Acquiring GC code before actually publishing the cache?

domromer

Is there a way to get the GC code before I actually publish and hide a cache? I like to have the log and the container marked with the code before it goes out.

I thought I figured it out last week but I ended up getting an email saying my cache had been published. I quickly disabled it as it was sitting on my desk at home.

WHile I am aware of no way to do so, I have gone back to the cache, after it is published, with the permanent log book. The original log is generic, I then replace it with the new permanent log book with cache name and GC code on it. If it has been signed/found already, I transfer the names onto the permanent log. A little cumbersome and annoying, but it worked for the two I have out

When filling in the on-line form, just below the co-ordinate details, make sure that the little check box "Enable cache listing..." is un-checked.

Fill in details for your new cache, go to the bottom of the form, check the two boxes and then click "Report New Listing".

You'll get to see your new cache page as it is, complete with the GC number allocated to it, but it won't have gone through for review and publication.

You can now edit it as often as you want and add waypoints etc. Once it's all perfect and the cache is in place, then go and put that tick in the box. This time when you "Report New Listing" it will go through for review.

MrsB :)

Edited by The Blorenges
  • Helpful 1

Is there a way to get the GC code before I actually publish and hide a cache? I like to have the log and the container marked with the code before it goes out.

I thought I figured it out last week but I ended up getting an email saying my cache had been published. I quickly disabled it as it was sitting on my desk at home.

What I do is create a new cache listing (making sure not to enable the listing yet) and plug in some approximate coordinates for the area where I want to hide the cache, plus at least the minimum information required for a new cache. As soon as I hit the "Report New Listing" button, I get a cache page for the new cache that includes a spiffy new GC Code that's mine forever.

Then I prepare the cache itself, including a label and a log book or log sheet with the GC Code included; go to the cache site and hide the cache in that perfect hiding spot; get the coordinates of the hiding spot; return home and polish up the cache listing (including the all-important coordinates); enable the cache for review; click the button and hold my breath waiting eagerly for the reviewer to publish my new cache.

Works for me!

--Larry

P.S. Should have known better than to get that cup of coffee before responding. These guys are fast! :laughing:

Edited by larryc43230

Hi, I can see that the aforementioned worked with the old way of submiting caches. Is there a possible workaround with the new way of it? TIA.

You can either do the new cache submission process, but save it without publishing it-I think you can anyway. I don't use the new way myself. Or on the cache submission page there is a link to go back to the old way.

You have to go thru the creation process, but the option to 'not enable' is there new or old.

Once you finish editting seems to be the old way or similar.

I am just doing my first cache, and it is a little confusing at times, but I'm getting it done.

Worst part is remembering to always check the 'have read' boxes but not the 'enable' in order to save the changes.

I lost a lot one day on my first try, but figured out that was the problem.

Doug 7rxc