earthcache dos & dont's

tomservo620

I am interested in getting some earthcaches and virtual caches under my belt, but I am not sure how to log them. Do I log it as found with an uploaded pic, and then send the answers to the questions to the co, or do I send in the answers to the questions for approval then log my find? (specifically GC1KJXX) :)

I can only tell you how I log EarthCaches. I post my found log and discribe my visit, and upload a photo of me at the site. Then I send my answers to the cache owner. Some rules about the photo part has changed some, but I like to upload. I own EarthCache listings and I try to keep them simple. I have visited EarthCaches that are quit tough for me to correctly answer and I have not attempted to log them.

I to am confused about the pictures. I was told they can't require you have a picture of yourself or your gps. Then I am told they can't require any photos, then I am told only if it is task related can they require a picture. A Lackey told me they can if it is a phenomenon. Okay how is a man made object like a compass considered a phenomenon? This was brought up between a cacher-CO-Lackey-and the Earthcache reviewer. I think the Earthcache reviewer won.

Edited by jellis

First of all, tomservo, kudos on an outstanding team name. (Did you know Crow T. Robot is one of the volunteer reviewers?)

While earth caches and virtuals are pretty similar in many respects, they're not the same thing.

Virtual caches are grandfathered -- creating them is no longer allowed, but most existing virtual caches were allowed to remain on the system. So the owners of virtuals can require things that aren't allowed by new caches today, like photos of you or your GPSr.

Earth caches are what's left following the decision to stop creating new virtual caches. They have to relate to earth science, and there has to be a lesson learned. Before January 2011, earth cache owners could require a photo to log, but then the guidelines changed. Earth caches created after January 2011 can only require photos in limited circumstances -- see the knowledge book here. Otherwise they're just asking nicely. 9 times out of 10, if you come across an earth cache that requires a photo log, it was created before the guidelines change and hasn't been updated to comply with the new rules.

As far as earth cache questions, my understanding is that cache owners may no longer require cachers to submit their answers and then get approval. The earth cache FAQ backs that up, though I don't see it anywhere in the guidelines.

What I usually do for both ECs and virtuals (and what the earth cache FAQ recommends) is, I send my answers to the cache owner and ask then to let me know if there are any issues. Then, unless I'm really concerned about whether I jacked up my answers or not, I go ahead and log the cache.

(I almost always do a photo, too -- as an EC owner I always like to see them, and I figure other EC owners are the same.)

Earth caches created after January 2011 can only require photos in limited circumstances -- see the knowledge book here.

This also holds for ECs created before that date. There is no grandfathering involved. Unfortunately, many Earthcache owners (including also many cachers who are familiar with the new guideline) still have not changed their descriptions to make the request for photos of the typical type optional.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

If they wanted you to email first and await confirmation then it's usually stated clearly on the cache page.

EarthCache owners shouldn't be requiring confirmation before a cacher can log their EarthCache. Too much is left up to chance with an e-mail disappearing in to the ether, getting trapped by a spam filter, tripped up by an internet service inturruption, or otherwise getting lost in the shuffle for a cacher to haplessly await confirmation.

If they wanted you to email first and await confirmation then it's usually stated clearly on the cache page.

EarthCache owners shouldn't be requiring confirmation before a cacher can log their EarthCache. Too much is left up to chance with an e-mail disappearing in to the ether, getting trapped by a spam filter, tripped up by an internet service inturruption, or otherwise getting lost in the shuffle for a cacher to haplessly await confirmation.

To be honest whether it is stated or not is irrelevant. The last Q in the FAQ states"

As an EarthCache owner, can I use an “auto-response” e-mail account or a third-party website to check logging task answers and provide people with permission to post their logs to my EarthCaches?

1. People do not need to wait for permission to log your EarthCache. Requiring someone to wait is not

supported by the EarthCache guidelines. People should send their logging task answers to you, then log your EarthCache. When you review their logging task answers, if there is a problem, you should contact them to resolve it. If there is no problem, then their log simply stands.

So you go ahead and log it and if there is a problem you will be contacted by the CO in order to resolve it.

Earth caches created after January 2011 can only require photos in limited circumstances -- see the knowledge book here.

This also holds for ECs created before that date. There is no grandfathering involved. Unfortunately, many Earthcache owners (including also many cachers who are familiar with the new guideline) still have not changed their descriptions to make the request for photos of the typical type optional.

And some of them archived their Earthcaches rather than remove the photo requirement. :sad:

Cezanne

Yes, but you can just ignore this request, and cache owner can't delete your log. If did, you can report that.