Power Trail in Essex

mcwomble

Essex got it's first US style power trail today.

The old Chelmer & Blackwater Navigation series has been saved from dereliction and reincarnated as a Power Trail; a 14 mile walk with 100+ caches placed roughly 200m apart. All maintenance is to be done US-style by the cachers doing the walk, in other words replace if you think it's missing. Any bets on how long it will be before there are multiple caches at the same tricky spot.

All traces of historical anecdotes have been scrubbed clean from the old caches, and now the series runs with extracts from the Essex Tourist Guide (to illustrate the diversity of Essex!!!).

To be honest it's like taking on a knackered classic car, and giving it a full body-kit, drop suspension, low profile tyres, flaming paint job and a kick-a** sound system!

Then again this is Essex after all - should we expect any better.

All maintenance is to be done US-style by the cachers doing the walk, in other words replace if you think it's missing.

:mad:

So much for cache owners being responsible for maintaining their own caches.

Well the cache owner is only a few months old and still in a pushchair :blink: :blink:

The series is mainly 1* terrain which would suggest wheelchair/pushchair availability - I think that must be a 4x4 wheelchair requirement for several parts of the journey.

Whilst I disagree with replacing caches you DNF (and always have done) and will just be logging a DNF, I don't see any harm in a series that takes you on a nice walk/bike ride. It's a different style of caching from puzzling, stealth caches, climbing trees or sneakily disguised custom caches. This one seems to be a good excuse for canoeists to visit the area too. If I can, I'll try that mode of transport in the summertime. (assuming the series survives that long)

All maintenance is to be done US-style by the cachers doing the walk, in other words replace if you think it's missing.

:mad:

So much for cache owners being responsible for maintaining their own caches.

Well the cache owner is only a few months old and still in a pushchair :blink: :blink:

The series is mainly 1* terrain which would suggest wheelchair/pushchair availability - I think that must be a 4x4 wheelchair requirement for several parts of the journey.

From the Groundspeak Terms of Use

By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian. If we believe that you are under 18 years of age and not under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian, please be advised that your account may be terminated without warning.

So I assume the CO is under the supervision of their parents ;) There is no excuse for setting out expecting others to maintain your caches, indeed all Reviewers require a valid maintenance plan before publishing them.

The old Chelmer & Blackwater Navigation series has been saved from dereliction and reincarnated as a Power Trail; a 14 mile walk with 100+ caches placed roughly 200m apart. All maintenance is to be done US-style by the cachers doing the walk, in other words replace if you think it's missing. Any bets on how long it will be before there are multiple caches at the same tricky spot.

Oh joy of joys... be still, my beating heart <_<<_<

Edited by Pharisee

Oh joy of joys... be still, my beating heart <_<<_<

Another little something to warm the cockles - a quote from the Essex Geocachers Facebook Page

I know the guidelines say every cache should be in a spot worth going to, but I suspect that was written before the hobby took off to the extent it has. If we stuck to that we could scrap nine out of ten caches and we'd all be twiddling our thumbs because we'd have found all the caches near us.

Another little something to warm the cockles - a quote from the Essex Geocachers Facebook Page

I know the guidelines say every cache should be in a spot worth going to, but I suspect that was written before the hobby took off to the extent it has. If we stuck to that we could scrap nine out of ten caches and we'd all be twiddling our thumbs because we'd have found all the caches near us.

I'd be happy with the above scenario.

MrsB

(Who said that?)

I'd be happy with the above scenario.

MrsB

Well said, Mrs. B

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

It's nice to see so many balanced and objective views being expressed! :rolleyes: Where is Clarkson when you need him? :ph34r: While I don't agree with community maintenance only I see nothing wrong with providing a challenge matched to a certain demographics needs. A fourteen mile trek for film pots is not my idea of a good days caching but I would enjoy the walk :D .

Each to their own I say but I would like to reiterate I do not like the idea of community maintenance as the only option. If the CO is not going to maintain their caches or put them for adoption they should be archived and a volunteer CITO retrieval event should be organised to remove the geo-litter. IMO

Flame away :P

Ta. Such a shame I can't see them then... B)

With so many over such a short distance you're not really gonna need proper co-ordinates, just look down every third step and there will probably be a cache underfoot.:D

I'm still pretty new to this, but I'm surprised that someone can place so many caches and then absolve themselves from all responsibility for their upkeep, isn't there an obligation, when presenting a cache for review, to commit to responsible maintenance? I'm all in favour of cachers "doing their bit" to keep caches tidy, replace the occasional log etc..., but only on a voluntary basis, there should be no obligation. If the person who placed them knew they couldn't be bothered maintaining them, then I guess they should have saved their legs the initial 14 mile trek dropping them.

