Is Something wrong on www.geocaching.com

Flatouts

Is anyone else using Web security having issues with www.geocaching.com

I use Viper + and I am getting the following warning:

"VIPRE has determined that the site

you are trying to visit contains potentially harmful or objectionable content."

Note: If you don't have web/browser security you will probably not have this issue. My experience so far with Viper is that there is some kind of issue or it doesn't block me. Not saying Viper is perfect. But I'm not going to chance getting clobbered going around it until I know why.

As of now I don't know why and I don't know when or what but it was working fine this morning.

Is anyone else using Web security having issues with www.geocaching.com

I use Viper + and I am getting the following warning:

Note: If you don't have web/browser security you will probably not have this issue. My experience so far with Viper is that there is some kind of issue or it doesn't block me. Not saying Viper is perfect. But I'm not going to chance getting clobbered going around it until I know why.

As of now I don't know why and I don't know when or what but it was working fine this morning.

I use Webroot Internet Security Essentials, with up-to-date virus and malware signatures, and I'm not having any problems, or getting any warnings, with the geocaching site.

In addition, World of Trust (WOT) still gives the geocaching site the green light. I'm thinking this is likely a false positive from your security software.

--Larry

I

I think there is some truth to this statement. The site is potentially harmful. I have been scratched numerous times by blackberries, managed to get PO a couple times, got strains and sprains and other injuries. Definitely harmful.

I'm sure its a false positive given by Vipre. See if this information from their website helps: http://forums.sunbel...8&threadid=3943

and http://sunbeltsecuri.../falsepositive/

Yup, that's what I did and reported it to them. Just in case I didn't want to jump in and change my side to accept it because it was working just fine.

My Security is auto updated and so current all the time. But I check that also..

I also restarted as I could see in the logs that it seem to be the same svchost and local adapter port - but not sure that is relative. Anyway the restart didn't change anything..

Now this morning it is fine and all working again. I haven't restarted since last night...

It's a Vipre false positive and my guess is they fixed it at their end... Who knows... LOL

I also agree that the geocaching web site can be harmful as I get all scratched up, ticks and chiggers and just plan ole worn out and beat up as a result of using the site... LOL

Thanks for the responses... Just wanted to make sure everything was alright and it was just me...

This topic & posts can/should be deleted so not to waste anyone's time or cause undue concern.

Whenever my cookies expire and I have to log back into the site, I get an expired certificate warning using IE 8.

Not familiar with Vipre, so I don't know if it's a personal firewall or more of a workplace net nanny. If it's the latter, I wouldn't be surprised if the site was blocked as a "game" website. There must be someone in our IT chain that geocaches, 'cause it's not blocked for me.

This type of software is often more trouble than it's worth. I have never used anything like it and I have never gotten "clobbered." I have faced far more dangerous security problems due to the negligence of others who are responsible for my data (credit card/bank security breaches, "lost" backup tapes, etc.)

It just takes some common sense, a few cautious practices like not blindly clicking/opening everything you see, and staying away from the seedy underbelly of the internet.

And staying away from browsers with a terrible security track record like older versions of IE (I don't know how good or bad IE9 is), using something like Firefox or Chrome instead, is also a boost to your online safety.

If throwing money at this sort of software, not understand what it does, why, or how, makes you sleep better at night, I can't stop you. But IMHO a safety net like this just encourages people to carry on with dangerous practices instead of learning how to protect themselves (think self-defense training vs. hoping that there's always a police officer nearby). You become too reliant upon it - and then when it does inevitably fail, you're in a really bad position.