Possible New Feature?

cdawg

Would anyone else like to see the ability to search for caches not only by proximity, but by name? I think a keyword search of cache titles would help users find specific types of caches (color related, sports related, type of cache) or a filter to be able to only pick certain types of caches to display, like "webcam only" or those only with travel bugs, or only multi-cache finds. Anyone else agree, or am I just out there?

Cdawg

That would be another interesting way to search for what you want... I usually just want to be able to do some sort of sort by Difficulty and Terrain levels - since I've just started I want to slowly work my way up and clicking through the pages finding the just the 1/1s or 2/1 or 2/2s gets kind of old..

To much time on my hands - i just started creating an excel sheet with the info I wanted and use that then come back on here and do a search for the waypoint now... so I can get the description/hint/logs/map...etc... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**

[This message was edited by xWaterLilyx on September 20, 2002 at 02:55 AM.]

That would be another interesting way to search for what you want... I usually just want to be able to do some sort of sort by Difficulty and Terrain levels - since I've just started I want to slowly work my way up and clicking through the pages finding the just the 1/1s or 2/1 or 2/2s gets kind of old..

To much time on my hands - i just started creating an excel sheet with the info I wanted and use that then come back on here and do a search for the waypoint now... so I can get the description/hint/logs/map...etc... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**

[This message was edited by xWaterLilyx on September 20, 2002 at 02:55 AM.]

I do it all the time. Go to the "hide and seek a cache" page, and enter the keywords into the "keywords" box. It will return all caches that have the keywords in the titles.

As for the searches on other features, there are 2 answers: first, Pocket Queries can do most of what you described, and second, when the Pocket Query results start coming out as GPX files, you'll be able to easily load them into Excel or something like it and do queries to your heart's content on any characteristic you want.

According to Jeremy, the GPX format is the very next thing on his list, after the current bugs from the site speedup get squashed.

I realize I didn't make myself clear with my first response either, I agreed with the search for virtual, webcams, meetings, etc... I already knew I could do a name search by doing a keyword search, or using the waypoint.

I also know I can't do a terrain/diff. search though, how exactly would I keyword a star??

I do use the keyword search A LOT, however I can't do pocket queries, plus I don't have a PDA. So, those options don't help me much.

***Although as a side note-I'm sure I'll pay to be a charter member soon.***

Therefore, we were talking about features without being a charter member, and just by being online without extra steps involved beyond "Search"

icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!** icon_wink.gif

I realize I didn't make myself clear with my first response either, I agreed with the search for virtual, webcams, meetings, etc... I already knew I could do a name search by doing a keyword search, or using the waypoint.

I also know I can't do a terrain/diff. search though, how exactly would I keyword a star??

I do use the keyword search A LOT, however I can't do pocket queries, plus I don't have a PDA. So, those options don't help me much.

***Although as a side note-I'm sure I'll pay to be a charter member soon.***

Therefore, we were talking about features without being a charter member, and just by being online without extra steps involved beyond "Search"

icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!** icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

IMHO, the two best reasons to becoming a charter member are to support this site and to have specialized queries.

I agree with Markwell about the support of the site, and probably will agree about the queries if and when I start using them :-)

But I applaud Jeremy for his determination to keep this site ad free. I am hooked, so I suppose I would still use the site, but it is so much nicer to not have them, and the small fee for support is more than worth all the enjoyment I receive from this sport

Thanks for the Adventure

quote:
Originally posted by xWaterLilyx:

...I do use the keyword search A LOT, however I can't do pocket queries, plus I don't have a PDA. So, those options don't help me much.

You dont need a PDA to use the pocket queries... They allow you to also get a waypoint file in easygps format and with geobuddy you can convert it to several other formats including csv that pops right into excel.

quote:

...I do use the keyword search A LOT, however I can't do pocket queries, plus I don't have a PDA. So, those options don't help me much.

quote:
Originally posted by Team 5-oh!:

You dont need a PDA to use the pocket queries... They allow you to also get a waypoint file in easygps format...

And it should be noted that with EasyGPS, you can input those caches from your result DIRECTLY to your GPS. Ain't life grand? icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Team 5-oh!:

You dont need a PDA to use the pocket queries... They allow you to also get a waypoint file in easygps format...

And it should be noted that with EasyGPS, you can input those caches from your result DIRECTLY to your GPS. Ain't life grand? icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching