Garmin Montana FW 3.66 Beta

Catch

Nice one. I see they have incorporated the lack of compass with no sat fix problem that I commented on last week. Fast work.

I wonder if this also caused the compass to not work properly when you think it has sat-coverage. Will find out soon if this fixed all compass issues :grin:

I still have the broken "Save Always" pressure trending in the 3.66 Beta. Anyone else too?

When "Save Always" is selected in the barometer setup and you turn the unit off it doesn't record any data. Instead when you turn the unit on you'll see a straight line from power off to power on (no dynamic data).

Have you emailed the beta team at Garmin. I have sent an email for two separate things and had replies with good results.

Yes I did and get a reply, that they can't reproduce this error.

I did hardreset my device and it still didn't work (as it was in 3.60).

So I wonder if I'm the only one with this error.

Have you emailed the beta team at Garmin. I have sent an email for two separate things and had replies with good results.

Yes I did and get a reply, that they can't reproduce this error.

I did hardreset my device and it still didn't work (as it was in 3.60).

So I wonder if I'm the only one with this error.

I must admit this isn't an area I have experimented with yet. If I get chance I will try it out this week and see what results I get.

I still have the broken "Save Always" pressure trending in the 3.66 Beta. Anyone else too?

When "Save Always" is selected in the barometer setup and you turn the unit off it doesn't record any data. Instead when you turn the unit on you'll see a straight line from power off to power on (no dynamic data).

YES!!! I have this problem as well. I reported it to Garmin but they weren't able to reproduce the problem. They have said to document it well, complete with screen shots and a documentation of settings, and get back to them. The only problem is that my unit is being exchanged by Garmin at the moment so I can't document it.

It's up to you Subraid!

YES!!! I have this problem as well. I reported it to Garmin but they weren't able to reproduce the problem. They have said to document it well, complete with screen shots and a documentation of settings, and get back to them.

They asked me the same and I already did it (screenshot, documentation).

"Good" to hear, that I'm not the only one with this problem.

They asked me the same and I already did it (screenshot, documentation).

"Good" to hear, that I'm not the only one with this problem.

No, you're not the only one, but I think this issue is one that not alot of people will notice. Number one, I think most people use "Save When Power On" as their barometer setting, and number 2, even if they enable "Save Always" I don't think most know what to look for in the barometer plot (straight line data).

Thanks for reporting it.

Edited by yogazoo

I must admit I am struggling to see the straight line plot problem. I have just done a test. I have set Auto Cal off. Baro Mode fixed elevation and save always. Plot type baro pressure. I calibrated altitude to 190 ft which is my location ASL. Then turned off the Montana. To effect a pressure change I drove to sea level and back. Total time was 1 hour. On return powered up and checked the baro plot. It had followed my pressure change of the journey (about 6 millibar for 190 feet). So not sure if I have done the test correct or if it's an intermittent problem.

Edited by WrongwayUK

I must admit I am struggling to see the straight line plot problem. I have just done a test. I have set Auto Cal off. Baro Mode fixed elevation and save always. Plot type baro pressure. I calibrated altitude to 190 ft which is my location ASL. Then turned off the Montana. To effect a pressure change I drove to sea level and back. Total time was 1 hour. On return powered up and checked the baro plot. It had followed my pressure change of the journey (about 6 millibar for 190 feet). So not sure if I have done the test correct or if it's an intermittent problem.

My settings were: Auto Calibration-ON, Barometer Mode-Variable Elevation, Plot-Barometer, Save Always.

Barometric pressure is generally very dynamic over time. If you turn your unit off before bedtime, when you wake up you will never see a straight line from when you turned it off to when you turned it on. If you DO see a straight line then the pressure is not being recorded while the unit is off.

Given your settings are different than mine we may have found our culprit. It may be that a certain setting is causing the unit not to record. I'm not saying there is a correct way to have the settings for this function to operate properly, what I am saying is that "SAVE ALWAYS" is really the only setting that matters and something else set a certain way may be breaking this operation.

It's a stretch, and probably not the case, but I have to wonder if the new batch vs old batch of Montana GPS has anything to do with this problem??

We'll have another data point in a few days as I get my replacement from Garmin which should be in the newer batch. I'm thinking it unlikely but crazier things have happened.

Just to be certain it want a fluke yesterday I tried the experiment again with exactly the same settings as Subraid shows above. I have had the GPS turned off for the last two hours but noticed on the weather station the pressure was rising here. This is what has been recorded since it was turned off.

279i.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Something I have noticed happening since this latest beta. I occasionally get a warning message when I switch on saying An Image File in a Custom Map is far too Big. Images that are Too Big will not appear on the map.

I haven't added any maps or images since the beta update. In fact as a precaution I deleted any images that were still in the JPG folder in case it was one of them. In no one has any ideas I will drop a note to the beta team.

