Pixelated photos

gr8garloo

I uploaded a couple pictures last night and they show up all pixelated when you click on the little camera icon from the cache page. Then when you click on the picture to view original everything's fine. I had seen on someone else's log a similar note so i figure I'm not the only one

Mine, too. I believe I saw a thread on this a while back that said that this happens the first time the picture is viewed after being uploaded. I've never noticed it happening on anything except the log page, though. Not really a problem, but I don't know why it happens...

In the background when you upload a picture, the image is at its largest size (around 600 pixels wide). When you view the log page it creates two additional sizes - A thumbnail and a display image. Because it shrinks and saves the image, the final image is the thumbnail but it displays in the size of a display image. So you're viewing the thumbnail (100 pixels) at the display size (300 pixels). Once you refresh it realizes that the images have been resized and shows you the correct (display) image.

Because it isn't a big deal I haven't focused on fixing it. Once you refresh it fixes itself. I'm also redoing the image upload code so it didn't make sense to work on fixing a minor issue on code that I was doing away with anyway.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

If you're fixing the image upload, could you modify the size limits to account for a lttle slack? I have tried to upload images in the past that my system said were 98 or 99 kb and gc.com rejected it saying it was over the 100 kb limit. I'm not sure why this is happening but it seems simple enough the say the limit is 100 kb but set the actual limit at 101 or 102 kb to account for incorrect file size estimations.

By the way, thanks for all the changes to the site Jeremy. Although some changes have taken a bit of time to get used to, I appreciate the hard work you folks have put in! icon_smile.gif

Scott of Team GeoDillo

quote:
I have tried to upload images in the past that my system said were 98 or 99 kb and gc.com rejected it saying it was over the 100 kb limit.

I Also have had pictures in the 80's reject as over size... I just try again and it takes it.

Very odd though...

lthaus