[FEATURE] API time limit.

The HERB5

Basic Members can only download 3 Full Caches a day, which is fine.

When our limit is reached could the message window say WHEN we can download again ?

This would stop us continually trying and failing...

You're aware that is intended as a "try before you buy" type feature.

Problem goes away for $30/year.

I can't think of a more painful way to maintain an offline database or simulate PQs than to do 3/day.

I can't think of a more painful way to maintain an offline database or simulate PQs than to do 3/day.

Don't want to hijack this, perhaps you could PM me an answer... Does this apply to bulk downloads or does it affect the manually selected 'send to GPS' type download? I don't have any mobile devices (other than a laptop with WiFi), and I know that a normal WiFi connection doesn't limit the manual type, or even those selected on a one page listing (other than the security thing).

Back to the topic now. Thanks. I agree with the suggested fix though!

Doug 7rxc

Since when ?

Free 3rd Party Apps are Free :unsure:

21 caches a week is plenty for me. It's taken me over 5 years to get to 1000...

It's the journey not the arrival....

Since when ?

Free 3rd Party Apps are Free :unsure:

Free third party apps are free sure. But the API they use are a Premium Member feature - $30/year, otherwise you're limited to 3/day. That's a trial thing. Since day 1.

21 caches a week is plenty for me. It's taken me over 5 years to get to 1000...

It's the journey not the arrival....

Right. And you can use the API for three caches per day or you can use the website for more information, just like the good old days before we had the API.

Frankly at 3/day to download and view that's not the easiest way to filter caches.

As for the journey not the arrival, I use my Premium Membership with GSAK to filter out the power trails and lower quality caches (in my eyes) so I can have some fun adventures.

API access is not just for number hounds.

But the API they use are a Premium Member feature - $30/year, otherwise you're limited to 3/day. That's a trial thing. Since day 1.

If you buy any Official App, you get ALL features with Basic Membership.

The API is the API; Basic and Premium get different levels of access.

It's NOT a Premium feature.

And you can use the API for three caches per day or you can use the website for more information, just like the good old days before we had the API.

And I'm happy with that.

Frankly at 3/day to download and view that's not the easiest way to filter caches.

It is for me, how many new caches a day do you have ?

Me, I get less than 3 a day.

As for the journey not the arrival, I use my Premium Membership with GSAK to filter out the power trails and lower quality caches (in my eyes) so I can have some fun adventures.

Why use a PC to load data to your GPS, when you can do it all on the GPS ?

No, the API is for ease of use which entices more Users.

But the API they use are a Premium Member feature - $30/year, otherwise you're limited to 3/day. That's a trial thing. Since day 1.

If you buy any Official App, you get ALL features with Basic Membership.

The API is the API; Basic and Premium get different levels of access.

It's NOT a Premium feature.

Basic member gets 3/day for free

Premium member gets 6000/day as part of Premium Member package.

That sure looks like a trial versus full option to me.

And you can use the API for three caches per day or you can use the website for more information, just like the good old days before we had the API.

And I'm happy with that.

It is for me, how many new caches a day do you have ?

Me, I get less than 3 a day.

My geocaching find rate is 1.77/day. I use the API to filter which caches to visit. There are over 24,000 caches in my Province and frankly I'm not interested in about 22,000 of them.

Why use a PC to load data to your GPS, when you can do it all on the GPS ?

No, the API is for ease of use which entices more Users.

Nope. The API is a convenience for Premium Members and the 3 per day basic limit is there so you can try it out without spending $30 to see if it works on your device.

The API is new, and before that one used Pocket Queries to load up a GPS be that via GSAK or copying it direct to your GPS after downloading it. Geocaching.com has never given away bulk transfers of geocaches for free but you could load your GPS one at a time by visiting the individual cache pages and using Garmin Communicator or printing it and punching it in yourself.

The fact that your smartphone has a GPS doesn't suddenly make it open season on Geocaching.com's pricing model. The API lets you mass load caches on your phone/GPS as Pocket Queries did before.

If you don't want to pony up $30/year, you can do it 3 at a time or use the web browser on your device to find others.