Besides that, 100 caches in a row? "it takes all sorts to make a world" as I was once told, it's not for me, but I can imagine some people really do care about the numbers, and a nice walk along a towpath is often lovely :D

The Chelmer & Blackwater Navigation often floods in winter, so depending on where they've been hidden, I imagine there'll be a lot missing come spring. I can imagine a flotilla of film pots bobbing their way down the river. Perhaps a large fishing net might be in order and just wait for the caches to come to you.

As I have a tenuous link with the area, my wife came from Ongar and still has family in Braintree, I looked at the series. One of the things I found very difficult to understand is why there are caches named things like "Epping and Ongar Railway" and "Greensted Church" when they are some distance geographically from these locations. :unsure: :unsure:

Edited by dodgydaved

I'm still pretty new to this, but I'm surprised that someone can place so many caches and then absolve themselves from all responsibility for their upkeep, isn't there an obligation, when presenting a cache for review, to commit to responsible maintenance?

Regardless of what is on the cache page, the owner is responsible for cache maintenance. If they go unmaintained I'll deal with them in the same way as I deal with all unmaintained caches.

Having said that, I've known the owners for several years and I don't think this will be a problem.

Andy

Red Duster

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Regardless of what is on the cache page, the owner is responsible for cache maintenance. If they go unmaintained I'll deal with them in the same way as I deal with all unmaintained caches.

Having said that, I've known the owners for several years and I don't think this will be a problem.

Andy

Red Duster

Can I ask why those comments were allowed past the reviewing stage? A new cacher coming across this series and then going out and laying their own caches, even if they do not say it on the cache page may well assume that the community maintain caches, so we end up with more unmaintained caches :(

Whilst I don't agree with the "replace as not found" nature of the series, I am bemused by the notion that the CO won't be maintaining the series.

"We ask cachers to please help us maintain this trail. We don’t mind cachers replacing logs or containers. We recommend bringing with some 35mm film canisters. Use this link to make some logs for them.

We also recommend making extra logs. That way you can replace any caches or logs that might have been abducted or mutilated. This will help everyone out, and hopefully makes your cache run a 100% success."

Whatever you might think about the series, there is no statement that the CO won't be maintaining it. This is a classic case of people putting 2 and 2 together and getting 39 (the last number is random and a weak link, just like the strength of the nay-sayers' argument). As I have said before, I do not agree with cache replacement and I will DNF as I find (or not, obviously) but I believe that the CO will maintain the series as well as any other series I have done has been maintained. The fact that the previous shorter series wasn't maintained at all has seemed to be missed by some. I for one will be hoping that it stays intact and that I can do it all in the summer on my bike. Why people are getting so uptight about a series that takes you along a fantastic river with lovely countryside is curious to me. Who cares if there are 3 caches at a GZ? Surely the point of the series is to get people walkling/biking and discovering another pleasant part of the country. Number whores will love it and FTF whores will also be exalted or disgruntled, but so what? There was a scarcity of caches before, there is a surfeit now. This is obviously not a "clever hide" series (hang on I haven't done it so am making some assumptions here) but so what? Do it, don't do it. Who cares? My personal opinion is that I would not have suggested cache replacement; 1. because I don't believe in it full stop and 2. because it leads to this kind of criticism from people who fail to read properly! Shame on you and apologise or keep mum.

Can I ask why those comments were allowed past the reviewing stage?

Of course. Provided the cache/log is replaced and the owner maintains the cache page (maintains the coordinates and removes needs maintenance attributes etc), the cache is maintained.

Can I ask, how many caches have you seen where a third party has replaced the container/log and should these be archive for non-maintenance? I would hope not as the objective is to have a collection of findable caches not a collection of archived cache pages.

Andy

Red Duster

Can I ask, how many caches have you seen where a third party has replaced the container/log and should these be archive for non-maintenance? I would hope not as the objective is to have a collection of findable caches not a collection of archived cache pages.

I humbly suggest that is not the point. Of course generous cachers help each other from time to time. What is different about this case is that even at the review stage there is a stated expectation that others will do the maintenance. This flies in the face of the Groundspeak rule that cache owners or a NOMINATED and agreed second party are primarily responsible.

