How do a turn a series into a multi?

domromer

Over the past few months I've created a 5 cache series in a county park. I was thinking of turning this series into a multi. I'd like to put

clues to the 6th cache in each of the previous 5 caches. How do I go about doing this? I mean in terms of changes made to the caches on the website.

You can't change the type of cache:

6.10. Editing a Published Listing: Major Change.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=76

You would probably need to archive them, and submit a new multi-cache for review.

Mind you, the new multi-cache will need to go through the review process for each stage, and all the normal reviewer items.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Over the past few months I've created a 5 cache series in a county park. I was thinking of turning this series into a multi. I'd like to put

clues to the 6th cache in each of the previous 5 caches. How do I go about doing this? I mean in terms of changes made to the caches on the website.

If you want it to be a multi cache, you'll have to archive the existing five caches. You could still leave the containers in place to hold the coordinates for the subsequent stages, then submit a listing for a multi with each of the stages indicated as additional waypoints. This approach is not likely going to win you over with the local caching community as your single multi would take up the same real estate, and require visiting the same locations, for just the one smiley. It also going require the same amount of maintenance on your end as six distinct caches (if any of them go missing the sixth cache can't be found.

However, you could create the 6th cache as a mystery, leave the existing five caches in place that can be individually found, and just add a laminated card into each cache with the piece of information needed for the final cache. In the cache listing for the mystery cache you could either identify the GC number of the caches that need to be found or just mention the park and indicate that the information needed can be found in caches located in the park.

Soit sounds like I need to create I mystery cache. My plan is to put parts of the coordinates in the previous 4 caches and you'd have to visit them all to get the entire set of coordinates for the final mystery cache. In terms of the mystery cache page I know I need to enter in an initial set of coordinates. As I understand it these aren't for the mystery cache but somewhere you'd go to find the clue. In my case you'll need to go to 4 other caches in the same park. Is it possible to enter in 4 different set of coordinates. Or will I only be able to enter in one set of coordinates and then put the others in the long description?

Also should I be putting down the entire set of coordinates for each stop of just the GC code? Or both?

In terms of the mystery cache page I know I need to enter in an initial set of coordinates. As I understand it these aren't for the mystery cache but somewhere you'd go to find the clue. In my case you'll need to go to 4 other caches in the same park. Is it possible to enter in 4 different set of coordinates? Or will I only be able to enter in one set of coordinates and then put the others in the long description? Also should I be putting down the entire set of coordinates for each stop of just the GC code? Or both?

For the mystery cache, you can specify only one set of "posted" coordinates, but those coordinates can be anywhere you like, as long as it is within 2 miles of the actual cache location. For example, it could be in the middle of a lake, as that usually will remind people that the cache is a mystery cache with bogus coordinates. You also should mention in the cache description that the cache is NOT located at the posted coordinates.

The description also should list the four caches that people must visit to get the coordinates for the final/mystery cache. Providing the four GC codes (preferably with links) should be sufficient. You also can (and probably should) list the four preliminary cache coordinates as "Additional Waypoints" on your mystery cache's listing page.

Edited by CanadianRockies

The description also should list the four caches that people must visit to get the coordinates for the final/mystery cache.

Or not. Suppose the four caches are in a fairly large park which contains a dozen caches or so? Part of the challenge of the mystery may be to determine which caches contain the clues necessary to obtain the coordinates.