Possible record?

Funny, that when the geocacher approached the CO, the CO's reply was that the coordinates are correct and the maps, GPSr's and aerials are wrong.

This is hilarious! The CO instantly got defensive...even though the cacher actually FOUND the cache 69 miles from where it supposedly was!

People really have to start lightening up, not everything is a me versus them scenario...anyone can make the simple mistake of typing in a "6" instead of a "5".

Made me "lol"!

Drat! And I thought I had a good one... 57 miles - as the geocrow flies (over a 100 in real.)

GCYV23 (dyslexic old fart still hasn't learned to link :) )

I usually click on "all in State" or "nearest" when looking.

By the cache name/description knew it was one of my favorite trout areas in Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Headed out with corrected North and got FTF.

Odd thing was, a guy with over 7000 "finds" claimed a smiley from the original coords location. Guess it was payment for the drive.

When the CO corrected the coords, it was (yep) found to be on National Park Service property and archived by a reviewer the next day.

We get a lot of that around here, but not that far. Noticed a lot of newbies (or sock puppets) when you try to tell them the coords are off then boy do they go quiet and you don't hear from them again. I would suggest you contact the reviewer and let them know the cache either needs to be archived or the coords updated.

We get a lot of that around here, but not that far. Noticed a lot of newbies (or sock puppets) when you try to tell them the coords are off then boy do they go quiet and you don't hear from them again. I would suggest you contact the reviewer and let them know the cache either needs to be archived or the coords updated.

Nah, no worries. I'd like to see who finds it next and hear their story. Also, curious if the CO will ever correct the coords.

Nope, it;s not a record. I've done this - ie, found a cache that was published with coords at N27°xx xxx that was actually located at N28°xx xxx. And I'm sure I've read other examples of this here in the forums.

Not nearly as impressive a find as this example, the coords as published were in Tampa Bay, and would have been a boat or heavy duty wading cache, and the actual location was the clearly forested from the description.

Funny, that when the geocacher approached the CO, the CO's reply was that the coordinates are correct and the maps, GPSr's and aerials are wrong.

Went looking for one where a couple of cachers said that the cache could not be found. The description made no sense for the location. The CO, who was into orienteering, said that I should learn to use a GPS. He lives three hours away, and never corrected the coords, and the cache was archived. It does not sound like a simple transcription error, since the approximate location is about three miles northwest of the coords. Oh, well.

The hider has amassed 4 finds so far so his experience level must make him correct.

I hid one and when within hours after being published got an email saying he thought I had made an error. It popped up for him as a notification and he commented that it was high in the mountains in an area with no access, of course the terrain and difficulty weren't correct as well as the descrtiption. I disabled it and had the reviewer change the coords.

Sometimes there are typos.

Nope, it;s not a record. I've done this - ie, found a cache that was published with coords at N27°xx xxx that was actually located at N28°xx xxx. And I'm sure I've read other examples of this here in the forums.

Not nearly as impressive a find as this example, the coords as published were in Tampa Bay, and would have been a boat or heavy duty wading cache, and the actual location was the clearly forested from the description.

This is the same situation as the OP so you might think it's a tie. However 1 degree of latitude at 27 N is a bit less than 1 degree at 35 N due to the flattening of the earth at the poles (68.845 miles versus 68.941 miles). So your cache in Florida loses out to the OPs in Oklahoma. Sorry.

Nah, no worries. I'd like to see who finds it next and hear their story. Also, curious if the CO will ever correct the coords.

I'd like to see a Note posted with the coordinates of where it was found at.

We found a cache that was something like 49 miles off, seems as the cache hiders missed by just a little bit.

We knew where the cache location was but the numbers where off - 118, not 119 - so we just sat down with the mapping program and started punching numbers in until things fit.

We try and avoid telling the CO their numbers are wrong, we prefer using the term "different" when the numbers are close.

(But there are times when the numbers are just wrong no matter how PC one tries to be.)

I almost hunted one like that. The description talked about going by the brand new WalMart and placing a cache there. But the coords were in the middle of the woods near where I live, and as anybody who has seen a WalMart will know, they are never hidden in the middle of a forest. The one degree of west error would require driving about 160 miles one way because of the Chesepeake Bay, so I didn't look. But it remained unfound for a while because the publication and the coord change are based off the proximity to the mistaken area. So it waited until a local noticed it magically popped up on the map.

This cache is a puzzle, but I found it 6467 miles from the verified answer in Certitude.

I don't understand? The FTF found it 40ft from verification. Did you live that far from the cache?

The other day I saw a cache go live near my home, but I was caching in a different city. Then I saw it went disabled by the time I tried to see where it actually was. Cachers who were trying to find it realized it was about 69 miles away in Santa Cruz. Just one number wrong.

I'd like to see a Note posted with the coordinates of where it was found at.

N 35° 07.153 W 097° 15.924

General Disarray has disabled the geocache...for now.

Edited by TerraViators