GSAK V.8 is an even greater product now

I hadn't been geocaching very much and had not used GSAK 8. Boy, was I surprised at how much better it is with the Geocaching.com API's. I like the fact that my pocket queries are easier to get on my computer and that I can now easily check the status of all of the geocaches in my database. If you haven't upgraded yet, you are missing out. I do wish that the upgrade was a little less. I think the upgrade should have been about $10 across the board. But, other than that, it is great(er).

*disclaimer:

I have no vested interest in GSAK, I don't work for Clyde, I was not paid for this endorsement, and I do not mean for this post to seem like an advertisement for GSAK.

Jeep Del Fuego

all rights reserved, 12.1.2011

Edited by jeepdelfuego

Personally, I think Clyde does not charge enough. Aside from the basic functionality being very easy to use and intuitive, as you get to know the program slicing and dicing your data, removing archived caches, loading specifically what you want on any given GPSr all becomes basically one-click.

Rarely has someone gone 24 hours or longer without a reply from Clyde to issues or feature requests. Even though I know he is in a significantly different time zone than most of his users, the guy never seems to sleep, I would have had no issue paying the full price over again for the program.

Rarely has someone gone 24 hours or longer without a reply from Clyde to issues or feature requests. Even though I know he is in a significantly different time zone than most of his users, the guy never seems to sleep, I would have had no issue paying the full price over again for the program.

+1

Every time I pony up for a new version of GSAK, I get the feeling I should be paying more for everything I'm getting. Even after getting a smart phone and geocaching apps, I still rely on GSAK for 90% of my cache planning.

--Larry

+1

Version 8 is amazing.... Being able to get 6000 caches on the fly is fantastic for vacation trips... I used to spend an hour setting up PQs for my trips to make sure I get enough coverage (1000 caches around big german cities don't get you far) - now I can do it on the fly.... Upgrade discount was a very nice bonus... Even at full price it's worth every penny and then some....

I have upgraded to V8 by mistake, as I had not realized that it is a paying version. I'm rather angry against the GSAK editor, as the fact that V8 is a paying version is not advertized clearly when upgrading. Worse is that when you upgrade to V8, all your databases are upgraded too, and are no more compatible with V7. So, it is impossible to go back to the free (already paid) V7 version without loosing all your work. The only way I found to get out of this nightmare is to delete everything and to start re-installing V7 from scratch.

NB: from following replies, I understand that I could have restarted from the backup databases. So, may-be I have been too fast in deleting everything...

Edited by DeepPurple

I have upgraded to V8 by mistake, as I had not realized that it is a paying version. I'm rather angry against the GSAK editor, as the fact that V8 is a paying version is not advertized clearly when upgrading. Worse is that when you upgrade to V8, all your databases are upgraded too, and are no more compatible with V7. So, it is impossible to go back to the free (already paid) V7 version without loosing all your work. The only way I found to get out of this nightmare is to delete everything and to start re-installing V7 from scratch. Thank you GSAK for having destroyed all my databases!

Are you sure you don't have an auto back up of all databases saved - have a look in the backup folder under GASK. Maybe it has gone though if you did decide to delete everything. Mind you V8 with the api interface is leagues better than V7 and well worth the cost of a few bottles of wine.

I just upgraded to version 8, as well. I never really used my previous version very much as I felt my paperless handhelds were providing the information I needed for casual geocaching. But, having read some of the very positive comments about this version and it's use with modern GPS devices, I would definitely like to be more familiar with it's features. Is there a video tutorial available for someone who's not too technically savvy?

I can honestly say without hyperbole that GSAK8 has revolutionized the way I prepare for caching. I set all my local PQs to run every day now knowing with one click in GSAK all the latest info will get downloaded without me going to the website to pull them manually.

I also love how as more caches get hidden and my PQ covers less distance those caches which are further away and get missed my the PQ are now updated via the API.

GSAK is the only software I have paid for three times (v6, v7 and v8) and not compained about having to do that.

Do a backup. Install the old one. Do a restore. No problem.

Version 8 databases will corrupt version 7 databases. Version 7 reading version 8 databases will lead to wailing and gnashing of teeth. The only way to go from version 8 to version 7 is to export .gpx files on version 8 and then import those files on version 7.

I think its time for Gs to revise the limits on pocket queries... 1000 caches per pocket query doesnt cut it anymore let alone being limited to 5 pqs a day.

Why are folks limited to such draconian limits when users of a paying third party software that eliminates the need to come to the website altogether should have easier access to the database?

I think its time for Gs to revise the limits on pocket queries... 1000 caches per pocket query doesnt cut it anymore let alone being limited to 5 pqs a day.

Why are folks limited to such draconian limits when users of a paying third party software that eliminates the need to come to the website altogether should have easier access to the database?

Because the 3rd party software does some things the website does not and the website does things the 3rd party software does not do. But the limits on the API are only slightly higher than the PQ limits so the 3rd party software does not give you unlimited pillaging of the GS database. I still find PQ's quite useful and still use them, especially the caches along the route that is not available in the API. And a large segment of the user community does not use the 3rd party solutions but download the PQ's directly into their GPS, hard to believe, but true.

But I must admit yours is the first post in at least a year and half that complained about the PQ limits. It use to be a never ending topic, but when the smartphones became more popular the topic never came up.

Because the 3rd party software does some things the website does not and the website does things the 3rd party software does not do. But the limits on the API are only slightly higher than the PQ limits so the 3rd party software does not give you unlimited pillaging of the GS database.