Can I ask a reviewer a general question? If I were to place my first cache and stated something like "I may not be able to maintain this cache myself so if finders could do any necessary maintenance", would this be acceptable? Ta.

Of course. Provided the cache/log is replaced and the owner maintains the cache page (maintains the coordinates and removes needs maintenance attributes etc), the cache is maintained.

Andy

Red Duster

I certainly do assist owners by replacing log books, adding swaps, drying out wet caches etc etc, but have never replaced a cache that I did not find, I have found multiple containers in the same location on a number of occasions where visitors have not found the original and simply left another one, surely only the CO should be putting new containers out. Strangely always more micros in the location, never seen two ammo cans in the same place, :laughing: yet?

My other concern with the message is a new cacher seeing it on these cache pages will think thats how caches are supposed to be, ie they will now go and hide a load and put a note on the page saying all visitors should maintain them.

Slightly off topic but to highlight this: Living on the edge of the Peak District with its drystone walls I do find caches in walls after extracting them I put them somewhere closeby that is less damaging, I then email the CO and let them know. The standard answer is that they put the cache in the wall as they had found others in walls and assumed it was acceptable. :(

People will always replicate what they have seen, if someone reads or sees something that they think is acceptable they simply go and repeat it.

Andy

Red Duster

I certainly do assist owners by replacing log books, adding swaps, drying out wet caches etc etc, but have never replaced a cache that I did not find, I have found multiple containers in the same location on a number of occasions where visitors have not found the original and simply left another one, surely only the CO should be putting new containers out. Strangely always more micros in the location, never seen two ammo cans in the same place, :laughing: yet?

My other concern with the message is a new cacher seeing it on these cache pages will think thats how caches are supposed to be, ie they will now go and hide a load and put a note on the page saying all visitors should maintain them.

Slightly off topic but to highlight this: Living on the edge of the Peak District with its drystone walls I do find caches in walls after extracting them I put them somewhere closeby that is less damaging, I then email the CO and let them know. The standard answer is that they put the cache in the wall as they had found others in walls and assumed it was acceptable. :(

People will always replicate what they have seen, if someone reads or sees something that they think is acceptable they simply go and repeat it.

Monkey see Monkey do.

Number whores will love it...

I'm not a number whore but I do like a good challenge. The Chiltern Hundreds was a challenge for me and I was pleased that I had found the majority in one day and on my own (well I had my trusty mutt with me (and yes she was under control all day without biting the good doctor - sorry, thread merge there) before my first DNF of the series. I'm looking forward to this being a different challenge and hoping that others can join.

Do it, don't do it.

Well I for one am looking forward to the scenery too and therefore please place me in the "Do it" camp. I'm going to be starting from Heybridge Basin on Wednesday 21st December at 09:30 for those wishing to join. I hear the path can be a little boggy at this time of year so am leaning towards a YOMP (Or should that be a YOCP for your own caching pace) rather than cycle.

Who cares if there are 3 caches at a GZ?

Oh dear maybe I'm going to make this series difficult for myself by getting in there before the number of caches start mounting up at each location. Though I'm hoping that the clue and hide makes these really easy to identify if they are not there.

Edited by metal-bijou

Apparently the cache owner has sunk lengths of White pipe into the ground and placed the caches inside, so it should be obvious where the caches are or should be. Although I'm not sure how many along the Trail are like that.

Edited by SXParx

Apparently the cache owner has sunk a a length of White pipe into the ground ...

Oh dear:

1.1. Fundamental Placement Guidelines

3. Geocaches are never buried. If a shovel, trowel or other pointy object is used to dig or break ground, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not permitted.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by MartyBartfast

Apparently the cache owner has sunk lengths of White pipe into the ground and placed the caches inside, so it should be obvious where the caches are or should be. Although I'm not sure how many along the Trail are like that.

Don't worry the local reviewer knows him/her very well and there will be no problems :ph34r: .

Clearly it's not what you know it's who you know :lol:

I'm always happy to maintain 1 or 2 caches wherever I travel.

Replace a soggy logsheet. Even replace the container if it's obviously in need of TLC.

The cache owner has politely asked fellow cachers to do just that.

I may or I may not. I'll see how I feel and if I think it's viable when I arrive at gz.

I for one would highly recommend ALL cachers be prepared for helpful maintenance at ANY cache. Certainly beats bleating on about it.

PS....took me 3 seconds longer than normal to find the forums today. GC.com moves in mysterious ways.

