DECLINED - [FEATURE] option to ignore all Premium caches

The HERB5

You can already do this with Pocket Queries: Just check "Are available to all users" and make sure "Are for members only" isn't checked.

Not if you're NOT a Member. <_<

I understand the reason for showing PM caches as the incentive to spend $30, that's business.

But once that decision has been made I think their should be an option to hide PM caches in your Profile.

Becoming a PM should be about wanting the Features and not about removing annoyances...

To me the 'feature' is to be able to see those PM caches ;)

Nonetheless, 'annoyances' are also quite often used to encourage people to upgrade from free access to a costly system.

It's worth the upgrade. Unless you have a beef with GS and don't want to give them your money. In which case, you probably won't get any sympathy for having to deal with 'annoyances'

:anibad:

ETA: Unless you mean as a premium member, the ability to hide all premium member caches. Not sure why one would want that feature, but I suppose it's a legitimate request...

Edited by thebruce0

You can already do this with Pocket Queries: Just check "Are available to all users" and make sure "Are for members only" isn't checked.

Not if you're NOT a Member. <_<

I understand the reason for showing PM caches as the incentive to spend $30, that's business.

But once that decision has been made I think their should be an option to hide PM caches in your Profile.

Becoming a PM should be about wanting the Features and not about removing annoyances...

As far as I am aware you can't ignore caches period unless you are a premium member. So if you want to ignore premium you gotta become one.

It all depends on what message GS wants to send out.

Are Basic Members EXPECTED to go Premium or go away. If so, let the annoyances continue.

If they ARE part of a Community then GS shouldn't actively frustrate that community...

IMHO cachers should WANT to become PREMIUM for positive reasons.

It all depends on what message GS wants to send out.

Are Basic Members EXPECTED to go Premium or go away. If so, let the annoyances continue.

If they ARE part of a Community then GS shouldn't actively frustrate that community...

IMHO cachers should WANT to become PREMIUM for positive reasons.

I know lots and lots of non-premium members. Not one of them has ever complained, at least to me, about premium caches being an annoyance, or a frustration. They simple pretend they don't exist, or go along with premium members when they look for them.

I have a strong feeling this is pretty much a non-issue, even for the vast majority of non-premium members. I'll change my mind if and when hordes of non-premium members "vote" for this change.

--Larry

Edited to add that, at least in my area, premium caches comprise less than 5% of all active caches. There really aren't a whole lot of them to get upset about, even if one were so inclined.

Edited by larryc43230

Edited to add that, at least in my area, premium caches comprise less than 5% of all active caches. There really aren't a whole lot of them to get upset about, even if one were so inclined.

Exactly, look at Northants and to a lesser extent Beds. I would estimate half the caches are MO.

I feel too high a percentage could be detrimental to the sport/pastime...

Unless you mean as a premium member, the ability to hide all premium member caches. Not sure why one would want that feature, but I suppose it's a legitimate request...

I can think of a reason for premium members: It can save them from viewing a PM only cache by accident and thus ending up in the audit log.

As a basic member, I have no use for the requested feature.

Cezanne

I can think of a reason for premium members: It can save them from viewing a PM only cache by accident and thus ending up in the audit log.

Cezanne

That's happened to me a number of times now. Mostly with notifications on the phone. It doesn't say PMO on the brief description and you find out when it's opened. So far, no one has questioned me on it (the audit log.)

Exactly, look at Northants and to a lesser extent Beds. I would estimate half the caches are MO.

I feel too high a percentage could be detrimental to the sport/pastime...

There's a good reason why so many caches in Northamptonshire and Bedfordshire (UK) are PMO. This was done a while back to give them some protection from deliberate cache destruction which was happening 12 - 18 months ago. There is still some "odd" activity happening to some caches in the UK Midlands. I suspect cache owners in that area are not inclined to make their caches open-to-all yet.

MrsB

There's a good reason why so many caches in Northamptonshire and Bedfordshire (UK) are PMO. This was done a while back to give them some protection from deliberate cache destruction which was happening 12 - 18 months ago. There is still some "odd" activity happening to some caches in the UK Midlands. I suspect cache owners in that area are not inclined to make their caches open-to-all yet.

The security theater excuse. Unfortunately, it never works.

Are Basic Members EXPECTED to go Premium or go away.

YES :unsure:

Not at all. But we are not going to bend over backwards to develop a feature for those who do not provide any support for the site, particularly when that feature has such a low demand.

I seem to remember in the past WE could give support by placing caches.

Funny that there are lots of 5yr+ basic members still happily enjoying the site.

Was that a personal dig, how constructive. :unsure:

I thought this forum was about how to make the experience MORE enjoyable, for ALL...

PS I have been a PM in the past.

MrsB

I know, I was one who had caches trashed...

Just because I'm not PM doesn't mean I don't contribute...

I feel the % of PM is defintely detrimental to the pastime.

Not my problem tho' as I live and Work in Bucks. :lol:

That's happened to me a number of times now. Mostly with notifications on the phone. It doesn't say PMO on the brief description and you find out when it's opened. So far, no one has questioned me on it (the audit log.)

Eh?

Are you saying that you expect someone to ask you why you looked at their cache? I've never heard of that happening before! :o

All our caches are PMO and don't care who looks at the cache pages and very rarely look at the audit log because it is of very little use. It shows who has looked at the actual cache page but doesn't show who has viewed the details via a PQ or on a phone etc

I usually take ours off PMO once archived... ;)

Mark

Eh?

Are you saying that you expect someone to ask you why you looked at their cache? I've never heard of that happening before! :o

It has happened several times that cachers who have looked at a PMO cache, but have not found it, got contacted when the cache got muggled. Sometimes they are even accused of being responsible for the muggling. I also know cases where someone looked at a cache repeatedly and was asked why he/she was doing so.

Personally, I have no issue with the PM-only option for caches, but one with audit logs.

Cezanne

Funny that there are lots of 5yr+ basic members still happily enjoying the site.

Was that a personal dig, how constructive. :unsure:

I thought this forum was about how to make the experience MORE enjoyable, for ALL...

PS I have been a PM in the past.

Personal dig?

You stated that basic member are expected go premium or go away. The fact that there are a LOT of 5yr+ members still using the site proves that is not the case.