What's wrong with Geocaching.com

Turtle3863

Yep, I tried on two different computers across town and had a friend 1000 miles away try. There is another thread on this somewhere though. Haven't checked it today, maybe there is an explanation now?

I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people in the world. I'm just saying we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

Announcement:

The web site is changing its name to geocrashing.com

--------------------------------------------------

If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth, in your underwear, don't stop and think of what other words have "under"; in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness.

I'm putting the finishing touches on the new nearest cache page, which gets the brunt of the workload on the web site. I'm hoping to have it completed and tested by the end of the week in time for another record weekend.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by aww:

Is the problem the load from the scripts or that IIS is set with a maximum daily transfer? The error over the weekend indicated the transfer limit had been hit.

IIS inexplicably shut down on Sunday and the machine needed to be rebooted. Unfortunately it was a perfect storm event and neither I nor Elias were inside near a machine to evaluate and reboot the box. Normally one of us is close by to a machine. Compounded by this was our mail server having an issue so our IP monitoring service was unable to contact either of us so we could take action. Out of the almost 3 years running the site there have been only 3 occasions I know of where the site has been down for any prolonged period of time.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

Login fix for Safari:

After the last update, if you had a cookie stored to log you in, you likely weren't able to do much at geocaching.com. Real pain in the butt.

To fix this, you have two ways:

If you don't mind losing all your cookies, delete this file: ~/Library/Application Support/WebFoundation/Cookies.plist

If you do mind deleting your cookies, you can just delete the geocaching.com one... if you know how to not break xml files. Open the file above in a text editor. Search for "www.geocaching.com" When you find that text, delete the contents including and between the two nearest tags: <dict> and </dict>. There are likely two of these.

From then on, it should work great.

Good luck,

-Aaron

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

quote:
Originally posted by aww:

Is the problem the load from the scripts or that IIS is set with a maximum daily transfer? The error over the weekend indicated the transfer limit had been hit.

IIS inexplicably shut down on Sunday and the machine needed to be rebooted. Unfortunately it was a perfect storm event and neither I nor Elias were inside near a machine to evaluate and reboot the box. Normally one of us is close by to a machine. Compounded by this was our mail server having an issue so our IP monitoring service was unable to contact either of us so we could take action. Out of the almost 3 years running the site there have been only 3 occasions I know of where the site has been down for any prolonged period of time.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Even for being down a day, thanks for the positive response in getting the systems back up again.

Just when you think it's safe to go outside... That's what Murphy looks for... confidence to shatter. icon_eek.gif

Cheers!

TL

quote:

Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

IIS is your problem. Switch to a *nix (Unix or Linux) based website. From a webhost's point of view, they are faster, more secure and more stable. icon_smile.gif

quote:
IIS is your problem.

You read my mind Phark. Unfortunately the ASP on Apache module is pretty weak. I'm a MySQL and PHP guy myself, so I've been cringing when I see those .NET errors. I've been getting major errors when trying to download .LOC files for EasyGPS.

Example:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested Url: /waypoints/waypoints/default.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Searching through the cave. Team VaxCave.

87743_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Team VaxCave:

quote:
IIS is your problem.

You read my mind Phark. Unfortunately the ASP on Apache module is pretty weak. I'm a MySQL and PHP guy myself, so I've been cringing when I see those .NET errors. I've been getting major errors when trying to download .LOC files for EasyGPS.

The errors you are receiving have nothing to do with IIS or .NET. They're normal bugs that get introduced whenever you do significant code overhaul. They'd exist regardless of the platform and technology the site is written on.

Now, are you still having those errors? I think Jeremy's fixed pretty much all these bugs, so let us know if you're still having issues.

frog.gif Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty668:

I'm getting same errors as Team VaxCave is.

You'll need to give me more detail so I can look into this. What page were you on and what link did you click on that gave you this error?

frog.gif Elias

-----------------------------------------------

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

-----------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

icon_confused.gif Let me try this one more time.

What page were you on and what link did you click on that gave you this error?

frog.gif Elias

From any cache details page (right now I'm on GC78 Firestone), click

1. other caches _hidden_ ... by this user

2. other caches... _found_ by this user

3. nearby _caches of this type_

4. all nearby _caches_

All the four above pages return the "Server Error in '/' Application." message attempting to visit "Requested Url: /nearest.aspx" (apparently attempting to redirect to www.geocaching.com/nearest.aspx)

5. all nearby _placenames_

This one generates "The page cannot be found", also a 404 error, but it isn't displayed the same.

Finally, if I submit a log, I (usually) get the "Your visit has been logged" page which includes a link back to the original cache page. That link doesn't work and results in the "Server Error in '/' Application." error.

I looked at the page source and determnined the problem.

It's a bug in the geocaching.com site. In legal HTML, all redirects must be to fully-qualified URLs; attempting to redirect to a relative URL is illegal.

Thus, the link

<a href="./redir.asp?ID=74614&R=1" target="_blank" >

is only legal is redir.asp generates a fully-qualified URL. I strongly suspect that instead it generates a relative URL, which is a big no-no.

Oooooohhh Nooooo!

Illeagale code!!

Watch out or some one will Booby Hatch your servers!

My error comes from the page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c29098e2-ad1b-4f15-8ec3-b413b361e65c

For "Feel the Burn"

I click on the "download waypoint file (*.loc)"

Which takes me to a page:

http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/waypoints/default.aspx?ID=62081

With the notice:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573

But so far, it has happened on ANY cache page with that link on it I have tried.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

I strongly suspect that instead it generates a relative URL, which is a big no-no.

Downloading waypoints was a redirect problem. If you didn't agree to the license agreement it was redirecting you to the wrong place. It should be working now.

As for the redirect from the cache page, I cleaned up the code a bit. It *should* work now.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Come on everyone. Give the who people maintain Geocaching.com a break.

This is a totally cool site. Geocaching would be hardly anything without this site. And it totally free to join and participate.

I think we can all tolerate the site being too crowded from time to time.

Thank you to all the people who built and maintain Geocaching.com

Dusty668 posted a message here last night that everything was working normally now, but I just tried to access some geocache pages, and only got the same error replies everyone else has been getting. I am unable to access any cache information.

quote:
Originally posted by Seekers:

Dusty668 posted a message here last night that everything was working normally now, but I just tried to access some geocache pages, and only got the same error replies everyone else has been getting. I am unable to access any cache information.

You beat me to that response by mere moments.

I also cannot access any of the cache pages.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

Ah, so it's not just me then? Trying to view any cache I get this message:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.LateGet(Object o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack) +96

Geocaching.Functions.chkMail(String fString, String fTestTag, Int32 fType) +424

Geocaching.Functions.FormatStr(String fString) +52

Geocaching.Functions.chkString(String pString, String fField_Type, Boolean IsHTML) +328

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.BuildCachePage() +4767

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_UserNotLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +59

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1074

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +24

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +725

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

I'm having the same Server Error in '/' Application problem that others are having. Occurs if I try to look at any cache page regardless of whether that's from the search page, my cache page or elsewhere.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

4:34 PM EDT: looks like it's back up! No more problems here.

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)