Logging Archived Caches

bflentje

I must be confused, because of the two examples of caches listed here by the CO, I don't see any "TFTC", "Found it", or "." logs? But I do find his Notes interesting!

When I started out caching, I accidentally found an archived cache when I was doing a 7 legged multi. Around the 3rd or 4th leg...I accidentally found a leg to another 7 leg multi that had been archived a few years previous to the current one. Also a few years previous to me taking up geocaching. I was very confused to find a final container different from the one described in the write up, and hadn't been logged for a few years and had a different name on the logbook. Mr Yuck and some other local cachers helped me figure out what happened (the archived cache CO's were military and were deployed suddenly). They said I should log the cache, I picked up the pieces, and now no one accidentally finds it!

MY first cache was only a film canister, it was in a small park that really didn't allow for anything much bigger. It was archived almost right away (thats another story). I picked up the container and threw it in my car. A few weeks after that, I used the canister to replace someone elses damaged container. A few years later, someone logged my cache as Found, saying he did not know it was archived and found the container anyway, so he signed it and logging it as a Find. Explain that!

So that story might make it look like I am against logging archived caches. But truly, without reading the guidelines, I would say if the cache is still there and you had information saying it was still there, then it should be OK to log. Yes, maybe the CO still has them listed under another site, but you can't tell me he isn't getting the same so-called "TFTC" logs there as well? Nah. More than likely the CO wanted more people telling him how wonderful his hides were. He's such a diehard cacher that TFTC isn't acceptable, but it is perfectly acceptable to not pick up his archived caches until Christmas????

Another funny "logging archived caches" story... we have two local cachers who never got along. Our reviewer at the time advised them not to hunt for or log each others caches to try to keep the peace. But Cacher B insisted on always trying to log Cacher A's caches. Cacher A would automatically delete his logs. Cache B brought this to Groundspeaks attention, and GS reminded him he was not to log Cacher A's caches.

So he STARTED LOGGING HIS OWN CACHES!!!!! He would write "Logging such-n-such cache here, because Cacher A is too immature and keeps deleting my logs". :blink:

I think if you found it you should log a found it, archived or not.

+1 and you should consider removing it if the CO has abandoned it after a reasonable time and you suspect a request to unarchive is not going to happen.

A most excellant idea! In comparing the two issues, the very slim possibility that a cache listed here is archived, while still being active at one of those other sites, Vs. leaving litter laying around in the woods that can be associated negatively with our favorite hobby, I can't help but think the latter outweighs the former. Especially if the cache owner has not swapped out the identifying characteristics of the cache, such as the stash note, the logbook with the GC number in it, and the "Geocaching" decal affixed to the side, or made note on the GC cache page of the fact that the cache is in play on another website.

...you should consider removing it if the CO has abandoned it after a reasonable time and you suspect a request to unarchive is not going to happen.

Not a good ideaas you may be ruining the game for someone. There are other geocaching sites it may be listed on.

Almost never the case, and believe me, I'm a strong supporter of the alternative Geocaching websites (except Garmin, which I couldn't care less about, and will never use). But in this particular case, where dude seems to have archived all his caches in a fit about TFTC logs, I'd think there's a strong possibility they may end up on another website. Don't even friggin' think about removing them!! :P

...dude seems to have archived all his caches in a fit about TFTC logs, I'd think there's a strong possibility they may end up on another website...

Do they post better logs on those other sites?

Might be a good reason to switch over... :unsure:

Well, my only ever forum ban was for "promoting competing Geocaching sites". So I'd better watch myself. I would like to point out though, without naming it, that one of them has the following text above the text entry field under "post a new log entry"

Please share your thoughts about this cache. Simply saying "TFTC" isn't very helpful to others who may want to know what you thought about your find. Share some details and be sure to thank them!

I also just generally think the with the much lower traffic to an alternative site, and many, many less caches, and people are going out of their way to be there on the site, they are much less likely to post a lame log.

Edited by Mr.Yuck