AMBER ALERT

bigredmed

Good idea, bigredmed!

I have been hearing that the system, although new, has had some positive results when activated. The thought is also to have the electronic road signs with info when Amber is activated.

Buy Fuji

We've had Amber Alerts here longer than anywhere else in the country. It's not always a good thing. The authorities in each area need to learn when it really needs to be used. I've seen Amber Alerts issued with totally useless information like "look for a man in a white pickup" - no other information. This is Texas. You're REQUIRED to own a pickup.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

It looks like when the child is first abducted is when you need it most and you can't use it then until the police verify the child is missing.

Still 24 hours later is better than nothing and memory is still kinda fresh.

I dont think any part of the country still has a law requiring that 24hrs pass before considered missing. Even the areas that had that law (like here in Maryland) it did not apply to children.

quote:
Originally posted by SearchRescueDog:

I dont think any part of the country still has a law requiring that 24hrs pass before considered missing. Even the areas that _ had _ that law (like here in Maryland) it did not apply to children.

In the past few years, I've seen ALs issued within an hour of the child being reported missing. But unless it's known that a child has been abducted, it can do more harm in the long run to issue alerts before more facts are known. Soon, it would become just like the car alarm going off in the parking lot - people would just ignore it.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."