Caching in QATAR - any tips?

doofie

Nope - nothing special to worry about here except if you are going to head out into the desert for some of the more remote caches then all necessary safety precautions need to be adhered to. Hope you are here before I leave for Christmas break. Contact me and I will happily "show you around" and take you to some of the more remote caches in the country.

Have a great trip and happy & safe caching.

Not sure where my reply went, but I did answer last week - here's the edited version. We drove to Qatar from Saudi Arabia a year or so ago and had a great time caching.

Highly recommended: Earthcaches! These were great, especially the meteor crater and Jassasiyah Rock Art.

Not so hot: urban caches. These were in high visibility areas and as "white people" we stood out so much that even stealth wasn't an option. We did find some great urban caches that we did find - but we went on a Friday morning when no one was around (the weekend is Fri/Sat)

Cincol is a great resource - take him up on his offer :-D

You may want to pick up a copy of Qatar Explorer, it's packed with great information too. We took some time to explore the touristy bits too, the wind towers were great!

Have fun and enjoy Qatar.

Nope - nothing special to worry about here except if you are going to head out into the desert for some of the more remote caches then all necessary safety precautions need to be adhered to. Hope you are here before I leave for Christmas break. Contact me and I will happily "show you around" and take you to some of the more remote caches in the country.

Have a great trip and happy & safe caching.

See private message.

Not really much, just: enjoy and do accept the offer by Cincol. He really knows the country (and he might bring you to one of our caches :lol:) Anyway, the only thing that comes to mind, but you probably know that: make sure you have enough water and food, and check the jackup and emergency tire. It's rather embarrassing to be stuck in the middle of the desert with a flat tire you cannot change :P

Mrs. terratin,

who really misses Qatar

Almost forgot to give feedback.

We stayed in Doha between X-Mas and New Year 2011. Had a great time. We had our own transportation, a regular sedan car, 2 wheel drive. During winter season apparently suitable enough for desert drives (not too far mind you: take care, take plenty of water, food etc.), provided it has not rained for a couple of days. Managed to find 15 caches in a few days, mostly in Doha, some in the north and some to the west. All fairly easy to reach, not too difficult.

We pretty much checked the list we received from cincol. Did not encounter any problems. Beware in the vicinity of mosques: although the religious police allegedly ceased to exist, some 'regular' law enforcement officers frowned and approached us when we were parking too close to places of worship.

Thanks all for the help, especially cincol, who we unfortunately did not meet, since he was not in the country during our visit.

Qatar: you must have seen it!!

doofie