Cache Maintenance

Rayvan43

To start Im just here to vent and I know that by posting on here Im opening myself up and there will be a few that are ready to put in their two cents! Ok I have 400 plus caches which I enjoyed hiding and I dont mind maintaining and I get numerous logs daily which I enjoy, in addition I get maybe 1 needs maintence on average a day. My question is out of courtsey why cant cachers replace logs when they are full or mostly in my case when wet?

When I find a wet or full log I replace it unless the owners have a history of not maintaining there caches.

I get out right away or within the week to fix one of my caches. Ok what are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Rayvan43

If you're getting out within a week, it's a bit of a non-issue. I have very few hides, as I try to routinely visit all of my caches to keep them in good shape, but different strokes for different folks. But under no circumstance would I expect a geocacher to maintain my cache. The help they provide is in letting me know as the cache owner what needs to be done.

and I know that by posting on here Im opening myself up

... really?! OK, I'll bite. Why should you put caches out and complain that finders aren't maintaining them for you? How about they put some new ones out for you too?!

:-P

Not complaining just think its beeing courteous.

If you're getting out within a week, it's a bit of a non-issue. I have very few hides, as I try to routinely visit all of my caches to keep them in good shape, but different strokes for different folks. But under no circumstance would I expect a geocacher to maintain my cache. The help they provide is in letting me know as the cache owner what needs to be done.

I dont EXPECT them to but it would be nice.

When I find a wet or full log I replace it unless the owners have a history of not maintaining there caches.

I get out right away or within the week to fix one of my caches. Ok what are your thoughts on this?

I always carry several logs made of National Geographic waterproof inkjet paper in my wallet. When I find a wet log I add one of the ones in my wallet. That fixes the problem and relieves the owner from having to go out and replace the wet one. It's a way I can let owners know I appreciate the hide.

The way the original post reads, it does kinda sound like you do expect it!

I agree.

BTW - another unsolicited opinion here ---- quality containers will reduce the chance of a wet log and the real issue is the container when a log becomes wet too easily.

Also - micros tend to have small/short logs - when placing them - one should expect to be out replacing full ones regularly.

Having said all that - I carry spare logs with me and will add them to a cache - but I never replace one (take old and put in new).

I am new to geocaching. I only have 160 finds in the last three weeks. In that time I have encountered several caches that have logs that were so wet I could not remove them from the container without damaging them. I have started carrying a repair kit and enjoy helping COs out when I can. It makes me feel like I am contributing to the sport.

I do wonder what the written and unwritten protocols are for maintaining another person’s cache. What should I do if the log is wet and moldy, and there is not room to put in a new log without removing an old one? Do I replace it, and if so, what do I do with the old log? Do I still log it as a find? Or, should I just enter a “Needs Maintenance?” Is it wrong to do both?

I recently found a tree cache from a large tree that had been blown down in a wind storm. The cache was in the root crater under several thousand pounds of unsteady tree. I feared that another cacher might try to retrieve it, and get themselves injured by causing the tree to shift and possibly crushing them. I happen to be in the business of remediating dangerous situations and have the training, tools and experience to handle this type of situation. I used such to safely remove the cache. Though the tree did shift, my equipment limited it’s movement. I moved the cache to a similar location 30-40 feet away so that cachers could continue to enjoy finding it. The question I have here is, was it appropriate for me to remove and/or relocate another person’s cache? What should I do if I find another cache in a dangerous place?

Your right so I changed my post to read "My question is out of courtsey why cant cachers replace logs when they are full or mostly in my case when wet?" Thanks for pointing that out to me as I wasnt Implying that.

As pointed out earlier by Starbrand, micro caches do tend to fill up quickly and generally the LPC type caches (which seem to make up the majority of your placements) tend to have other issues that simply replacing the log won't help.

If maintaining them is an issue, adopting them out or archiving down to a number more manageable seems like a more viable solution.

As pointed out earlier by Starbrand, micro caches do tend to fill up quickly and generally the LPC type caches (which seem to make up the majority of your placements) tend to have other issues that simply replacing the log won't help.

