Coordinates on iPhone

Paragon33

I finally tried my first multi-cache (GC1ZA89) while out with the kids. There were 8 regular caches along my route and figured why not. So we find the first stage easy enough, and I take a pic of the coodinates and write them down. I went to google maps on my iPhone 3Gs and input the coordinates. First without the degree sign, and it put the push pin right in the middle of a muffin factory. We scouted around the edge of the factory, which I was leery to do. Basically we were trespassing in my opinion. But searched around in vain. Re-enetered the coordinates with the degree sign and still put the pin in the middle of the factory. My question, has anyone had reliable results using google maps and inputting coodinates into a iPhone 3Gs? I have yet to purchase a true handheld gps yet. I did get a bonus from work, so I'm saving it for now, as I want to be sure I stick with this activity thru the winter and justify the expenditure. Using the free version groudspeak geocaching app has always been spot on, but the second stage obviously doesn't show. So a recap:

1. Reliable results on Google maps inputting coordinates?

2. Another free app for iPhone for inputting coordiantes?

3. Does the paid version of groundspeaks app allow inputting coordinates?

4. Do handhelds especially paperless GPSr's work well for this type?

I don't like getting skunked. I even found one this weekend that had two previous DNF's due to the fact in fell from it's spot and was buried onder leaves and trash. I got that puppy cleaned up and back to it's spot. So yes, it's eating at me that I missed one.

Regards

Gotta be careful with google map. It puts 2 pins on the map when you enter coords. One shows you the nearest street adress while the other indicates the actual coord location.

You either need to get the full paid app or buy a decent hand held unit. I would recommend a decent hand held unit since the iPhone 3Gs is known for not having a very good GPSr in it. But either way would help you allot. The official app has a way to enter in additional coords to complete a multi cache. It would be a good idea to get the full version of the official app even if you do go out and buy a good hand held unit. Then you can easily look up caches on the fly and have all the cache data right there in front of you.

I don't like getting skunked.

You had best get used to it. Even the best collect DNF's! (If they say they don't they is prolly lying!)

I mean, like, you go to find a cache, it isn't there (flood, animal carried it away, a tornado took it to Kansas or sumtin, etc.), so... what do you do? You looked, you didn't find it = DNF. Right? 'Tis a fact of geocaching.

Your questions:

1) Google maps are unreliable. Good here, bad there -- ya just never know for sure.

2-3)) We don't use a phone... but, I hear-tell you can enter coords (project waypoints) with the Groundspeak app.

4) Any GPSr that we ever tried (paperless or not) will allow input -- but, have not tried them all.

Good luck... but remember, some of the DNF logs are the best logs for reading. A find is a find, but a DNF usually has a story!

I'm new to the game so I can't have much of an opinion. But looking thru all of the feedback on the official gs app, I think it's best you find another option. Seems it crashes constantly. Anyways I got an app called geocache locator, which so far puts me at least 20ft. Works pretty good so far, and you don't have to manually enter coords.

I am on a 4G so it could be different for you.

Download the FREE version of the Groundspeak App called Geocaching INTRO. I've never used it myself(I have the paid version) but you could at least play with it for a while. If you don't like it, then just delete it.

The paid App is very very good and gets very good ratings and well worth the $10.

My husband and I started out with our iphones and the $10 app and had lots of fun. From there, we paid for our premium membership ($30) and after that, we bought a handheld GPS.

If you think you'll enjoy this hobby with your children - GET THE (paid) APP!

We've been geocaching for 7 months and we still use the Geocaching app everytime for logging our finds while on the field. The app is nice to use for logging trackables. The app is great for reading logs, giving favorite points, etc etc etc. Basically, we'll never stop using the app even with a handheld.

The paid app works great on my Iphone4. It does crash occasionally, but it gets back up quickly. It has a feature that allows you to enter the coord, you don't have to type them in, just flick some rollers till you've got the right number. Then it navigates you to those coords.

When i punch in coords on google maps app on my iphone I only get one red flag, not two like when i'm on a computer. If i got both flags then it would be useful on my phone, as of now google maps isn't useful for geocaching. Theoretically if you access goggle maps via safari (vs. the app) it should work the same

Well I guess you can, because when we had the fake jailbroken navigation it would put in coordinates on the maps search. And if you want to try it just put in the search the Latitude a comma then the Longitude. So it would be like this 40.823655, -73.810994 or like this N40°49.4193, W073°48.65964 these are real coordinates in bronx,ny so try these out and tell me if it comes up.

The paid app works great on my Iphone4. It does crash occasionally, but it gets back up quickly.

I'm quite surprised to see that. I have the full app on iphone4 and it is very slow compared with other apps. Also it is the *only* app on my iphone that crashes which it does too frequently. It needs sorting but here is not the place.

All that said, it is a very useful app and I wouldn't be without it. I use the iphone more than my handheld GPS nowadays to find caches as it is handy - I always have it with me. There are other useful Geocaching apps out there which might help but I guess you would have to message me for the links?

My advice: Spend a tenner - Get the full app. Later you can fork out for a handheld if you stick with the game.