Lost "Gold Treasurer Chests" Nuvi

furshore

I have noticed the complaint that some people like myself did a software update on a Garmin Nuvi and the geocache gold chest icons were replaced with little black dots. Well, I am happy to report that a recent software update restored the gold treasurer chests. We don't use our Nuvi to find the cache, but it is helpful for driving to the cache. The little black dot was difficult to notice sometimes...so you may want to check on software updates if you also had this problem.

I have noticed the complaint that some people like myself did a software update on a Garmin Nuvi and the geocache gold chest icons were replaced with little black dots. Well, I am happy to report that a recent software update restored the gold treasurer chests. We don't use our Nuvi to find the cache, but it is helpful for driving to the cache. The little black dot was difficult to notice sometimes...so you may want to check on software updates if you also had this problem.

Was the software updated since Nov. 20th? I was getting the black boxes, so I upgraded before Thanksgiving. I'm still getting black boxes.

What method are you using to put the geocaches in? My husband and I spent days trying different methods of putting them in the Nuvi - both as favorites & POI's and nothing was consistant. We currently use GSAK and a macro and don't really care what they look like.

Was there an update in the last 10 days?

Was the software updated since Nov. 20th? I was getting the black boxes, so I upgraded before Thanksgiving. I'm still getting black boxes.

What method are you using to put the geocaches in? My husband and I spent days trying different methods of putting them in the Nuvi - both as favorites & POI's and nothing was consistant. We currently use GSAK and a macro and don't really care what they look like.

Was there an update in the last 10 days?

I'm not sure when this most recent update was released, but after just now updating my 1450 the maps now display caches as treasure chest rather than little black boxes!

Interesting about the "gold chests". On my Nuvi 1350 seeing the gold chests is as a result of a specific macro. I have the latest software update and depending upon which macro I use, I either get the (usual) little green boxes or the "gold chests". In fact I can get both if I run both macros. The "gold chest" .gpx file becomes my favourites which I periodically erase as I get tired of the cluttered screen.

I am seeking to understand the Nuvi 1350 and poi displays and I am in no way trying to be argumentative, however... Here are the "gold boxes" I see on my Nuvi. If these are not the same as are the topic of this post, then I stand corrected before I start.

scr02.jpg

- E: Nuvi 1350LMT running 5.70 software

- G: 4gb micro sd card where ALL of my poi, gpx and img (map files) are stored and I do not allow the Nuvi to copy any files on unit startup.

- GSAK Beta 8

- Garmin Poiloader 2.7

- macros I use (as I am a senior, I prefer larger text as well as different colored text on the Nuvi so I have modified both 1 and 2 for my personal preferences).

#1. Attrib_to_UserNoteLog.gsk An excellent macro that allows you to display text geocache attributes and user notes. (modified text and color display).

#2. GPX_by_Cache_Type_TourGuide.gsk, by jjred (and others). This is a great macro which outputs tourguide gpx files which work correctly on the Nuvi 1350 (modified text and color display).

#3. GarminExport.gsk which writes a gpx files to E: which I move to G:

#1 is only used when I start a new database.

#2 is used quite often but I only use the Traditional and Mystery output files. I have replaced the "dinging" wav file with a silent wav file and if I am not geocaching then I delete the word "TourGuide" from the filename.

#3 outputs a file called GarminCaches.gpx to E:/garmin/gpx/ and creates 2 subdirectories /POI and /POI Stash. I move the file GarminCaches.gpx to G:/garmin/gpx this way the geocaches end up as favourites (same as before) and I delete the subdirectories which makes reading the Nuvi Extras much easier. And as these geocaches do not contain data, they are only used to show the "gold boxes". So occasionally I must delete the entries in the Favorites file if I do not want to see these geocaches.

All of this to say if I do not do #3 I never see "gold boxes" so I am of the opinion these are present as a result of the macro, regardless whether I am running 5.7 or not. May I reiterate that I am seeking to understand the Nuvi 1350 and geocache displays and I am in no way trying to be argumentative

I use the 1450 as a navagational aid primarily for Geocaching. I use GSAK to export Geocache files in GPX format to my PC and then copy them to the waypoint file of the 1450. Prior to the recent 1450 FW update favorites where displayed on the maps of my unit as small black squares. While this was not a problem for me I do like the treasure chest better. I am of the impression this change in favorite icons was a result of this recent Nuvi FW update. If this is not the case, please explain.

I started another thread about this same topic prior to Thanksgiving.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285588&st=0&p=4903922&hl=nuvi&fromsearch=1entry4903922

The macros put the chests/green boxes in because its written in the macro as such (from what I understand). But to depend on the firmware to do it for you - is (from what we've seen) is inconsistent at best. One minute they'll show up and the next time they don't.

The one thing we do know - if you input the caches into the NUVI as FAVORITES - you can only store 1000 of them. You can try to upload more than 1000 into the unit, but it'll only pick 1000 of them for you. Until you look on the screen - notice that not all of them are 'showing up' (like you thought they should).

We've spent so much time with this already - and honestly.... we don't care about the black boxes anymore. My husband has a certain macro that he uses and has customized the name/listing to our liking, and the macro includes the description, D/T and some other things with it. They're still black boxes - and are POI's (in our EXTRAS) and we have 5800 of them in the unit. I think you can store many more than that as POI's / EXTRAS.

Even the alerts aren't working. I had them working at one point using a 5 mile distance (not using GSAK). But, we can't seem to get them to work at 1 mile (using GSAK/macro).

I think its a never-ending circle trying to get all this to work (it seems anyway) like you think it should.