If maintaining them is an issue, adopting them out or archiving down to a number more manageable seems like a more viable solution.

[LPC type caches (which seem to make up the majority of your placements)]

How many of MY caches have you found? I have 2 LPC s and they didnt start out as such! And Im not saying I dont like to fix my caches. (Obviously you didnt read my whole post!) And I live in the NW so very few cache containers can escape the weather here.

Sure sounds like it. Otherwise you would have creating a thread thanking those courteous cachers rather than complaining about the ones that are not courteous.

Sure sounds like it. Otherwise you would have creating a thread thanking those courteous cachers rather than complaining about the ones that are not courteous.

On the rare occasion that a cacher does fix a cache I do send them a personal note thanking them. A thread thanking them on here would be a little broad now wouldnt it?

How many of MY caches have you found? I have 2 LPC s and they didnt start out as such! And Im not saying I dont like to fix my caches. (Obviously you didnt read my whole post!) And I live in the NW so very few cache containers can escape the weather here.

Obviously you don't realize how your OP reads. I read the whole thing and all your other posts and it sounds to me like you expect others to fix your caches. It doesn't matter that you changed whatever the original text was to say "out of courtesy" or that you tacked on that you get out within a week and that you don't mind maintaining.

Complaining about others NOT maintaining your caches still makes it sound like you don't like it.

OR, maybe the problem is you just don't like getting the NM logs. And the only way to fix that problem is to either not hide so many caches or change your email to a bogus one. While I don't recommend the second option, the first option might not be so bad.

The more caches you hide, the greater the chance will be that you will receive negative feedback. It's just simple mathematics.

So if you want to reduce the number NM logs, then either archive a bunch of your caches or try making regular maintenance runs so no one needs to post NM on any of your caches.

On the rare occasion that a cacher does fix a cache I do send them a personal note thanking them. A thread thanking them on here would be a little broad now wouldnt it?

No broader than a thread thanking moderators and we had one of those recently.

Accentuate the positive rather than rail against the negative.

Obviously you don't realize how your OP reads. I read the whole thing and all your other posts and it sounds to me like you expect others to fix your caches. It doesn't matter that you changed whatever the original text was to say "out of courtesy" or that you tacked on that you get out within a week and that you don't mind maintaining.

Complaining about others NOT maintaining your caches still makes it sound like you don't like it.

OR, maybe the problem is you just don't like getting the NM logs. And the only way to fix that problem is to either not hide so many caches or change your email to a bogus one. While I don't recommend the second option, the first option might not be so bad.

The more caches you hide, the greater the chance will be that you will receive negative feedback. It's just simple mathematics.

So if you want to reduce the number NM logs, then either archive a bunch of your caches or try making regular maintenance runs so no one needs to post NM on any of your caches.

I could make a bogus email just like your bogus forumn name!

First, if this was an honest thread meant to get actual feedback, then why stoop to name calling.

Second, what in the heck does that even mean? The vast majority of geocaches do not use their real name. So I don't get it. Oh, wait, now I have a post for OT. Thanks!

First, if this was an honest thread meant to get actual feedback, then why stoop to name calling.

Second, what in the heck does that even mean? The vast majority of geocaches do not use their real name. So I don't get it. Oh, wait, now I have a post for OT. Thanks!

Maybe there scared of the backlash! I use my real one! Im not calling names Im just saying you are coming in under a fake name because you cant handle the backlash! Funny how you the moderator is posting the most!

Maybe there scared of the backlash! I use my real one! Im not calling names Im just saying you are coming in under a fake name because you cant handle the backlash! Funny how you the moderator is posting the most!

Me, a moderator? :laughing:

The day they let me be a moderator here is the day they close the joint down for good.

Not true AT ALL. I live here in the NW too, and i have found several logs TODAY that were perfectly dry because they had invested in quality cache containers.

What?

What does this even mean....Can I do an IBTL on a regular thread?

To start Im just here to vent...

<snip>

Ok what are your thoughts on this?

Which is it? Are you just venting, or are you seriously interested in thoughts?

