Trouble Unlocking Garmin SD

tincanbits

I've tried every which way to unlock a new Garmin Topo US 24k SD card and failed. Is it an automatic recognition process? There was no product unlock number anywhere in the packaging to unlock the product on the Garmin website. I have a Mac Book Pro, but don't think this has anything to do with the process. Please advise?

Have you selected the topo maps on the gps? On the map page, press menu and select 'Setup Map'. One of the choices should be 'Map Information-Select Map' You should see a list of all the maps on the gps. Depending what maps you have, you may need to disable all the other maps and enable the topo maps to see them.

Are topo's even locked? The DVD based topo's I have are not locked, can't see why the SD version would be.

The maps on micro SD cards are locked to the ESN of the card to prevent piracy. Lots of Garmin TOPOs are locked, maybe not the ones you've dealt with.

I have Canada TOPO, US 100k TOPO, and four regions of 24K. None are locked and previous queries to Garmin about this when it has been brought has always brought the response that topo are not locked.

Can you name one that is locked?

Are topo's even locked? The DVD based topo's I have are not locked, can't see why the SD version would be.

The maps on micro SD cards are locked to the ESN of the card to prevent piracy. Lots of Garmin TOPOs are locked, maybe not the ones you've dealt with.

I have Canada TOPO, US 100k TOPO, and four regions of 24K. None are locked and previous queries to Garmin about this when it has been brought has always brought the response that topo are not locked.

Can you name one that is locked?

Yes

Well what is it?

Sheesh, shall we start with the A's?

BTW, the topic title refers to locked SD cards. You might want to start a new topic if you want to discuss DVD products.

See below for more information about this map:

Download Requirements microSD™/SD™ card Requirements DVD Requirements

Map downloads are non refundable. Check compatibility before purchasing.

You cannot use this product to update the maps on your preloaded Garmin device. To order updated map data for your preloaded Garmin device, visit our Update Maps page.

This product may be unlocked and used on 1 compatible device (to unlock, simply follow the instructions on the certificate that comes in the packaging). If you want to use this same map on subsequent units, you must purchase a new map for each device.

Minimum System Requirements:

Internet access is required. Includes USB device drivers.

PC

Windows® XP SP3 or newer

1 GB RAM

at least 1024 x 768 display

24-bit color monitor

4 GB free disk space

DirectX 9.0 or newer

USB port

DVD drive

Mac®

Any Intel-based Mac or PowerPC Mac

OS X 10.4 or higher