Suggested Things to Bring On a Cache Hunt

Dave216

I almost always take my Android phone with Neongeo, pens (a Fisher Space Pen and an ultra-fine Sharpie market), my personal signature tokens, small items to trade for others' personal signature items, and weatherproof log sheets, plus things that I always carry on my person (wallet, keys, Leatherman Micra, etc.). Beyond that, it depends on where I'm geocaching.

Here's some additional suggestions:

http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Things_to_bring_in_the_woods

I almost always take my Android phone with Neongeo, pens (a Fisher Space Pen and an ultra-fine Sharpie market), my personal signature tokens, small items to trade for others' personal signature items, and weatherproof log sheets, plus things that I always carry on my person (wallet, keys, Leatherman Micra, etc.). Beyond that, it depends on where I'm geocaching.

Here's some additional suggestions:

http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Things_to_bring_in_the_woods

I also include a pair of gloves, spare batteries for my Oregon, a small first aid kit and more water than I think I need (after all I live in the desert).

I make sure to carry some string or rope. That has come in handy on several occasions. I also carry a Gerber multi-tool. The Gerber tools lock in place and if you carry the other brand they usually fold up on a finger pinching it. I carry some paper towels with me to dry out wet containers. I also carry a small notebook to write info down in, you know like TB numbers if I just want to discover them. I always carry my walking stick, which is trackable, because sometimes you need an extra long arm to reach some caches. Carrying extra log books or papers is another good idea if the one in the cache you found it all wet.

i always have a messenger bag with me with my supplies in it unless im just going to grab on near my work on lunch hour or something.

in the bag i have a first aid kit, multitool, flash light, rope/string, pens/pencils, and swag for trading.

i also always wear my hiking boots and bring my walking stick. even though the caches that i have done have been in more urban areas, the boots and stick have kept me from falling down a few hills.

oh and course my Iphone which is acting as my GPS until i get a new handheld.

Edited by ArcadiaExeter

We take more than one pen, just in case! I have three in my caching bag, one is a a mini with 4 different colours of ink. There is usually a pen in the car.

Retired dental tweezers (ask your dentist) are great for extracting those nano logs. I also have a mirror on a telescoping handle. Cell phone, compass, hand sanitizer. Snacks and drinks.

Hiking stick....helps keep me upright and is great for poking around. I love hearing the sound of a poked container!

Definitely a pair of leather gloves for everyone in your party.

I always bring a multitool but have never used it. If I ever forget it I'm sure I will need it.

Buy everyone in your party an inexpensive pair of clear safety glasses. You can get them for around $3 at your local big box. Imagine being deep in the woods and getting a stick in your eye from a tree branch. How would you get yourself out of the woods? it is well worth the $3 investment.

Buy yourself some serious bug spray. It's usually sold in the camping department of specialty stores and smells horrible. If you buy something that smells pretty the bugs will laugh at you as they eat you alive.

A small flashlight to look in dark holes before you poke your hand in.

An ultra fine point Sharpie will write on damp logs.

Buy yourself a good pair of hiking shoes. The best you can afford.

Usually I have my geo-bag with me. In it I have a flash light, extra batteries, a note pad (great for working on multis and puzzles and for tossing sheets into containers with full books), extra pens, a baggy full of swag to leave behind, a baggy with trackables I'm moving, paper towel, camera, multi-tool. Used to have tweezers but I'm not sure I do anymore. I carry my walking stick with me. It's also known as my poking stick as I'd rather poke that into deep dark places rather than shove my hand. Also comes in handy for finding caches hidden on the ground by pine straw.

I carry spare batteries for phone and camera, spare log sheets (various sizes) multitool, swag, first aid kit, loads of pencils (*cough* free from argos/ikea)I drop one in any big cache that doesn't have one, granola bars, a map of the area/route (if the trip was planned), waterproof bag for phone, handwipes a real magnetic compass (not that I know how to use it :D) and a notebook. I carry a walking pole and have a 5w cree headtorch on order.

I will be adding ziploc bags when I spot some cheap. :)

Most of our planned routes take us past a pub at some point, so refreshments are en-route :)

Edited by frosty68

I saw some cheap ziploc bags on eBay. 3" x 3.25" for £1.90 per 100 post free. just search ziploc bags and the chap has quite a few postings.

I'm from Yorkshire, I was hoping for the same number of bags from a poundshop (or, better yet, a 99p store!) :)

I might check our poundshop tomorrow. Though the Lake District here in Cumbria often charge tourist prices :(