geocaching.com suggestion

dreddd2000

I'd like to see more customisability on the online cache searches. For instance, the ability to filter out the caches I've already been to (as opposed to just putting them at the bottom). The ability to filter for different types of cache. The ability to search for both caches and benchmarks from the same search location.

I know that some of these things can be done with the custom queries for handhelds, but having the same functionality on the website searches would be really nice when planning a whole weekend of caching. icon_biggrin.gif

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin; the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentance is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity. --Lazarus Long

You should check out Watcher, created by ClayJar. It will do all of these things (except for benchmarks) with the .gpx you can receive as a Charter Member. Sometime in the future, there are plans to incorporate the benchmark info into the PQs, and I can't wait!

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

quote:
Originally posted by dreddd2000:

I'd like to see more customisability on the online cache searches. For instance, the ability to filter out the caches I've already been to (as opposed to just putting them at the bottom). The ability to filter for different types of cache. The ability to search for both caches and benchmarks from the same search location.

I know that some of these things can be done with the custom queries for handhelds, but having the same functionality on the website searches would be really nice when planning a whole weekend of caching.

Dreddd, I'm completely with you on this one. I know that there are work-arounds such as Watcher and Spinner, but sometimes, you just want to search on the fly. Sometimes, you just feel like doing a webcam cache.

And unfortunately, some of us have Apple computers, so we cannot us use the Watcher and Spinner products.

Please!!! More customizable online searches!!!!!!

Scott

quote:
Originally posted by srumrill:

Dreddd, I'm completely with you on this one. I know that there are work-arounds such as Watcher and Spinner, but sometimes, you just want to search on the fly. Sometimes, you just feel like doing a webcam cache.

And unfortunately, some of us have Apple computers, so we cannot us use the Watcher and Spinner products.

Scott

I too would like to do queries on the fly. However, it probably makes more sense for the website to generate queries during low-use hours and send them out then.

Maybe limited usage by members only could keep the traffic down.

As for being on an Apple, can't you still use the web version of Spinner to manipulate your GPXs?

Kenneth

Customizable queries can still be member-only. It's just a feature, like pocket queries, that only a member would be able to access. I can understand if TPTB don't have the time, though. But still it would be nice. I've seen many threads with people making this suggestion, then you get a couple of people suggesting to use the PQ's and watcher. I do that, but why not have it on the website too?? ....End of rant.

kc

row, row, row your boat

I don't think it's a matter of the people having time. From what I can gather it's a matter of resources. If the members started hitting the database that hard with on demand queries, it would slow the response of the average user. Not a good thing.

However, the Watcher work-around is still a valid one. Why not get a daily download of all of the caches with 100 miles (although mine is more than 500 - I'd like to see that max allowed lifted to 1000). Watcher can slice up that data in more ways that I could ever want.

The other suggestion is to take one of your lowest numbered pocket queries and place it with no days to run. Then, when you need a query on demand, edit the query to the correct parameters and select today's day of the week (and tomorrow for good measure). If the PQs have already run their course, you'll probably get the results of the query in a matter of minutes. Then - slice it up even further with Watcher.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching