Did locationless get reintroduced and we missed the memo?

baloo&bd

Look more closely at the logbook: that Virtual/Locationless hybrid has been around since 2002. It just seems new at a glance because for some reason the CO has edited the "Hidden" date recently.

Yup, it's a moving virtual, and he updates the placed date every time he puts it on a new location.

Reads like a locationless.

It seems to cotradict itself. At one point on the cache page, you see:

You will be searching for a specific Brass cap survey monument.

I read that as singular.

Then, just a bit further down the cache page, you see:

There are over 400 past posted caps that can be logged

It seems it might not be so singular after all.

Then the issue is further confused by the changing coordinates.

Is the owner moving the actual survey marker that this virtual started at? :unsure:

Or are they swapping the coords to match those of other survey markers? :unsure:

It seems to cotradict itself. At one point on the cache page, you see:

You will be searching for a specific Brass cap survey monument.

I read that as singular.

Then, just a bit further down the cache page, you see:

There are over 400 past posted caps that can be logged

It seems it might not be so singular after all.

Yes, it's a little confusing. Alberta has thousands of survey markers (i.e., "brass caps"). You cannot simply find any brass cap and claim a smiley for this cache. Instead, you must find brass caps from a list of specified caps. Over 500 brass caps are on that list, which is constantly growing.

Then the issue is further confused by the changing coordinates.

Is the owner moving the actual survey marker that this virtual started at? :unsure:

Or are they swapping the coords to match those of other survey markers? :unsure:

No survey markers are being moved, which would be a crime to do without permission. When a new brass cap is added to the list of caps that can be found and logged for this cache, the cache owner changes the cache's coordinates to match the coordinates of the new brass cap. Thus, the cache's logs contain a record of all the brass caps that are acceptable finds. In reality, few people use the cache page to determine permitted brass caps. Instead, there is a separate website devoted to this particular cache.

This cache has been discussed in the Forums before. (I'll leave it as an exercise for you to search). It goes way back to benchmarking being added to geocaching.com in 2002. Some Canadians wondered how they could participate and they came up with the idea of creating a virtual cache with multiple targets. The cache owner periodically added new benchmarks to the list. The coordinates get updated when a new brass cap is added. I believe that you can log this cache found multiple times if you find more than one brass cap.

agree, I think the hidden date should be locked if folks abuse the feature.

If it weren't for challenge caches nobody would care if the date changes. Being able to change the date is essential for monthly events that reuse the same listing. It is also needed if an event has to be postponed to a different date. In the past it was not uncommon for dates to be updated if a cache had to be moved as well. Changing the date on this cache is hardly an abuse of the feature. It alerts cachers as to when a new location was added to list of brass caps.