Edited by WrongwayUK

Has anyone else noted that map display freezes frequently when you zoom way in (20' -30') as you approach a cache in the geocaching mode? Mine does but the dashboard compass and distance still work.

Would someone please post or direct me to the email address of the beta team?

Has anyone else noted that map display freezes frequently when you zoom way in (20' -30') as you approach a cache in the geocaching mode? Mine does but the dashboard compass and distance still work.

Would someone please post or direct me to the email address of the beta team?

I had a situation where my map froze, as did the "distance to dest" field. That appeared to be a case where I'd told the GPS to route me to the cache, it had decided (for reasons which will probably never be clear) to route me past it to then turn around and return, and then as I passed the cache everything froze. Luckily I only went about 800 feet past it so it was easy enough to turn back.

The email you need is MontanaBeta (at) garmin.com

Heres another plot. Quite a strange one. I left the Montana with the same settings on the desk for the last 5 hours. About 3 hours ago there is a spike to 1044mb. Something to keep an eye on.

327r.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm finding out that there is a big difference in the "Fixed Elevation" vs "Variable Elevation" setting as far as how the barometer plot looks even with a stationary unit. If anyone is having a problem with their Barometer plot try changing between these two values and you will watch the plot that has already been recorded change so much it looks like a completely different plot. I could be on the wrong track here but I don't think the barometric data plot should change after the fact simply by changing between the afforementioned settings. I'm thinking there is more than one issue with the barometer plot that Garmin should address.

My plot is still not recording when powered off and I found out last night that when "Battery Save" is on and the screen turns itself off (in "Variable Elevation" mode) the barometer fails to plot (or show) dynmamic data. BUT when I change to "Fixed Elevation" mode the graph changes and shows dynamic data. The recorded barometer data is the recorded barometer data and it shouldn't retroactively change just by changing between "Variable" and "Fixed" elevation modes. Should it? And if so could someone explain why it should?

My Settings: Auto Calibration-ON / Variable Elevation / Save Always / Barometer Plot

I have used the barometer plot quite often on all my other Garmins dating back to the old 60c and I consider myself pretty well versed in it's expected operation. It's dissapointing to me to observe issues with it's operation on the Montana.

I know Garmin is aware that people are having issues with the barometer data. Hopefully they have enough data to release a fix in the next software release.

Edited by yogazoo

I think it could be an issue with elevation as well as barometric pressure.

I've used the Grade field and Vertical Speed fields and both have given me answers that range from looking reasonable to being clearly absurd.

I've been pushing the bike up a big hill only to see that the Grade is apparently 0%, then noticed when the hill flattened off that it was 7%, I've been freewheeling down hills with my Vertical Speed showing I'm climbing, and so on.

I've used the Grade field and Vertical Speed fields and both have given me answers that range from looking reasonable to being clearly absurd.

I've been pushing the bike up a big hill only to see that the Grade is apparently 0%, then noticed when the hill flattened off that it was 7%, I've been freewheeling down hills with my Vertical Speed showing I'm climbing, and so on.

Fairly certain you have to be travelling at vehicle speeds to get any useful or accurate data from the "Grade" data field. It does work, and well, when your in your car.

Edited by yogazoo

Fairly certain you have to be travelling at vehicle speeds to get any useful or accurate data from the "Grade" data field. It does work, and well, when your in your car.

That's a shame, when I'm in my car I don't really care what the grade is.

I noticed today that my Garmin Topo 24K trail colors are back to looking like unpaved roads. Can anyone with a Garmin TopoUS 24K series map loaded on their unit please verify this before I report to Garmin? They fixed this way back in vesion 3.20 but I think it's broken again. Thank you in advance.

Another bug in version 3.66: view the map in "Automotive Mode" (street view) and enable a dashboard, now switch to Landscape mode, the transparency in the dashboard becomes opaque.

I've also been looking at the barometer page again and the "Variable Elevation" vs "Fixed Elevation" plot changes DO make sense. When in "Fixed Elevation" mode your plot will look identical to the ambient pressure plot. The only difference will be the numbers when you review the plot. Ok that part makes sense but I still don't see any dynamic data when "Variable Elevation" and "Save Always" are selected and I power down or my screen goes blank in "Battery Save" mode. Wierd.

Edited by yogazoo

I noticed today that my Garmin Topo 24K trail colors are back to looking like unpaved roads. Can anyone with a Garmin TopoUS 24K series map loaded on their unit please verify this before I report to Garmin? They fixed this way back in vesion 3.20 but I think it's broken again. Thank you in advance.

My 24K maps are showing trails as black and white dashes. These were red and white after that fix awhile back, right?

My 24K maps are showing trails as black and white dashes. These were red and white after that fix awhile back, right?

You are correct. They were fixed to be distinguishable from unpaved roads but now they look like unpaved roads again. After the fix in version 3.20 they were dashed with a reddish color.

Edited by yogazoo