Very Sad News

I have been informed by his sister this morning that JerryO (Jeremy Oldroyd) passed away during the early hours of Saturday morning, he was 47

Jeremy was a well known and respected Durham cacher known for his devious/clever caches

He will be missed by the local Geocaching community

His family have asked for donations to the RSPCA in lieu of flowers, if you would like to make a donation I have made a page at the link below.

https://www.justgiving.com/Mandy-Seymour0

If anyone would like the funeral details please let me know

Mandy

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Very sad indeed having met him on a few times he was a good man who set some really great caches which took caching to a new level in the northeast. He will not be forgotten and some of his caches are and still will be talked about so he will be missed.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Jerry and I never met and I was never able to try any of his caches but we had discussed many aspects of [extreme] caching online. He was a really nice guy and we nearly met in Spain a few years back when we both canoed to a cache on a far away island just hours apart.

He also maintained my cache on Mt Blanc and was ever so helpful about this after it had gone missing.

I know he was frustrated with some of the hardline guidelines on placing caches and removed some of his own for the same reason. He had some really wacky ideas for new caches including placing one on a massive concrete tower which I believe was never published.

I am truly shocked by his premature death and my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

His family should be aware that many in the Geocaching community will be very sad to hear of his death.

Very sad news indeed.

Jerry introduced me to the more devious side of Geocaching with his 'awful' sense of humour and his devious mind when setting caches which in turn has lead me to the 'dark side' when setting my own geocaches. He helped me out on more than one occasion with advice, hints and even walked me to a cache location that I couldn't find!!! Although he hasn't cached for a while he still attended the odd Event and will be sorely missed in County Durham.

A true 'game-player'