SUBMITTED (25008) - [FEATURE] Favorite Points in Pocket Queries and GPX

Markwell

Any word on this yet. This is a feature I am looking forward to. I only have time for a few caches usually when I travel. Why not get the best of them first.

Anything yet? I can't get any Favorite Points when I download data into GSAK and would love a way to find the "good" caches on a road trip that is coming up.

There is a workaround. If you are a premium member, AND you have GSAK 8, you can download your PQs, then use the 'Geocaching.com access' menu to select refresh cache data... When accessed through GSAK and the API, you will get the favorite points. Add them as a column in your GSAK view and you can easily sort by favorite points.You also get them if you go through geocaching.com access --> Get geocaches...

Edit to add: But it would be nice if this would get a higher priority and some attention.

Edited by nittany dave

Also, I just noticed the note that says this was planned for 'just after the first' of 2012, when personal cache notes was released. While that date description is relative, it does sound to mee like that time-frame has come and gone.

Can we get an update on this and if it is still planned?

Also, I just noticed the note that says this was planned for 'just after the first' of 2012, when personal cache notes was released. While that date description is relative, it does sound to mee like that time-frame has come and gone.

Can we get an update on this and if it is still planned?

Actually what Moun10bike said was ...

This feature (and several other GPX enhancements, such as addition of the nano size designation, personal cache notes, et al.) are underway and will be released soon after the start the of year once the necessary groundwork has been completed.

Notice he did not specify a year. So I would say it still on track for release soon after the start of the year.

Favorite points and the other data is available via API. The iPhone uses the API.

I know, but the API requires a network connection and also is subject to download limits. Having the FPs present in the PQ GPX would provide them for offline usage, etc. And it seems GS has planned that some time ago anyway, so I was just wondering ...

There is an update to the GPX format that has been in the works for some time now. It will include a new cache size (nano), Favorites points, edited coordinates, and other enhancements. It was supposed to be out earlier this year, but has obviously been delayed.

edited ccordinates, wouldn't that be nice ... I recently only realized out in the boonies that a PQ I had downloaded with an edited set of coordinates for a mystery still showed the original coordinates in the iPhone app :anibad:

This feature (and several other GPX enhancements, such as addition of the nano size designation, personal cache notes, et al.) are underway and will be released soon after the start the of year once the necessary groundwork has been completed.

Is this feature request still an open issue? I would be grateful to get my pocket queries with the favourite points. I think it would have a positive effect to the Groundspeak servers performance as well...

Is this feature request still an open issue? I would be grateful to get my pocket queries with the favourite points. I think it would have a positive effect to the Groundspeak servers performance as well...

I think it is still and open issue since we don't have a nano sized container and favorite points are still not in the PQ's. The first of the year is nearly here so we should be getting them real soon now.

I use the work-around GSAK API download, but definately looking forward to the update to include in pocket querry.

The GSAK API refresh workaround consumes a lot of resources that could otherwise be avoided if it were in the pocket querry already. It takes a long time for it to run the update in GSAK API for a big database of caches. Favorites points is the best improvement that geocaching.com made since I've been playing the game.

Thanks for keeping focused on this one. When it finally hits the pocket querry output its going to be powerful!

Adding our two cents. Please make it happen, scraping via GSAK is not optimal!

This request should rightly be name "FREE BEER... tomorrow!" :drama: Seriously, please. I think I first saw this request on that funky feedback system from a few years back. :rolleyes:

Tony & Laura

Edited by team_goobie

Most important would be the possibility to sort a PQ via the percentage.

There are slightly above average caches with hundreds of FP because tons of tourist or mega event visitors go there.

There are other much better caches which are rarely vsited but have a very hugh percentage of FP. Fnding the latter quick and easy isn't possible.

That's really bad.

I totaly agree with Waldpirat. My perfect Pocketquery would be:

Give me up to 1000 active Caches in the area with 10 to 95 PERCENT favorite points (assuming that 100% is a new cache, found one or two times from the friends of the owner).

The result is the kind of quality geocaching I am looking for, without complicated use of other tools. This has also something to do with my situation here in Germany: The landscape and much more the cities full of Caches. Good for me, but 40-70 percent of them not nice, not interesting.

This would also give very good new caches a good chance to get more visits and more Favoritepoints fast.

I too can't wait for favorites points to be included in the GPX pocket querry.

And I currently hog the internet bandwidth using the API through GSAK to update a database of caches as it runs one by one and takes seemingly forever. But I just found a slightly better option than that. Same sort of thing, using the API, but only fetching the favorites points information.

FrenchGC wrote a GSAK macro called FavCacheCounter.gsk that only pulls the favorites points information through the API. So it runs slightly faster and smoother this way. Here's the link on where to get the macro....

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=24973&st=0entry187227

Edited by slammer47

Hope you guys are not expecting a quick deployment of a PQ with favorite points. It has already been stated that PQ development is dead. Changing the .gpx data schema at this time is unlikely because it can cause GPS units to brick. What you have today with PQ's is what your going to have for a very long time, as forever. Get GSAK, learn how to use it and start using the API. If things are going to be added, they will be added to the API, not PQ's.