. What do I push or how do I look at the unit and see what maps/versions and or Code is on it??? There was a pretty quick way on my Colorado.

3. As we hit caches, you can log your finds and put info in, how do you get that updated onto Geocaching.com?

Looks like a nice unit so far. I can't wait take it out again.

The 650t comes with 100k topo maps. On my oregon 450 and soon to been Montana 600, I didn't purchase "t" models. I prefer to use regional 24K maps which have better detail. That might be your issue between the 650t and your colorado. I have very limited experience with the montana, but look under setup - maps for your map info. After visiting a cache, I note on my gps the "find" status, but write logs by hand on a PC/Mac.

Edited by Russ!

To upload your field notes is probably much the same as on the Colorado (here's where someone will point out the Colorado doesn't support field notes....)

Go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx and follow your nose from there. The file you want is x:\garmin\geocache_visits.txt (where X is the drive your computer has assigned to your Montana).

One other thing, the Montana will allow you to use a comma in your field notes. Don't use a comma in your field notes, as it interferes with the way it processes its own file on your calendar app. (I've reported this to Garmin)

You can find the map versions by going to Setup > Map > Map Information Select Map > choose whichever map out of your list of maps Then the i button at the bottom.

For the firmware version. Go to Setup again and scroll to the bottom to the About menu item. That gives you the version of the software.

Everyone advised me against the T version as there are better OSM maps available. However, being in the UK I got a very good deal on the 650 complete with 50K GB Discoverer map on SD along with a Birdseye Select voucher for 25K maps where I need them. I also got a years subscription to Birdseye Satellite Imagery. Didn't like that at all, but thats another story.

I have one and love it. I do use the 24K maps though for caching the 100K actually work pretty good and are much better at showing roads in areas that have been converted from private to public property. I trace them on the 100K as a route to paste on the 24K for the area I am in.

Yes the lack of a Carabiner clip is problematic but since they wanted to put it in a charging rack in the car they had to give up something. I took a piece of double sided velcro, cut it to just as wide as the d ring on the back and looped it on itself and around a carabiner to a double over lap and then just to be safe used a small wire tie pulled tight around it. Afterwards I thought I could have just used a wire tie.

I did have to modify the Ram-Mount for the bike to accommodate the carabiner though.

The 650t comes with 100k topo maps. On my oregon 450 and soon to been Montana 600, I didn't purchase "t" models. I prefer to use regional 24K maps which have better detail. That might be your issue between the 650t and your colorado. I have very limited experience with the montana, but look under setup - maps for your map info. After visiting a cache, I note on my gps the "find" status, but write logs by hand on a PC/Mac.

Dang, I don't mind buying/upgrading a map, but it looks like I'd have to have several to get the whole US and you can't fit'em all on at once...

As far as logging, thats what I have been doing too...

To upload your field notes is probably much the same as on the Colorado (here's where someone will point out the Colorado doesn't support field notes....)

Go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx and follow your nose from there. The file you want is x:\garmin\geocache_visits.txt (where X is the drive your computer has assigned to your Montana).

One other thing, the Montana will allow you to use a comma in your field notes. Don't use a comma in your field notes, as it interferes with the way it processes its own file on your calendar app. (I've reported this to Garmin)

Looks easy enough except one step. in Step 3. Where is click "Upload" on this page to upload your Field Notes.

To upload Field Notes from your Garmin Colorado, Garmin Dakota or Garmin Oregon:

1. Plug your Garmin device into your computer with a USB cable.

2. Click "Browse" on this web page and go to the Garmin directory on your device’s drive.

3. Select the file named "geocache_visits.txt" and click "Upload" on this page to upload your Field Notes.

4. We recommend that you delete the "geocache_visits.txt" file on your device once your Field Notes have been successfully uploaded.

You can find the map versions by going to Setup > Map > Map Information Select Map > choose whichever map out of your list of maps Then the i button at the bottom. For the firmware version. Go to Setup again and scroll to the bottom to the About menu item. That gives you the version of the software.

Everyone advised me against the T version as there are better OSM maps available. However, being in the UK I got a very good deal on the 650 complete with 50K GB Discoverer map on SD along with a Birdseye Select voucher for 25K maps where I need them. I also got a years subscription to Birdseye Satellite Imagery. Didn't like that at all, but thats another story.

Got it... Thanks

Thanks to all of you for the replies and tips...

I can't wait to find a few more caches, so I can try out this new (new to me) feature...

I guess I'll figure out what maps I want/need and get to saving up for them too...

I likely update the streets/navigation maps and get whatever Topo 24K maps cover from here in Missouri/Illinois down to FLorida as those are the states I'm in most.

Thanks again.

Edited by solo63137

When you plug your Garmin into the USB port, it appears as a drive called GARMIN. From the field notes option in your profile on the webpage there is an Upload My Field Notes link. Click that which opens another page with two buttons on it. Choose File and Upload Field Notes. Click Choose File and navigate to the geocache_visits.txt file that is in the garmin directory in the above GARMIN drive and select it. You should see the file geocache_visits.txt as the selected file shown next to the Choose File button. Now click the Upload Field Notes button on the same webpage. This will upload your file. Once uploaded it's advisable to delete the geocache_visits.txt file thats still sat in the Garmin folder on the Garmin drive which is your Montanna. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by WrongwayUK

Looks easy enough except one step. in Step 3. Where is click "Upload" on this page to upload your Field Notes.

To upload Field Notes from your Garmin Colorado, Garmin Dakota or Garmin Oregon:

1. Plug your Garmin device into your computer with a USB cable.

2. Click "Browse" on this web page and go to the Garmin directory on your device’s drive.

3. Select the file named "geocache_visits.txt" and click "Upload" on this page to upload your Field Notes.

4. We recommend that you delete the "geocache_visits.txt" file on your device once your Field Notes have been successfully uploaded.

Go to the link and then look towards the bottom of the screen. Or just browse directly to http://www.geocaching.com/my/uploadfieldnotes.aspx

Edit: Just looked back at the page. Beside the field where you enter the filename is a button marked "Browse..." and another marked "Upload Field Note". It's the latter button you want. Bad web design on Groundspeak's part by the looks.

I can't wait to find a few more caches, so I can try out this new (new to me) feature...

I guess I'll figure out what maps I want/need and get to saving up for them too...

I likely update the streets/navigation maps and get whatever Topo 24K maps cover from here in Missouri/Illinois down to FLorida as those are the states I'm in most.

Take a peek at http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl and see if anything there is suitable. I haven't used them but have heard good things about them (I only heard about them having got back from a long trip to PA where I found my rather dated 1:100k maps to be useable, if somewhat limiting). You'll find they don't take anywhere near as long to save up for B)

Edited by team tisri