Caching Road Trip Planner (like mapquest + a cache list along the route)

T3am Bandito

forgive me if this has been played out b4... but here is a recent email to Jeremy from moi regarding an idea i had (please start at bottom cut and past is a bit ugly) sorry! The message covers recent correspondance between me and Jeremy but the road trip planner idea is mid way what do you all think? would you use it?

T 3 a |/| B a || d i T 0

in oHIGHo

_____________________attached message_____

You won’t need a transceiver.

You’d be downloading the info to your palm as a static file you can look up on the road.

Great idea about searching along a route. Programming this will be interesting, but we’re working on some tools like these. J

Jeremy

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 8:56 AM

To: General Inquiries

Subject: Re: [GEN-020428.20822] Membership?

Jeremy,

I appreciate the follow up. Geochaching is a great thing for a load of people thank you much!

Palmable Geocaching sounds sweet.... does that mean I would need a transceiver for my palm?

Also, I had one other thought occurring to me while planning a cross country road trip (Cleveland to New Mexico). That is how handy would it be to be able to be able to plug in certain details of a road trip like start and finish, and have a feature on Geocaching tell me all the caches within a set distance from the route (say a route specified from mapquest or something) That way I could just dump in the start and finish locations and be presented with all of my cache options. I for one would use the heck out of a feature like this. I mean as it stands now, if I wanted to find out all the cache's I would be near I would have to punch in all the zips... I know I could use the state search but that would be a bit to broad. Anyway just an idea that occurred to me while planning a cross country caching / road trip.

Sincerely,

John

Team Bandito!

<-_|V|-|->

----- Original Message -----

To: sorrynospamhere!

Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 12:13 AM

Subject: RE: [GEN-020428.20822] Membership?

We’ll actually be providing that feature to everyone shortly. Right now we’re trying to get palmable Geocaching and the ability to do bulk downloads for EasyGPS.

Jeremy

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 1:16 AM

To: General Inquiries

Subject: [GEN-020428.20822] Membership?

To whom it may concern!

Myself and Team Bandito had a question about membership.... it sounds like it is in its infancy and there may still be an opportunity for input on benefits etc... any chance on member's being able to upload bigger photo's to the site? Just an idea... I have no idea about how much server space that would amount to... but heck I figured I would toss it out there since it would definatly sway me... im sure others feel the same way... how about forum bbs topic on what would be ideal member benefits?

Thanks

John

Team Bandito!

<-_|V|-|->

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

The software and means exist to plan routes based on random cache locations. This is very similar to planning a delivery route. The primary difference is that Deliveries use addresses (and geographic data bases do the same) and geocaches use coordinates. My GPS V can auto route 'close' to a coordinate so the problem isn't insurmountable. But it may not be worth the cost...

I am exceedingly glad that they are working on the bulk downloads! If I have that, I can download the whole bunch of coords to my Street Maps with the GPS. Then I can see what ones are close to the rout that street maps comes up with. Right now, its really difficult to get all the corrdinates that I need at 25 a download. Thank you so much for working on the bulk downloads!