PPS..has anyone welcomed castagnari.

Is that an Italian pseudonym?

Or are you backing the Euro? :ph34r:

Edited by currykev

Just to be absolutely clear, I will treat these caches as I would any other cache.

Just to be absolutely clear, I will treat these caches as I would any other cache.

Are I see Andy has kept to his word of treating them like any other caches and has now disabled a good few of them....

Just to put everyone in the picture..Mel-Ray have adopted 15 caches from helenmustardland and my daughter Monique (30 years)and her 6 month old son have joined together (Junior J) and put the CBN series together..So No to all the allegations that we own all of the series.Thus has caused us much heart ache and a week of sleepless nights through all of this..It's so easy to just jump to conclution before one has in fact the truth of the matter..I think one should first have done part of the series and then passed one's opinion..Then the truth of the matter would come to light..A 3 inch pipe infact is only to stear away from geolitter..A 3 inch pipe is just to hold the 35mm container in place thus avoiding litter..I truly cant see why thus has caused so much slagging of the TWO CO's..To date we have only had POSITIVE feed back from all the geocachers that have taken the trouble to go out and do part or all of the seieis and enjoyed the walk..I wish the same was for all those against the series..

To also put it clear to all, we dont expect anyone to replace a cointainer against their wishes..We were brought up to help one another..It's truly no big deal for us to do maintenance..Sorry to those who read into the description incorrectly..NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO MAINTENACE AT ALL..It was just something we thought everyone would help with willingly..

The series is for all those who like to walk, wether it be a long or short walk it's up to you how you want to do the trail..there's no pressure how long it takes you to do the series..

This has put such a damper onto a time that should have been a "TIME TO BE JOLLY" instead we feel like we have commited some terrible crime..Shame on you all that have done this to us...

A HUGE THANK YOU TO THOSE THAT HAVE STOOD BY US AND ENCOURAGED US...

A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO ALL GEOCACHES, MAY 2012 BE A BIGGER AND BETTER YEAR.

... I think one should first have done part of the series and then passed one's opinion..Then the truth of the matter would come to light
I'm not one of those who has been personally critical of anyone involved in this series, and I'm not now. My comments are strictly about the caches.

I'm a proponent of good quality caches, and I don't need to do the series to be pretty sure there aren't many of those on the route. The cache page makes no bones about it - it says it's for the numbers. It also says that you invited to replace the caches to ensure you achieve 100% success. That surely must imply that if you don't find one, and leave another, you are expected to log it as a find?

This isn't the same game that I play. I do sometimes have some fun with numbers, but not to the detriment of quality or to the truthfulness of my logs.

So I'm told just to ignore this series. The trouble is, they drag down the overall quality of the game. In the long term they affect me even if I ignore them, by changing the expectations of other cachers.

It's for this reason that I was very disappointed to see the series published. I would far rather have seen the equivalent effort being put into a score of high quality caches.

Rgds, Andy

... I would far rather have seen the equivalent effort being put into a score of high quality caches.

Rgds, Andy

I think you make an excellent point Andy. It is about the quality of caches (and must admit I doubt if all/any of mine are of high quality). My perception of geocaching has fluctuated over the few years I’ve played. Particularly as situations changed; examples include, having a mutt, losing my mutt, buying a smartphone, buying a more accurate handhold unit, getting into puzzles, travelling and attending mega events. These are perhaps for another thread.

I started with a bang, my first cache being at the top of a mountain. I then got home and found caches of mixed quality and have learnt that sometimes it’s about going for the single cache of great quality and others it’s about the walk where a trail of caches take you (especially where the trail ends by the car). However, for me (and this is where I fear we will be in disagreement though appreciate that each person enjoys different aspects of the game), I’m hoping that the quality of this series is going to be in the collective and the overall 14 mile walk. It will be interesting to see just how the proximity of caches fair for me but that is part of the learning curve and if I feel they are too close for me then I know what I will avoid in future.

I know that a couple of the COs of this series also love great quality caches too and that this series just brings a different aspect to the game that I’m sure will be enjoyed by some and hated by others. How do I know that quality is enjoyed too? Because they came to watch me attempt a cache they had found and knew it would be entertaining. The cache in question is “Wellies required” and my log even starts by comparing to a 1000 drive-bys. The COs of this series even favourited (if that’s a word which I’m convinced it is not, again another forum thread I’m sure) this cache. I really do enjoy the challenge caches or the wonderful scenery or the interesting spot I would otherwise not have known about but sometimes I just want a drive-by to log I was there or a series to while away a few hours and in the past wear the mutt out.

