Interstate Cache?

Dan2099

I own a few acres landlocked along an Interstate, I was thinking of placing a cache on my land that you could access through parking along the interstate for a quick grab and go. I am new to caching and never actually made one of my own so do you think that this is a good idea? There is plenty room for a car to pull off and no signs stating that you cannot stop, also it is in a rural area.

I own a few acres landlocked along an Interstate, I was thinking of placing a cache on my land that you could access through parking along the interstate for a quick grab and go. I am new to caching and never actually made one of my own so do you think that this is a good idea? There is plenty room for a car to pull off and no signs stating that you cannot stop, also it is in a rural area.

It's your property, do what you want. It's a good idea to say that the cache is on your own property in the description to relieve cachers looking for it from concerns about trespassing.

Edited by FobesMan

I don't know for sure but I believe it is illegal to stop alongside a US Interstate except for emergency situations.

Regardless I wouldn't stop on the side of an interstate for a cache. It is much to dangerous.

Hmmm...yeah, good point. I was thinking more along the lines of a highway, not an interstate. Is there a frontage road that parallels the interstate? That would be a better choice...

Edited by FobesMan

If it is your property, you should have some access to it someway. Or can get access to it.

If I owned a few acres landlocked by an Interstate, I would be looking for someone who would help me get access to it. Then place a cache. First things first.

If it is your property, you should have some access to it someway. Or can get access to it.

I've had to deal with "landlocked" property personally. I inherited some.

The owner of the property between yours and the nearest access road is required by law in Georgia to provide you with a right of way to access your property. If you're just putting a cache there, they should be forced to allow people to traverse their property to get to yours.

YMMV in your state.

I don't know for sure but I believe it is illegal to stop alongside a US Interstate except for emergency situations.

Regardless I wouldn't stop on the side of an interstate for a cache. It is much to dangerous.

I think you are correct about the Law. Also sounds like a cache I would not attempt due to safty concerns. Too many "rubber-neckers" may be a safty hazzard.

In NJ, at least, not sure about other places, pulling over to the side of the Interstate (or other highway) is illegal unless it is a legitimate emergency. Plus, getting out of the car is really dangerous on the shoulder an Interstate, especially here in Jersey! Everyone needs to get somewhere faster than the speed of light. All you need is someone talking on the phone or rubbernecking and it turns really bad really fast. I'd never attempt this cache, for fear or being ticketed, or worse, hurt or killed.

If you tell people to stop on the freeway to access the cache, it likely won't get published (as Keystone said).

If you just put the cache on your land and leave cachers to their own devices, your neighbors will probably have some trespassing incidents until someone is bold enough to just stop on the freeway and grab it.

If there is a legal way to get on your property without trespassing, you could make it a multi...with stages to direct cachers on the correct, safe, and legal access route.

If there is a legal way to get on your property without trespassing, you could make it a multi...with stages to direct cachers on the correct, safe, and legal access route.

My guess is that the land owners around him have to grant him a right of way to his property somehow. I like the idea of a multi, or set up a parking waypoint with specific directions on how to access the cache.

My guess is that the land owners around him have to grant him a right of way to his property somehow. I like the idea of a multi, or set up a parking waypoint with specific directions on how to access the cache.

Probably one of the adjoining properties has an easement in their deed allowing access to the landlocked property. It's probably going to take a bit of deed work to find that out.