Wisconsin cachers

HHD

I've been caching for a year now and I'm more than hooked. I love this hobby. I have found some great caches...and some not so great. What are your experiences out there. What things have you come across that you like and what things could you do with out.

Things I like, I live in a very heavily cache populated area. 1000 cache pq is only about 20 mile radius from my house after finding over 700 caches. I love that.

There are some creative cachers out there that make some fantastic hides, the goldiediggers, Dr doolittle, deuceus 5, analee and Mr greenthumb are just a few of the great hiders I have had the pleasure of finding. I'm sure I missed a few. Over the last year I have placed a few myself and enjoyed that very much.

Some of the things that I have found discouraging are poor maintainers, marking available in winter when its in a hole in the ground or under a pile of rocks & this new thing called gcrm (basically it is asking the finders to do your maintenance for you like new logs and new containers) .

No one from the national forums does much caching in WI, eh? I'll take a crack at this!

I've done a small amount of caching in and around the Waunakee/Portage/Pardeeville area. I was lucky enough to meet quite a few cachers from that area at an event a few months ago. I've solved a few of their puzzles and found a bunch of their caches and Sloughfoot, Lions Fan, kungfuhippie and 08rocklady are among the nicest cachers you are ever gonna meet

Up around my neck of the woods (far east metro of the Twin Cities area) we have another group of cachers that are just as nice: Spike007, Mama Kat, Da Bloodhound, and Zuma! are just a few of the cachers who I've met along the way up here and are all very fun and put out great hides. I've found almost all (257) of Spike007's active hides, but he just hid about 5 more so I have to get out and find them soon. Lots of them are either in state parks or on public hunting land or other good spots to take my dog out for a run. It is safe to say he's my favorite hider. Mama Kat also had an amazing series near Knapp, WI, on some nature center land. I did the entire series on one long, grueling but rewarding day. Then she asked if I could help her pick up the caches as she was going to redo the series so I went out and did most of the series again.

I love caches out in the woods. I'm not a huge fan of urban hides unless they are in a cemetery or a large park or along walking trails.

I'm also going to try to start doing more counties and DeLorme pages when time permits. I really love seeing new places and Geocaching is a great way to do that.