And now a horse ...

drsolly

It was 6:30 pm, pitch dark. It had been a long day, and I was just getting to the end of a 7-hour 40-cache series (SimplyPaul's new series, much recommended), and I was about to leave the field and get onto the roadway.

But first ...

Well, let me explain. When you reach a certain age, certain functions have to be performed a bit more often than was necessary when I was a youngster. And these are best done in a dark field, definitely not to be done in a well-lit street.

So - it was dark, I'm in a field, no-one around. I switched off my head torch, tucked my walking pole under my arm, and started to perform the function alluded to above. And it was going well - I was in full flood, so to speak. And then someone behind me, nudged my walking pole.

OMG

You know that expression "nearly had an accident"? Well there was no "nearly" about it. I swiftly suppressed the certain function, turned to apologise to whoever it was I'd unwittingly offended, and saw ... a horse. The horse had crept up behind me silently, and nudged my walking pole with his head. I apologised to the horse for the very rude names I'd called it, completed the function that had been so abruptly interrupted, made my excuses and left.

It's to avoid issues like that, that I plant my pole in the ground, not tuck it under my arm - admittedly, being female and havingto squat makes things a bit different. When staffing checkpoints for adventure races, I'm oftne out in the field for up to 48s hrs, so have to pee a few times, away from checkpoint, but in sight, so if a team arrives, I can see them before they see me, and to keep on good terms with any sheep in the vicinity.

It's to avoid issues like that, that I plant my pole in the ground, not tuck it under my arm - admittedly, being female and havingto squat makes things a bit different. When staffing checkpoints for adventure races, I'm oftne out in the field for up to 48s hrs, so have to pee a few times, away from checkpoint, but in sight, so if a team arrives, I can see them before they see me, and to keep on good terms with any sheep in the vicinity.

You need a she-wee and can then pee standing up! much more discreet ;-)

Smallcacher (son, aged 6) gave me an excited round of applause the first time I used mine out caching and said, 'oh Mummy well done, your first standing up wee!' - I think he recalls our reactions to his toileting training :lol:

Edited by pixeltash