I’m glad that you already know what you don’t like, for me I’m yet to discover within this aspect. Reading several of your previous forum posts I know I lean towards your view more often than not. Possibly I’m a little fuzzier in places though. Hopefully after attempting this series I will have a better understanding of myself and I’m sure I will post in my log at #61. The last time I had a challenge of this nature was on the Doc’s Chiltern Hundreds and the mutt and I made a good dent in the series before we got our first DNF and called it quits.

So I'm told just to ignore this series. The trouble is, they drag down the overall quality of the game. In the long term they affect me even if I ignore them, by changing the expectations of other cachers.

It's for this reason that I was very disappointed to see the series published. I would far rather have seen the equivalent effort being put into a score of high quality caches.

Rgds, Andy

+1

Rgds, Andy

+1

Funny thing is thats exactly why we chose to do it a different way..The previous caches went missing and we decided to do something different that would have something for everyone..To put out high quality caches would mean more caches to go missing or contents left and containers gone..That would indeed cause more geolitter not so!

All we are asking is to give it a go or if you decide not to then leave it for those that will and have enjoyed the series.

Dont knock it until you've at least tried it...

We prefer to do a series of caches like this as petrol the price it is than to go and do Drive by's on every street corner..

Our series has something for old and young, who enjoy the out doors and a long/short walk..

To put out high quality caches would mean more caches to go missing
I don't understand that, but in any case, my view is that if you wish not to put out a reasonable quality cache it is better to put out no cache.
All we are asking is to give it a go or if you decide not to then leave it for those that will and have enjoyed the series.

Dont knock it until you've at least tried it...

I do enjoy walks by canal and river, but I don't need to try the series to know that caching for the numbers, which is what the cache listing proclaims it to be, is far removed from my idea of caching. Stopping every 520 feet for yet another identical 35mm film can in an easy hide would not improve the walk for me.

As far as "leaving it for those that will" is concerned, I have little alternative, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

We prefer to do a series of caches like this as petrol the price it is than to go and do Drive by's on every street corner.
If you believe from my previous message that I prefer a drive by on a street corner to your "power trail" then it's obvious I have failed to get my message across!

I give geocoins to the owners of the best caches I find, and I determine which ones qualify by assigning points to a number of different attributes. It is, of course, highly subjective. This is my best guess for the caches on this series:

Up to 10 points for the location - great walk, lovely view, unusual or challenging terrain, interesting or historical place. This is not a linear scale, it has to be a reasonable location to get any points at all. I guess 6 or possibly 7 for the best of the rural ones, almost certainly a great deal less for those in the towns.

Up to 5 points for the the hide - ingenuity, originality, humour, informative cache page. Please let me know if these caches should earn more than 0.

Up to 5 points for the container - good size and quality, well maintained, clean and dry, with an original and interesting collection of swaps. A plain 35mm film can will struggle to get more than 0.

Up to 5 points for the WOW - a surprise, a thrill, something that takes my breath away, makes me struggle, makes me laugh, etc. Is there anything that might lift this above 0?

A maximum of 6 or 7 for the best of them is dismal - it isn't even going to get me out of bed :) .

But if it was simply a case of me ignoring them it wouldn't be a problem. As I said before, the problem as I see it is that it changes peoples perceptions and expectations in a way that does not accord with my view of caching. If new cachers think this is the norm it could proliferate, and if it proliferates it will have an adverse effect on me by reducing the quality of the caches available to me.

Once again, please understand this is not a personal attack, it is an explanation of why I think this sort of series is bad for caching, or at least bad for what I would like caching to be.

Rgds, Andy

I've been following this thread since it began. At first I agreed with the general negative views. Since reading the CO's post I've come round to a different way of thinking and I have decided that when the days lengthen I shall go to Essex and try out the series for myself. I enjoy long walks and I shall also find it a challenge to get back to the starting point by public transport.I know the caches will be easy and predictable but I shall be doing it for the walk.

I always carry a shall box containing spare logs of varying sizes and have no hesitation in replacing a full logsheet. I cannot see why others are so opposed to helping out fellow cachers. I am always so grateful when someone helps me.

I so feel for the COs being so publicly castigated. They are only trying to add a lovely walk to the caching mix. No one is obliged to do the series.

or at least bad for what I would like caching to be.

