Norfolk/ Suffolk caches

Ant89

Look for any of the Bassett caches, in and south of Lowestoft, only done a few (cos I am rationing myself :P ) but they are great. Wily Wanderer, Enigma, Fuzzys Reward, TB's Nemesis, Pig Pen Revenge and more. But if the friends are new to the game you will have to warn them not all caches are like these!! Doh bendos beat me to it

How long a walk are you thinking. How far to travel, do you want nice walks or great caches. Look around Walberswick/Southwold we have some good stuff. Dunwich Heath National Trust (4ish miles easy caches but great walk) & Dunwich Woods (similar distance some good and some great caches and lovely woodland walks) Minsmere Circular (5+ miles but the prettiest circular walk in Suffolk with every habitat you could expect to find and a great pub halfway round and AFAIR two FTF still to go at the mo) all the latter three areas are close by each other just over half hour from Lowestoft.

Also the CO's 'The Trekbuddies' and 'Dawn and Dave' have a good reputations, lots of interesting looking caches in the town itself as well, don't recall doing any of theirs yet but have my eye on the Lound Heath series north of 'Lowey' and Back of Beyond which is and to the south west. To be honest I think you will be spoilt for choice with out having to travel far.

Edited by The Real Boudica.

Another + 1 for either Bassett series, I prefer the second one.

Again +1 for Southwold - Pirates of The Sole Bay is a hoot but needs a little bit of homework beforehand. I've also heard nice things about the Dunwich Forest series too but have yet to experience.

Basically +1 from what Bendos & Real Boudicca said.

Those caches round minsmere look good, they should occupy us for a few hours of dog walking/birdwatching/caching

If you/your friends are into birding then that walk will certainly give something for everyone, and plenty of time for dogs off leads too, the walk actually circles around outside the Minsmere reserve although the first one is (unsurprisingly) near one of the public hides, if you start at the Coastguards Cottages parking is £4.50 Natonal trust but there are a few pull in parking spaces along the access road if you can manage the extra steps, then the Eels Foot Pub Eastridge just after No. 4 is well worth a stop, dogs very welcome, or you could start in Eastbridge and stop at the cafe at the Coastguards.

Think we might be heading back there this weekend to see if we can find the elusive two unfound. There are few more you can pick up on the way round as well. Eels Foot Silver Box, Deer walk to the Cliffs and some of the (very) easy but educational Dunwich Heath ones are on the way back to the car. I have always loved this area but have never mangeed to orientate myself much to hubbys disgust, caching has helped me actually figure out where I am.

If you get time for a bit of fun really try and do a Bassett or two, they aren't really hard just ingenious feats, my favourite is TB's Nemesis, my caching buddy likes Wily Wanderer best, hubby prefers Dr Munnings but that took us ages to find.

Those caches round minsmere look good, they should occupy us for a few hours of dog walking/birdwatching/caching

There are some which seem slightly dubious though - some recent ones been put out some of which don't seem to have been found yet and there doesn't seem to be a note from the cache owners at all.

Bassett ones are certainly unique and get lots of favourite points. The Dunwich Heath ones look reasonably easy and it's a lovely place. I was up at Lound this morning and there are some nice caches up that way, as there are at Somerleyton as well - the walk along the river to the Herringfleet Smock Mill is very nice. If you want to head a bit closer to Norwich then I'd very strongly recommend the Musketeer caches up Loddon way - again, a lovely walk and caches which deserve a bit more attention imo.

There are some which seem slightly dubious though - some recent ones been put out some of which don't seem to have been found yet and there doesn't seem to be a note from the cache owners at all.

I don't mind if they are of a poor quality as long as the overall walk is enjoyable and what better place to go round the edge of for a geocaching zoology student ;)

Edited by Ant89

I don't mind if they are of a poor quality as long as the overall walk is enjoyable and what better place to go round the edge of for a geocaching zoology student ;)

Oh, lovely walk for sure - and the tea room at Minsmere is quite nice as well (as are the Coastguard Cottages at Duniwch Heath). I'd probably combine the areas and do a bit of both if I were going down that way - although if the ground ever gets very wet again it might be damp in the marshy bits. The Eels Foot is well worth a look as well btw, as is the Ship in Dunwich. Hmmm, a lunch trail there then... :-)

The CO emailed me after we first did them, the two that have not been found are meant to be a bit tricky apparently and he has changed the hint on one as no-one understood it. We are definately trying again on Sunday, had a good look at the maps this time. We will succeed! I had a suspicion the co-ords might be slightly out but as we dont have handhelds only phones I wouldn't like to swear to it, and others who found one we didn't, say they were spot on, for most the hints were good enough to guess at the hiding spots which have been chosen carefully. The caches are not the most adventurous for sure but definately aren't poor and the walk is the best, which is why we go caching.

If you are out that way, Blue Square Thing, Dunwich Dial Dilema and Confused Lock Com plus bonus's are good fun you might need a gps though!

The CO emailed me after we first did them, the two that have not been found are meant to be a bit tricky apparently and he has changed the hint on one as no-one understood it. We are definately trying again on Sunday, had a good look at the maps this time. We will succeed! I had a suspicion the co-ords might be slightly out but as we dont have handhelds only phones I wouldn't like to swear to it, and others who found one we didn't, say they were spot on, for most the hints were good enough to guess at the hiding spots which have been chosen carefully. The caches are not the most adventurous for sure but definately aren't poor and the walk is the best, which is why we go caching.

If you are out that way, Blue Square Thing, Dunwich Dial Dilema and Confused Lock Com plus bonus's are good fun you might need a gps though!

Thanks for letting me know about the Eastbridge ones - I was wondering the the cache owner had logged in to check anything yet tbh. I'll most likely get around to some of those in the spring when the evenings get a touch longer as they're between where I work and where I live and would make good after work caches. Unless I can leave off early one afternoon and take a quick look.

I have solutions for both the Dunwich mystery ones - but non-gps caching under tree cover is not the most fun in the world! I'll wait till I can borrow an iPhone till I go after them I think :-)

The few times I've used it I've tended to get down to a 5 metre accuracy and it (literally) took me on top of one cache certainly. It'll do, given that I use it so rarely and can steal borrow it from the missus when I absolutely need one.

The desire, fwiw, has a horrendous history of battery awfullness doesn't it?

no different to iPhone bat life

We will succeed!

We didn't :( but still good fun, bumped into a gagle of geomobbers.

When we got back the reviewer had disabled one because it hasn't been found since placed a month ago or so. But not another thats still up for grabs. Seemed a bit random and a bit off, are we only allowed to set easy caches that get found straight away now.

Edit: Just had an email from the CO (yes I had asked for clues :anicute: ) it seems at least one of the unfound ones has definately gone missing so they have personally disabled the whole lot till they can get out to check on them all, hopefully on Sunday. He says the one he was able to check easily was in such a place it seems to have been deliberately removed :angry: needless to say he is rather disappointed, especially after all the time it took to get the RSPB to agree to them.

We read threads all the time about caches being removed due to lack of permission, these had that in place and I can say that some of those we found are very unlikely to have been muggled by accident, so it does seem they may have been taken deliberately. I will wait and see the outcome of their check.

Its still a bl**ddy good walk though.

Edited by The Real Boudica.