Micros in bushes: tips? tricks?

Team_RedPanda

Hi, we're new to this geocaching thing, and we're having a blast so far. Our little team is me and my two kids, ages 5 and 7, and occasionally my husband joins us when there's no football on tv :rolleyes:.

As of today, we've logged 11 finds in the past three weekends, but am embarrassed to say that we have searched for AT LEAST three or four times that many caches. Many of the caches in our area are micros hidden in bushes out in the desert and we just can't seem to find them, even though recent logs show them to be "Easy!" and "Thanks for the quick park and grab!" And even: "Out doing some night caching and found this one super quick!" What the heck?

We get down on our hands and knees and poke and poke, but come up empty-handed more often than not. The kids are troopers about it, but I can tell they get discouraged.

Are there any pointers or tricks or hints that you guys can pass along? LOL, other than "look harder"?

Well, let's see... High difficulty ratings can indicate a well-camouflaged container. And of course, you can check the cache's hint, logs, and photo gallery, just like any other cache.

Sometimes it helps to change the environment slightly to make the cache more visible. If the branches are small enough, you can jiggle them gently: hanging caches will move differently from the foliage. If the bush is big enough, you can stand at the trunk and look outwards. Using a powerful flashlight at twilight or at night can help too: the cache may reflect the artificial light differently from the foliage. Try holding the flashlight near your head (minimizing shadows like a headlamp) and to the sides at arms length (to emphasize shadows).

Well, twice our GPS led us to bushes and we were searching for the micros there. Of course without Luck. later we realised these micros weren't actually in a bush and it was just inaccuracy of the coordinates. I've yet to actually find a micro that is really hidden in a bush and I hope I'll never come across one of them as I think that's really not a good place to hide a micro.

Edited by Kochibu

You might want to do a little pre-planning of your caching outings and select caches that are Small or Regular sized. They're not so devious to find (usually) and kids usually enjoy the trading swag aspect of larger caches as opposed to finding just a logsheet in a micro.

I know in some areas (urban areas in particular) if you filter out all the micros there's hardly anything left but it's worth a shot :)

Something that really didn't occur to me until after finding some micros was most of them are hanging and not on the ground. I would be searching under rocks and logs and all sorts of stuff with the woodland micros in my area. come to find out if I just stood up and looked 4 ft off the ground it would have jumped right out at me.

When caching with the kids, for now you may want to limit your search to caches that are small, medium, or large containers, especially if you think they'd like to trade swag from the cache. As they get more into it, they may get more interested in micros if you throw one or two into the mix now and then.

Hi all, thanks for your replies! I guess we're still new enough to this that the kids are still super-excited to find *anything* out there, swag or not, especially in parts of the neighborhood that we've passed by for years and never suspected that there was secret stuff there to be found.

We're lured in by cache descriptions that say they are quick park-and-grabs, and by recent logs that describe how easy it was to find. Just really stumped as to how these hides are so easy for everyone else to find, but completely elude me.

But ya'll are right. I will have to start planning out our day so that we drive out a little farther from home and target the bigger caches.

Darin, thanks for the tips!

Here are some general hints:

Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help even in daylight! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

Are there any pointers or tricks or hints that you guys can pass along? LOL, other than "look harder"?

The time of day can make a huge difference. A container may silhouette nicely at a certain angle of light, when you couldn't see it before. Often, cachers are familar with various local hide styles and containers, so it's "easy" once you have a theory on what to look for.

You'll need a cache description and hint that's specific, or you may not find a Micro quickly. Try to hunt caches where you have a good idea of where to look when you arrive. At least until you'd like tougher ones.

I have had good luck with high powered flashlights. I usually take one into trees and bushes if it's in the early morning or late afternoon. Most cache containers have more gloss to them then the surrounding leaves. The light caches the gloss making them stand out. Bushes are usually a hanger type of cache. I work one area of the bush from the middle out, move over a few feet, rinse and repeat until I find the cache. I believe that systematic search routines are important in reducing search times, and increasing chances of finds.