Rgds, Andy

Thats the bit you should take note of mel-ray, I can understand how those posts come across as criticism of you. But it is only bad for the type of caching Amberel likes to do, and others no doubt, thats their personal view/choice, there are also those who will enjoy the challenge and the walk, and for them it is only good.

Personally I think that is the beauty of this game, there is something for everyone and you get to choose what you want to do. I am fairly new but have come across some caches I would rather have avoided in hindsight, but would never want to highlight them in public and make CO's feel bad. I am not a fan of caches in built up areas, I get too nervous and it ruins the hunt for me, so for now I will avoid those. No doubt when I have routed out all the out of the way ones nearby I might give them a go.

but would never want to highlight them in public and make CO's feel bad****Ditto

We have come across many that should not have been published but instead of slamming the CO we just say ..TFTC

Every CO thinks their cache is the best, and yes there are many who go to a lot of trouble making a cache that only gets muggled now that is what breaks a person.On our Maldon Wick series, Ray went to a lot of trouble making us most of the caches..We realise the C&BN series are only 35mm containers but at the same time it wont get muggled or if it does "It's No big deal" the previous CO had so many muggled which were large containers that cost money..

This is a simple way of caching and we dont expect to get favorite or if we do its a BONUS.

I am fairly new but have come across some caches I would rather have avoided in hindsight, but would never want to highlight them in public and make CO's feel bad.
If you ever find any of my caches I would rather you gave me an honest opinion, whether it be good or bad.

As a proponent of quality caching I prefer logs to be of good quality, as well as caches. But the difference between a bad quality log and a good quality log is not that one criticises the cache and the other heaps praise on it. What differentiates them for me is the amount of thought and effort that the logger has put into it. E.g. a log where the finder takes the trouble to clearly explain good reasons why he believes a cache is in a poor location is a good quality log. A blank log, just TFTC, or copy and pasted logs are poor quality logs.

Of COURSE I like to receive logs that say the finder enjoyed my cache - but ONLY if they really did. If they didn't enjoy it, but didn't say so (especially if lots of people do the same) I'm more likely to put out other caches they won't enjoy.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel
I am fairly new but have come across some caches I would rather have avoided in hindsight, but would never want to highlight them in public and make CO's feel bad.
If you ever find any of my caches I would rather you gave me an honest opinion, whether it be good or bad.

As a proponent of quality caching I prefer logs to be of good quality, as well as caches. But the difference between a bad quality log and a good quality log is not that one criticises the cache and the other heaps praise on it. What differentiates them for me is the amount of thought and effort that the logger has put into it. E.g. a log where the finder takes the trouble to clearly explain good reasons why he believes a cache is in a poor location is a good quality log. A blank log, just TFTC, or copy and pasted logs are poor quality logs.

Of COURSE I like to receive logs that say the finder enjoyed my cache - but ONLY if they really did. If they didn't enjoy it, but didn't say so (especially if lots of people do the same) I'm more likely to put out other caches they won't enjoy.

Rgds, Andy

Amberel, when I ever come across any of your caches I will make sure I do give an honest opinion, as you have asked for it, although as I am sure that your caches reflect your feelings then I would hope they would be worthwhile. If I had any criticism I would probably do so via private means rather than on a forum or cache log.

I don't think I have ever written any one word logs, as right from the start I appreciated the effort people had put into even the most mundane of hides. But you can probably tell from my logs the ones I have enjoyed most and those I have least ;) . I do tend to ramble a bit about my experience but try to always ensure my gratitude comes across in some way, without praising it if its not really worthy, and I have had some nice emails from CO's whose caches I have really enjoyed.

If I ever attempt all or part of the Essex Power Trail I would try to write something different on each cache (I say try even with my wordiness I might strggle a hundred times) I you check the cache pages for even one of them, most if not all the logs were more than TFTC (even if they are mostly cutnpaste)and thanked the placers for a great walk, one of the reasons I like caching, its like a little tour guide.

And also, interestingly a lot of mel-rays caches have several favourite points which suggest (I know not proof) that they are also a proponent of 'quality' caches too, but sometimes all we want is a nice walk with out too much faffing and the feeling of your number count increasing.

Off topic, looking at the map of the walk, theres an awful lot of puzzles down there :o and mel-ray how do you manage to set a series in a smiley face, my friend suggested a straight line as in all on the same line of longitude or latitude but we thought that would be rather hard to manage to find hiding spots in the right places.