My thoughts... don't expect, but be grateful if somebody helps you out with your responsibilities, whatever they may be. There should be no need to vent about that. The only thing that I can see to vent about is if you are expecting them to, and they don't.

I always carry several logs made of National Geographic waterproof inkjet paper in my wallet. When I find a wet log I add one of the ones in my wallet. That fixes the problem and relieves the owner from having to go out and replace the wet one. It's a way I can let owners know I appreciate the hide.

Nat Geo paper won't get mushy (so it's a vast improvement), but the signature ink will bleed and fade in moisture. I have a film canister micro, and the inkjet print has started to spread (cache info, etc.), and so have a bunch of signatures, just from excess humidity. I'm guessing that sharpie ink won't bleed/fade, but ordinary ballpoint ink sure can. A container with moisture issues will need any log sheet changed more often, even "waterproof paper".

Not true AT ALL. I live here in the NW too, and i have found several logs TODAY that were perfectly dry because they had invested in quality cache containers.

What?

Most caches are dry but some no matter what wiil get wet you just got lucky and all that you found were dry.

Funny that you would post on here when you TWO caches and ONE is an Earth cache so you wouldnt understand to start with!

<snip>

My thoughts... don't expect, but be grateful if somebody helps you out with your responsibilities, whatever they may be. There should be no need to vent about that. The only thing that I can see to vent about is if you are expecting them to, and they don't.

No Im getting what I came in for feeling under the weather and needing a butt kicking and at the end will thank everyone for the feedback.

<snip>

No Im getting what I came in for feeling under the weather and needing a butt kicking and at the end will thank everyone for the feedback.

Well, in that case, IBTL.

What?

Most caches are dry but some no matter what wiil get wet you just got lucky and all that you found were dry.

Funny that you would post on here when you TWO caches and ONE is an Earth cache so you wouldnt understand to start with!

Funny that sInce he only has TWO caches and ONE is an Earth cache that he's aBle to maintain his own caches and doesn'T need to get angst about peopLe not doing his maintenance for him.

What?

Yeah, what would I know about wet logs? I've only found 1100 caches so my experience is not important.

*except* ....the whole fact that I've found dry logs, up here, in the NW. So, with my limited experience and all, it shows that you're wrong.

But hey-if you feel personal attacks somehow validate you, then go right on ahead.

What?

Funny that sInce he only has TWO caches and ONE is an Earth cache that he's aBle to maintain his own caches and doesn'T need to get angst about peopLe not doing his maintenance for him.

Im responding to another cachers post and using caps to make a point and you using the odd CAPS is well childish!

What?

Im responding to another cachers post and using caps to make a point and you using the odd CAPS is well childish!

I'm using CAPS to Make another POINT. And This thread is feeling MORE like a TROLL than an honest Quest for KnOwLeDgE.

Back to OT I go. Have fun.

Your real name is Rayvan43? Then my real name is Harry Dolphin!

I meant real caching name not real name!

What?

Yeah, what would I know about wet logs? I've only found 1100 caches so my experience is not important.

*except* ....the whole fact that I've found dry logs, up here, in the NW. So, with my limited experience and all, it shows that you're wrong.

But hey-if you feel personal attacks somehow validate you, then go right on ahead.

Im not personally attacking you but I cant help it if thats the way you feel. And I doubt that you have only found dry logs unless you havnt found very many up here.

What?

Im not personally attacking you but I cant help it if thats the way you feel. And I doubt that you have only found dry logs unless you havnt found very many up here.

Where did I say I've found "only" dry logs? I said I've fou d dry logs, today, because those COs invested in quality containers. I size it's possible to have dry logs up here in the NW. And my area has twice as much rain as Seattle.

What?

Where did I say I've found "only" dry logs? I said I've fou d dry logs, today, because those COs invested in quality containers. I size it's possible to have dry logs up here in the NW. And my area has twice as much rain as Seattle.

Well I live in Vancouver not seattle. I must have missed your point my apoligies.

I am new to geocaching. I only have 160 finds in the last three weeks. In that time I have encountered several caches that have logs that were so wet I could not remove them from the container without damaging them. I have started carrying a repair kit and enjoy helping COs out when I can. It makes me feel like I am contributing to the sport.

