Garmin eTrex 30 or Oregon 450

DamBuilders

I am going to upgrade my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.

I have narrowed it down to a choice between the new Garmin eTrex 30 and the Oregon 450 but I really can't decide. Price isn't a factor as with full GB 50k mapping they are both about the same.

In favour of the eTrex 30 is the newer satellite chip that picks up GLONASS, better battery life and maybe (??) a better sun/outdoor readable screen.

In favour of the Oregon 450 is the larger screen. I'm not even sure if the touch screen is an advantage to me or not as I load all data (routes, geocaches etc) from the laptop and then set-off.

I am based in the NW (Manchester area) and walk primarily in North Wales, Lake District and the Peak District. I also holiday (walk) in Scotland at least once a year so maybe (??) GLONASS would be advantageous??

Everything about the eTrex 30 is saying "buy me" it's just the larger screen of the Oregon that is making me undecided...

Any thoughts?

TIA, Mick

Beaverma: For reasons you've already pointed out, the eTrex 30 would make more sense. Only point the Oregon 450 has going for it is a larger screen, but touchscreen won't be as readable in some lighting conditions. Display usability is subjective, differs from one person to the next. If you can go someplace to try them both out before you buy , that's the best way to go. Alternately, if you can find a seller with a liberal return policy, buy both and return the one you don't like.

I recently debated the same topic. I did get chance to look at each up close in a store. I decided to go with eTrex 30. My reasons; Smaller size, bright screen, GLONASS and in my opinion the touch screen would be an issue in the colder weather wearing gloves. Some say it is not.

I as well do not input a lot of data in the field.

The current 2.40 firmware is a must, although it is not perfect, but I suspect it will just improve.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I am going to look at both tomorrow morning and (I think) have pretty much made up my mind already in going for the eTrex 30 but I will see how they feel in the hand first.

Be sure to compare data entry on both. Alpha entries on my OR are really frustrating with my fat fingers. I much prefer buttons.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I am going to look at both tomorrow morning and (I think) have pretty much made up my mind already in going for the eTrex 30 but I will see how they feel in the hand first.

Be sure to compare data entry on both. Alpha entries on my OR are really frustrating with my fat fingers.

There's a very simple solution to this:

69twigcoatrackL.jpg

:P

Those of you with the Oregon how do you find readability in sun/bright light etc?

And how do you find battery life? Anything close to the quoted 16 hours with rechargeable?

The Oregons have a very readable screen, tilting the screen slightly makes it readable in any lighting condition. I usually get closer to 8 hours out of a set of rechargables, but I set my screen to always on since I find the backlight timeout to be annoying.

The eTrex screen is a bit easier to read in direct sunlight, but the tradeoff is lower resolution and for me the screen is just too small.

I would really recommend going to REI or some other B&M retailer so you can see the units side-by-side and play with them. I find the Oregon touch screen easy to use while the eTrex joystick a bit clunky.

Those of you with the Oregon how do you find readability in sun/bright light etc?

And how do you find battery life? Anything close to the quoted 16 hours with rechargeable?

The Oregons have a very readable screen, tilting the screen slightly makes it readable in any lighting condition. I usually get closer to 8 hours out of a set of rechargables, but I set my screen to always on since I find the backlight timeout to be annoying.

The eTrex screen is a bit easier to read in direct sunlight, but the tradeoff is lower resolution and for me the screen is just too small.

I would really recommend going to REI or some other B&M retailer so you can see the units side-by-side and play with them. I find the Oregon touch screen easy to use while the eTrex joystick a bit clunky.

I agree with this also.

I get almost 12 hours with the compass screen and backlight almost always on using Sony Eneloop 2500's. I was getting 6-8 hours with reg. NIMH's.

I agree with this also.

I get almost 12 hours with the compass screen and backlight almost always on using Sony Eneloop 2500's. I was getting 6-8 hours with reg. NIMH's.

I wouldn't want an OR on a bike handlebar mount though.

I wouldn't want an OR on a bike handlebar mount though.

Any reason? I haven't tried my Oregon on the bike yet (it's too cold here!) but it's the same mount as my Colorado which was fine.

The Garmin bike mount doesn't look great as it's just held on with cable ties...but there are others which clamp properly :)

Hi,I am also new to this hobby 2 months,Last month i went through the same ,,In the end i went for the Oregon 450T and i am very pleased with it,Nice large screen,I use Duracell batteries in it.I also find it easy to read while out,No problems there,I bought some screen protectors from EBay £2.50 for 6 so you can slide your finger over the screen without any marking.Best price then £275.

Well after spending an age in (and outside) the shop and "probably" annoying the sales staff I went for the Oregon 450 - it just felt right...

Anyway thanks to all for the feed back it was a big help.

Now any recommendations for screen protectors?

Edited by beaverma

Well after spending an age in (and outside) the shop and "probably" annoying the sales staff I went for the Oregon 450 - it just felt right...

I like the 3M on the Oregon, I had a zagg, but it was hard to scroll the display as the zagg was kind of sticky

I like the 3M on the Oregon, I had a zagg, but it was hard to scroll the display as the zagg was kind of sticky

Sounds good! I considered buying the Zagg-one as the shop I'll pick up my Oregon stocks those. Any idea hopw difficult it is to find a 3M one?

And to jump in here: what are the best rechargables to be used with an Oregon?

Mrs. terratin

Thanks for screen protector recommendation. Found the ones you suggest on Amazon so will order as I have read elsewhere that ZAGG can be tacky...

As for rechargeable I am a big fan of Eneloop and have quite a stock so I am going to use them first. They are rated at 2000mAH but I find they last longer than other makes of a similar rating. If I find I need a little more juice I will try the Eneloop-XX which is rated at 2500mAH.