We're lured in by cache descriptions that say they are quick park-and-grabs, and by recent logs that describe how easy it was to find. Just really stumped as to how these hides are so easy for everyone else to find, but completely elude me.

If it makes you feel any better, I still have this problem, and we've been caching for almost five years now.

The time of day can make a huge difference. A container may silhouette nicely at a certain angle of light, when you couldn't see it before. Often, cachers are familar with various local hide styles and containers, so it's "easy" once you have a theory on what to look for.

You'll need a cache description and hint that's specific, or you may not find a Micro quickly. Try to hunt caches where you have a good idea of where to look when you arrive. At least until you'd like tougher ones.

Micros in bushes or trees are my least favorite type of hide. If I don't find them fairly quickly, I give up and go on to another hunt. One thing that sometimes helps is to try a different time of day, or time of year. I found one in January, late afternoon, that had totally stumped me in October, midday. The just-before-setting sun hit the bison tube at just the right angle and all of a sudden it was easy.

Thanks all! Some very great tips here. Also, glad to know it's not just us having a hard time finding these types of hides. I had to google "bison tube." :P Definitely something to keep an eye out for from now on.

Go to ebay and search for geocache containers and you will find bison tubes, magnetic caches, and lots of other tricky containers. That sure helped me when I started out. Good luck and have fun

I'll throw my 2 cents in!

Rather it's a micro or a regular, etc. one of the first things that goes through my mind is:

1. Is the area prone to flooding? If so a good chance you should quit looking on the ground.

If it's a micro and your coordinates are clearly aiming at that evergreen bush, pine tree etc. Then a bison tube is a likely candidate. But is the tree dead? If so there might be a hole or two drilled in that tree that wouldn't harm the tree.

Wait til you see a pine tree that only has one pine cone growing on it. Hmmmm just a little suspicious!

#1 thing though will be experience an learning the cache hiders in your area and trying to figure out there tendencies. Once you get familiar with some of them there caches will seem much easier.

If it makes you feel any better, I still have this problem, and we've been caching for almost five years now.

Me too!

I've decided that "quick and easy find" is actually code for "You will spend at least 45 minutes, crawling on your hands and knees while people grab their children by the hand to make certain they you a wide berth ("Tommy, don't you dare go near that crazy lady crawling around over there"), you will reluctantly leave GZ with a heavy heart to go log your DNF and claim your online frowny face, and although you will be convinced (not just beyond a reasonable doubt but beyond all possible doubt) that the cache is long gone, the next cacher will find it and say, 'Thanks for the quick and easy find.'" :D

I'm new at this as well only been doing it for a couple of months now i'm up to 72 cache finds,What gets to me a bit is when you read what other cachers say " EASY Find " yea i don't think so,I was looking for a so called easy cache today in Warwick no luck !So just carry on and have fun and if you cant find the cache go away and look again another day.

The tip about not looking on the ground is a good one. Think about the weather and the seasons. Bison tubes are usually hanging near the bush core, sometimes behind the branch. Remember it should be in a position that survives wind, rain, etc..

Ha! I've had the honor to be FTDNF on many, many easy 1/1 caches!

There are many good tips here, and I, too, like TheRoadWife, found that looking online at cache supply websites helped a lot because you can see the many different types of containers that are out there, and it broadens what you might overlook.

I do want to say one thing to you, however, that isn't going to help you now, but to hopefully give you encouragement to not get frustrated early on. I would like to give you some tangible tips, but really... bear in mind that the more of these type of caches you find, the easier it will get. When you read the comments that say, "easy park and grab," check out how many caches that person has found! Probably at least 50 or more, and most likely more than several hundred. Just hang in there, and remember that the best teacher is experience. The tips are important and helpful, but don't get discouraged and shy away from them. For those who suggested that, I think that is a mistake. I think the more you try to find, and eventually DO find, the easier they will be for you too! Hang in there and just have fun! :D

I have always found it easy to find micros in trees/bushes - NOT! These remain some of my most despised hides. People around here rate them a 1/1 frequently much to my displeasure. I think many COs underestimate the difficulty of these hides.

Edited by geoCATing