Thank you Garmin...

Croesgadwr

As the owner of a Garmin Etrex Legend Hcx I've just got to say a great big thank you to Garmin UK. I've owned it since I started Geocaching in July 2010, and its always performed very well. Recently (two weeks ago), the rubber seal around the unit started to come off - now to be honest I have heard that it is a common problem with the Etrex range of GPS receivers. Nevertheless when I contacted Garmin UK via email, asking if they could suggest a method of refitting the seal, they did no more than ask me to return it to them and they would send me a replacement.

The replacement arrived today. Its not a new unit, its reconditioned, but it certainly looks new.

Thanks Garmin for your excellent service.

Edited by Croesgadwr

We have always used an Etrex and like you say, the rubber seal is an ongoing problem which Garmin are trying to resolve.

I think we have sent 3 units back over the years because of this fault and each time, we have been provided with a new one.

It is rare to get such good customer service these days and from our experience at least, Garmin have got it just right.

I contacted then a couple of weeks ago. I got an email back almost straight away saying to send it back, but they wanted a cheque for £30

I only asked for advice on the best way to replace it, I never asked for a replacement unit - that was their suggestion. Its got to be worth another try I would have thought.

Edited by Croesgadwr

I contacted then a couple of weeks ago. I got an email back almost straight away saying to send it back, but they wanted a cheque for £30

Did you make it clear that teh problem was the saggy surround?

We had an Etrex (not H) replaced due to a saggy rubber (free of charge) but the replacement was REALLY inaccurate and is now sitting in the desk somewhere.

It is no use whatsoever for caching!

Mrs D bought me a new Etrex H a couple of years ago but it 'broke' after being dropped from a railway bridge onto the trackbed below :unsure:

This time garmin wanted £30 to replace it ;)

The replacement was accurate enough but the buttons were nigh-on impossible to press so I sent it back again and received another replacement

I use it all the time when caching and the surround is starting to sag again but I think I will just put up with it for a bit longer...

Mark

I think it must depend in who you get to speak to - most people seem to get a free replacement, but not everyone does.

The thing that really amazes me is that they've known about this problem for years now, and haven't sorted it out! With modern materials there must be an adhesive that wouldn't suffer from this problem. Surely it MUST be cheaper for them to find a solution than to keep replacing units!

Rgds, Andy

I returned a Vista CX, saggy surround problem, which was 4 yrs old at the time and I simply said "I believe that this is an ongoing problem that is know to Garmin " and I got a refurished unit that was perfect.

I also returned a 18mth old Legend HC with the same problem and actually recieved a brand new one back.

Both occaisions they were replaced free.

I once sent a Legend, old green one, which had a cracked screen and was charged for the replacement which in my opinion was fair enough as it was my fault it got damaged.

I would suggest that if you have the surround problem that you make sure that you open the conversation with "I believe that this is an ongoing problem that Garmin ar aware of" always worked for me.

Just been looking at pictures of the new Garmin Etrex 10, 20 & 30 GPS's (not seen one in real life yet), and it looks like they're using the same wrap around rubber seal system on those.... I wonder whether the same type of adhesive is being used on the new models. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I think it must depend in who you get to speak to - most people seem to get a free replacement, but not everyone does.

I have found this with Garmin, I had a Colorado about 14 months old that had an issue, one of the Garmin reps wanted £90 for a repair, I did explain the fault had developed just before I went on holiday so had gone over the year warranty. I soldiered on with it for a few more months and rang again, explained the issue to someone else and was offered a free refurb exchange so I took it up.

Now to get the software sorted on it.:(

I was aware of this problem before i bought my Vista HCx about three and a half years ago, but took a chance due to the great spec, and so far no problems. It's obvious though, when you open the usb flap which is an integral part of the rubber rand, that a very soft glue is used, but wouldn't it be easy simply to reglue the rubber, or are people saying that the rubber actually distorts?

... wouldn't it be easy simply to reglue the rubber, or are people saying that the rubber actually distorts?

It seems to me that the glue mainly degrades if the unit gets warm, so if you leave it on the dashboard on a sunny day you've had it. Once the glue had gone on both by Etrex banana and Vista, the rubber had also stretched and was then too long to fit tightly round the unit. I repaired both of them myself quite successfully but had to snip a couple of mm off the rubber to get it to go back on.

when you open the usb flap which is an integral part of the rubber rand, that a very soft glue is used,

I'd go with that. It definitely went there first. Then once its weakened, the rubber stretches slightly, so it works loose all the way round. What glues work with rubber/plastic/remnants of double-sided sticky tape?

... wouldn't it be easy simply to reglue the rubber, or are people saying that the rubber actually distorts?

It seems to me that the glue mainly degrades if the unit gets warm, so if you leave it on the dashboard on a sunny day you've had it. Once the glue had gone on both by Etrex banana and Vista, the rubber had also stretched and was then too long to fit tightly round the unit. I repaired both of them myself quite successfully but had to snip a couple of mm off the rubber to get it to go back on.

I guess that i haven't subjected mine to such conditions. It's been out on the hills in very hot weather with no problem, but the trouble is a car on a very hot day will subject anything to abnormal stress which i suspect the handheld units aren't designed for.

when you open the usb flap which is an integral part of the rubber rand, that a very soft glue is used,

I'd go with that. It definitely went there first. Then once its weakened, the rubber stretches slightly, so it works loose all the way round. What glues work with rubber/plastic/remnants of double-sided sticky tape?

It might be worth experimenting on a small area with superglue or Araldite, although if they don't work they will probably permanently compromise both the rand and the mating surface. Obviously not wise if your unit is still under guarantee because 1) Garmin might be unable to successfully replace the rand; 2)you will have invalidated the guarantee and they will charge you.

Edited by froggyted

You can clean off the old sticky stuff with a piece of paper kitchen towel and some cigarette lighter fuel (the pet-ether liquid, not the butane gas). It won't affect the plastic and cleans the glue off easily. Best to do it outside, though and don't smoke while you're doing it!