STARTED (31808) - [FEATURE] Add requirement that cache needs to be in place

larryc43230

This request is based on a post by Lone R in the Geocaching Topics forum, which I thought merited a formal submission.

The current cache submission form does not have any wording to the effect that the actual cache needs to be in place before submitting the cache page for review. I'm fairly sure (but not positive) that a previous version of the form did have a statement to that effect.

The Getting Started with Geocaching/Hiding Your First Geocache page, in Step 4, makes it clear that the cache needs to be in place before submitting the form, but I think it's worth repeating on the cache submission form itself.

I'm not much of an FTF hound, but it has to be frustrating to dash out to find a newly-placed cache only to find out the hard way that the cache hasn't actually been hidden yet.

--Larry

It is a good suggestion and a good decision, avoiding people to submit cache listings without having put the cache in the place.

I think one of the reasons COs do that is to reserve the place while they finish some more details of the geocache itself or the cache listing.

So, this measure could have more success if combined with other measures. Maybe define clearly if CO can reserve places and, if yes, how and for how long they can do it. Also, the suggestion in the previous feedback area, "Is this place available?" (I think the title is something like this) would help if implemented together.

I think that putting all this measures in place in a combined manner would be to attack the problem in the origin also and not only in the final effect of it.

We are underway with a revamp of the cache submission process. It includes the wording indicating that the cache should already be in place.

I'd like to throw my support behind this. Yet again, we've had a new cacher submit and enable a cache before placing the container. Until the full revamp is complete, can you at least revise the text on the "Enable" tick box to mention something like "all parts of this geocache are in place and ready to be found"?

This request is based on a post by Lone R in the Geocaching Topics forum, which I thought merited a formal submission.

The current cache submission form does not have any wording to the effect that the actual cache needs to be in place before submitting the cache page for review. I'm fairly sure (but not positive) that a previous version of the form did have a statement to that effect.

The Getting Started with Geocaching/Hiding Your First Geocache page, in Step 4, makes it clear that the cache needs to be in place before submitting the form, but I think it's worth repeating on the cache submission form itself.

I'm not much of an FTF hound, but it has to be frustrating to dash out to find a newly-placed cache only to find out the hard way that the cache hasn't actually been hidden yet.

--Larry

Keep in mind, just because the wording is there. Doesn't mean that a cacher will actually do that. There will still be cachers who hit "Submit" then go out later to place the cache once it has been aproved.

Soemtiems though... and it HAS happened to me. I actually did place a cache prior to hitting submit. Once I hit submit it took the reviewer about 4 days to publish. But in the 4 day interim the cache WAS MUGGLED!

I have also had at least 4 caches publish that the first 3 or 4 people that went to grab a FTF couldn't find it and thought it was MIA or wasn't even placed yet. When in fact it was, they just couldn't find it.

TGC