But by using the API, you get those 6000 caches plus the 5000 from PQs, don't you?

I fully agree with ZeMartelo here.

Because the 3rd party software does some things the website does not and the website does things the 3rd party software does not do. But the limits on the API are only slightly higher than the PQ limits so the 3rd party software does not give you unlimited pillaging of the GS database.

But by using the API, you get those 6000 caches plus the 5000 from PQs, don't you?

No - I think the API draws from the PQs you have set up - so data you pull down will only be as fresh as those PQs are? (But I could be wrong....)

No - I think the API draws from the PQs you have set up - so data you pull down will only be as fresh as those PQs are? (But I could be wrong....)

Yep, you are wrong.

Yep, you are wrong.

Not totally. In GSAK, there is an option, using the API, to download all the PQ's that you have not previously and that does go against the API totals and uses existing PQ's. There is also an option (I do not have it up in front of me right now) that allows you to update all the caches in your current filter, it counts against the API account and can take a little bit as the API pauses after a set amount of time.

Both of these methods require you to have the information already either via a PQ or a GPX download direct from the cache, so in a roundabout way, yes, it is dependant on your PQs.

I am not aware of a way to get caches downloaded that are not either in a PQ or already in your offline database, the later giving the freshest data.

The moment I saw that API access was in v.8...

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

The ability to download multiple PQ results, the ability to get GPX when the site's PQ generator is down, and the ability to quickly check if certain caches have been archived - that alone is worth the price of entry to me. I upgraded the moment the option was available, when it was in late beta.

I still feel that the interface is antiquated, but I'd rather have functionality over eye candy any day.

Yep, you are wrong.

Not totally. In GSAK, there is an option, using the API, to download all the PQ's that you have not previously and that does go against the API totals and uses existing PQ's. There is also an option (I do not have it up in front of me right now) that allows you to update all the caches in your current filter, it counts against the API account and can take a little bit as the API pauses after a set amount of time.

Both of these methods require you to have the information already either via a PQ or a GPX download direct from the cache, so in a roundabout way, yes, it is dependant on your PQs.

I am not aware of a way to get caches downloaded that are not either in a PQ or already in your offline database, the later giving the freshest data.

I think your wrong about the PQ download going against the API limits. But the quick way around that is download the PQ's from the website directly and the you still have your 6000 cache download via API. You call also do a lite download that is capped at 10000.

As for the cache download you can define a circular area to download the caches or a bounding box to download the caches. The PQ does not allow the bounding box. These search areas do not need to be previously defined in a PQ. You can also specify in the API download to not download caches found in a list of up to five cachers. This I know is a fact, I have API downloads defined that are *NOT* defined as a PQ and some of the API downloads use a bounding box search area and some make use of the cacher exclusion list. The delays in the downloading is when you hit the 30 log per minute limit, the API pauses for the remaining portion of the minute before continuing.

I think some of the folks posting here really need to spend a bit more time reading the help files for GSAK.

Edited by jholly

I just did a quick test. Downloaded a 500 point pq. Then 100 on the api and it said I had 5900 left. And the title on the api download says downloads via api so they (pqs) don't count. 11,000 a day should be all any one needs.

Yes 11000 caches a day should be enough but I dont have that, I only have 5000 caches a day split into 5 pocket queries.

Like I said its time for GS to revise those PQ limits.

I just did a quick test. Downloaded a 500 point pq. Then 100 on the api and it said I had 5900 left. And the title on the api download says downloads via api so they (pqs) don't count. 11,000 a day should be all any one needs.

Yes 11000 caches a day should be enough but I dont have that, I only have 5000 caches a day split into 5 pocket queries.

Ain't going to happen. It's time for you to get a smartphone just like all the others that cried for more PQ slots two years ago. You might be a really good cacher, but 5,000 a day is more than you can find in a day.

Ain't going to happen. It's time for you to get a smartphone just like all the others that cried for more PQ slots two years ago. You might be a really good cacher, but 5,000 a day is more than you can find in a day.

Why do you need to have access to 11000 caches/day then?

Why do you need to have access to 11000 caches/day then?

I don't. My daily download average is probably around 10 or 20. Some times I use a PQ, some times I use the API. It depends.

You might be a really good cacher, but 5,000 a day is more than you can find in a day.

I don't know why that argument keeps popping up. 1,500 caches is also more than anyone can find in a day (and in fact, even 200 is more than most people can find in a day), yet we get 5,000 per day. Well, and then some other people get 11,000 per day, just because they use a certain application.

You might be a really good cacher, but 5,000 a day is more than you can find in a day.

I don't know why that argument keeps popping up. 1,500 caches is also more than anyone can find in a day (and in fact, even 200 is more than most people can find in a day), yet we get 5,000 per day. Well, and then some other people get 11,000 per day, just because they use a certain application.

Speaking for myself, when I travel through several states it is really easy to exceed thousands of caches downloaded, especially if you change routes along the way. There are times when it's convenient to have 10 or 15 k caches loaded locally, especially in remote areas with no data service for the phone. Great plans can change sometimes. A laptop with gsak 8 can help.

Oh, and for the record, we have a popular challenge here in Houston for "Comma club in a day" and there are a surprising number of cachers in that club. I'm not among them, but several geoFriends are...it happens.

Edited by KeyResults

With netbooks down in the $100+ range and wifi everywhere it makes more sense to just do queries as you go. If you are considering a tablet then I think the Toshiba actually has a USB output so you can do the query and load it on your gps right there in Starbucks before you head out. If you want a visual there are many programs. I use Locus Pro.