I do wonder what the written and unwritten protocols are for maintaining another person’s cache. What should I do if the log is wet and moldy, and there is not room to put in a new log without removing an old one? Do I replace it, and if so, what do I do with the old log? Do I still log it as a find? Or, should I just enter a “Needs Maintenance?” Is it wrong to do both?

I recently found a tree cache from a large tree that had been blown down in a wind storm. The cache was in the root crater under several thousand pounds of unsteady tree. I feared that another cacher might try to retrieve it, and get themselves injured by causing the tree to shift and possibly crushing them. I happen to be in the business of remediating dangerous situations and have the training, tools and experience to handle this type of situation. I used such to safely remove the cache. Though the tree did shift, my equipment limited it’s movement. I moved the cache to a similar location 30-40 feet away so that cachers could continue to enjoy finding it. The question I have here is, was it appropriate for me to remove and/or relocate another person’s cache? What should I do if I find another cache in a dangerous place?

If I find a wet/moldy log and there's room to stuff a new log (in a baggie) in the cache, that's what I do. If the cache is too small to fit another log, then it kind of depends on just how wet/moldy the log is. If it's truly toast and no one in their right mind will ever try to read it again, and especially if the CO hasn't logged in for awhile, then I'll take the wet mess out and put in a new log, then e-mail the CO and offer to mail the wet mess to them (haven't ever had any takers on that). If the log isn't totally toast yet, I'll either make mention of it in my found-it log, or I'll log a needs maintenance along with my found-it log (kinda depends on whether others have already logged needs maintenances).

I think you did the right thing moving the cache from the fallen tree, since it could have been dangerous for future cachers as it was. If the danger factor hadn't been there, then I'd have left it alone. I would also e-mail the CO and tell him what I did, and I'd make mention of it in my found-it log for future finders(and perhaps you already did that).

To start Im just here to vent and I know that by posting on here Im opening myself up and there will be a few that are ready to put in their two cents! Ok I have 400 plus caches which I enjoyed hiding and I dont mind maintaining and I get numerous logs daily which I enjoy, in addition I get maybe 1 needs maintence on average a day. My question is out of courtsey why cant cachers replace logs when they are full or mostly in my case when wet?

I haven't looked at your cache listings, so I have no idea what they're like. But here are my thoughts. If I see a park and grab that needs a new log (and I don't hunt too many park and grabs), I probably wouldn't fix the log up because (1) it's easy access for the CO to do it him/herself and (2) I just don't like those kind of caches anyway. Highly subjective, and I'm not trying to diss your caches in any way. I don't even know if any of them are park and grabs.

If I go on at least a mile hike to reach the cache, then I'm much more likely to fix the log up (and dry out the cache, fix up the swag, etc.) because (1) it's more of a pain for the CO to hike out there and do it him/herself, and I'm already there, and (2) I love these kinds of caches. The farther I have to hike, the more likely I am to fix it up. However, if I go on a nice, long hike and find a moldy mess for a cache because the CO used old, leaky tupperware, then I'm not going to fix it up (because it's a poor container choice and it'll just become a mess again). Again highly subjective, but it's factors like this that determine whether I'll go the extra mile to help out or not.

I don't particularly enjoy maintaining my caches. I'd rather hike on a new trail than go back out to where my caches are. So I don't have very many hides. Now if I had more, then I could see myself thinking, after the third "needs maintenance" posted in as many days, "Dang it! Would it kill them to just drop a new log in?" But I wouldn't say that out loud (never mind that I just did) :) because, yeah, that's what I signed up for when I hid the things. I am currently considering putting a new one out that's likely to require regular maintenance (electronic). If the maintenance on that one turns out to truly suck, then I'll archive it eventually and not do that again.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I get where you're coming from, but if I understand right that you've got 400+ hides, that's an awful lot of maintenance you signed up for. Consider a replaced/renewed log from a cacher a nice gift that just doesn't happen regularly.

He's not a moderator. I'm a moderator. To prove that, I'm closing your thread. If you can't post without insulting, attacking and/or name calling, don't post.