Is this valid use of the "needs mainance" log?

Coldgears

I found a cache recently, and on the log-book some local kids decided to write curse words, including the "P" word, the "W" word and said, "This is stupid" on the log-book.

Would using a needs maintenance be okay in this case?

Not in my book. Why didn't you tear out the offending pages or black out the words when you found the cache?

Yes. In my experience, once a cache has been found by profanity-wielding locals, it may be time for the CO to consider moving (or perhaps archiving) the cache.

I would explain what you found in your on-line log. Let the CO know that the cache has been compromised, and that they may want to consider moving the cache to a slightly different location, or archiving it altogether.

Yes. In my experience, once a cache has been found by profanity-wielding locals, it may be time for the CO to consider moving (or perhaps archiving) the cache.

I would explain what you found in your on-line log. Let the CO know that the cache has been compromised, and that they may want to consider moving the cache to a slightly different location, or archiving it altogether.

Actually, that is an excellent point. The same thing could be said for those caches that have been found with "adult", or other inappropriate items in them.

Exactly.

A "NM" log for this situation is completely appropriate, and probably appreciated by the cache owner.

I'm surprised at the number of people who feel the proper response to defacement of the log is to further deface the log. If the offensive language (and given that we've only been told the first letters, I'm not even sure it's something I'd consider offensive) occupies a page or part of a page that could be removed without affecting other log entries then maybe ... but even then I really think it would be better to just log an NM, and regard it as the CO's right and responsibility to deal with it as they see fit.

I think we ought to be capable of discussing the issue of defaced logs without playing a guessing game about what the dirty words were.

Props to Coldgears who, through appropriate abbreviation activities, demonstrated a higher maturity level than some of the subsequent posts.

I disagree; since I can't guess with any great amount of confidence what the words in question were, I think clarification is needed. Casual perusal of the history of censorship shows that one person's unspeakable obscenity is another's colorful language.

I think we ought to be capable of discussing the issue of defaced logs without playing a guessing game about what the dirty words were.

Props to Coldgears who, through appropriate abbreviation activities, demonstrated a higher maturity level than some of the subsequent posts.

I disagree; since I can't guess with any great amount of confidence what the words in question were, I think clarification is needed. Casual perusal of the history of censorship shows that one person's unspeakable obscenity is another's colorful language.

And I'd give him props if he left it at curse words and didn't entice us with p and w. There was a puzzle that just begged to be solved.

With that...

Yes, but I would just remove the offensive material rather than post NM.

I would certainly do that myself, but the facts seem to indicate that the cache has been discovered by heathens. Worse yet, it seems it has been discovered by heathens with a propensity to write unseemly things in the logbook. Thus (indeed) the cache needs maintenance to move it to another location out of the way of the foul-mouthed heathens.

I found a cache recently, and on the log-book some local kids decided to write curse words, including the "P" word, the "W" word and said, "This is stupid" on the log-book.

My thought as a cache owner is yes, a NM log would be appropriate and appreciated. However I would suggest leaving the public log vague, i.e. "The logbook has been defaced and is in need of attention." If you feel that more complete information is needed I would prefer that it be sent via email as opposed to a public log. Going straight to email would also be acceptable to me, just please ask me to confirm that I received it and use the NM if I don't. I don't know that it happens but I have seen reports of emails getting lost around here.

If removing the offensive material wouldn't effect any other logs I would be OK with it but if it would effect other logs I would rather do it myself. If I lived farther away I might think differently but my farthest cache can be accessed in less than 30 minutes if needed.

(edited to add last paragraph)

Edited by NicknPapa

I think I am going to go with a NM. I don't just want to notify the CO but other searchers as well. The cache is hidden in what I consider a small rural town. In a nice park by a manmade lake no less. No bushwhacking either. It screams to be a kid friendly cache. I would hate to do that to the child or parent. And if it was their first cache this might deter them from looking for another. I didn't remove it myself because it was a micro so I would have to rip off half the log and other peoples log. I don't think what the words means matters. And I don't know how to let you guys know without nearly saying it. I can email someone/anyone if they want to see the picture or feel they can explain it better.