Don't get a ZAGG for the Garmin Montana

W4G_SOTAGoat

I've read about people claiming their touchscreen was damaged when removing a screen protector. Well, I called Zagg to inquire about a Garmin Montana shield and was told that they were pulled because they could damage the touchscreen. Since this is from "the horse's mouth" I'm assuming it is accurate.

Just wanted to put this as a warning out to Montana owners. The shields are still available from Amazon.

Thanks for the heads up. GPS City (Canada) had many items on sale for Black Friday and Zagg screen protectors where one of them. I have an Oregon 450 and was seriously considering ordering that product but I've never been comfortable with the idea of applying an additional layer to the screen. Granted, I'm not locating 100 plus caches a day nor am I constantly tapping the screen while hiking or trailblazing. In my opinion, for casual use the screen is durable enough. I think I'll make more of an effort to keep my fingers clean.

Thanks for the heads up. GPS City (Canada) had many items on sale for Black Friday and Zagg screen protectors where one of them. I have an Oregon 450 and was seriously considering ordering that product but I've never been comfortable with the idea of applying an additional layer to the screen. Granted, I'm not locating 100 plus caches a day nor am I constantly tapping the screen while hiking or trailblazing. In my opinion, for casual use the screen is durable enough. I think I'll make more of an effort to keep my fingers clean.

The Zagg works great on the smaller screens like the 450, it becomes a problem on the much larger screen of the Montana when you try to remove it. The Zagg has saved my 300 screen more times than I can count from drops or when I fall with it clipped to my belt...well worth it for any of the regular sized units!

Interesting thread. I was just about to post a thread asking if anyone has used a NuShield Nushield website.

A friend of mine uses the Garmin brand screen protector on his Montana and they're pretty nice although not quite as transmissive as the Zagg shield. Nushield seems to employ some optical science and I wondered if it is just a gimmick or if the science actually makes the screen more readable than other branded screen protectors.

Edited by yogazoo

Old news, this happened already 1 week after introduction of the Montana.

The owner of this gps had his Montanascreen fixed by Garmin for free.

Maybe so, but as you can tell from some of the replies on this thread it was a topic that needed revisiting since there are new Montana owners who might not be aware of this.

It happened to me. The Zagg protected my Montana great for the last 18 months. But it was showing its age from wear and tear, so I carefully pulled it off to replace it. About a third of the top layer of the touch screen came off with it. Talked with Garmin, but the best they'd do for me is $160 for repair/replacement.

Had a Zagg on my first Montana and started seeing the posts about this problem. Fortunately (I guess) I dropped and broke my screen within the warranty and got a free replacement which I immediately ordered a GizzoMoVest for. it has saved me a couple of times.

The knowledge of that issue has been around since the Montana first came out but drops off the radar after awhile.