Edit Cache Page (cache type?)

BeachBuddies

Is it no longer possible to change the cache type? I know I used to be able to do it. (I changed several of mine to "Mystery" caches, since the actual cache location was offset from the posted coordinates.)

But the cache type seems to be locked in now. Was that an intentional change? Is there some way to change the cache type now? At the moment, mine are all categorized correctly, but I do know of a few others that should probably be Mystery instead of Traditional. Just wondering...

-BB

Just send a note to the approver of the cache...they can change it for you. There were some issues with people changing multicaches to regulars, regulars to virtuals, etc.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

(I changed several of mine to "Mystery" caches, since the actual cache location was offset from the posted coordinates.)

Offset caches should be classified as multi-caches, not mystery (or unknown).

"An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a multi-cache."

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Right. Mine aren't that kind of "offset" cache. Mine are puzzle caches. You solve the puzzle, you get the coordinates. It's not a multi in any sense. But, the posted coordinates are not the actual coordinates of course. So, I think these are best classified as Mystery caches. They're Traditional caches except for the posted coordinates; but setting the cache type is the best way to make sure people don't just show up at the posted coords looking for a cache.

-BB

Okay, so when did the geocaching community decide to call puzzle caches "unknown?"

After looking at your caches I agree that your's should be classified as "unknown" because the posted coordinates have nothing to do with the starting point, but you can't make the blanket statement that puzzle caches should be classified as "unknown" when, in fact, most should be multis.

You also might want to watch classifying in-the-field-solvable puzzle caches as "unknown" as some people might be excluding them from their PQs. I don't only because I can include them before hitting the 500 cache limit. Others probably refine their queries more.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

quote:

Right. Mine aren't that kind of "offset" cache. Mine are puzzle caches. You solve the puzzle, you get the coordinates. It's not a multi in any sense. But, the posted coordinates are not the actual coordinates of course. So, I think these are best classified as Mystery caches. They're Traditional caches except for the posted coordinates; but setting the cache type is the best way to make sure people don't just show up at the posted coords looking for a cache.

Well, I said that because I assumed you knew what an offset cache was, which obviously you don't. "Offset" doesn't simply mean that the cache is somewhere other than the posted coordinates. Here is a good example of a true offset cache. Find the milage marker at the posted coordinates. Written on it are the number of paces to travel SSE to find the cache.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I was able to change the cache type now that I edited the cache page I'm waiting to be approved. No problems with that.

However, I entered a URL in Related web page box, since I thought this was some new fearure where the edit page generates additional links to related web pages. This wasn't the case. Instead there appeared a User's Web Page link under my name, which leads to the URL I gave. Which is not my web page. I tried to remove the URL in the edit page, but it doesn't remove the link from the cache page. When I edit the page again, the URL is visible again in the Related web page box. I asked the approver-to-be to remove the link.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Just send a note to the approver of the cache...they can change it for you. There were some issues with people changing multicaches to regulars, regulars to virtuals, etc.

Yes, that is exactly right on both counts. Email the approver from the bottom of the page and they will be happy to help you.

quote:

Well, I said that because I assumed you knew what an offset cache was, which obviously you don't.

Actually, I do. Although I'm not aware of any "official" Geocaching.com definition of offset caches, I agree with yours. I never intended to call my caches offset caches. I said that "the actual cache location was offset from the posted coordinates". It would have been a better choice of words if I had said simply "near but not at" the posted coordinates.

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

...you can't make the blanket statement that puzzle caches should be classified as "unknown" when, in fact, most should be multis.

I didn't. I said that my puzzle caches are best classified as Mystery caches (and you agreed). However, most of the puzzle caches which I have found have not been multis; they were more like the puzzle caches I hid: solve the puzzle, get the actual coordinates. I'm sure there are many that are also multis, in which case classifying them as such makes sense to me. I just haven't found any of those yet.

I do think that there are too many caches listed as simple Traditional caches, when they are actually something else: multi, offset (no icon for that though), or mystery/unknown.

But in any case Stunod answered my actual question; mailing the approver to change the type sounds like a good solution to me.

-BB