What advice would you give...

dartymoor

Finding...

*ALWAYS take a pen

and

*Rural caching: always wear long trousers/long sleeves if you can possibly manage it

Hiding...

*Don't take negative feedback to heart (or even terse or unhelpful comments on, say, a forum). Try to use the info you've gained constructively to make this (or the next) cache better.

and

*Don't try to please everyone. You won't!

When you retrieve a trackable, a geocoin or a travel bug, from a cache make a note of the tracking number then and there - ASAP!

The logging of trackables can be confusing for very new cachers but as long as you have the tracking number to hand any errors or mis-loggings can be corrected. If you don't have the tracking number it becomes more complicated to put things right.

MrsB :)

Check the cache type - we've seen numerous logs from people who can't find a puzzle cache because they've been searching at the published coordinates.

Not to mention DNFs on one of our Earthcaches!!

Take several pens

Always look under your rucksac

When you've found a cache, keep looking in another couple of holes. That way it won't always be in the last place you look!

As Mrs B's comment on TB numbers - handy tip, take a photo of the number. Usually makes it much easier to read and you've made a note of it that won't get lost.

Hiding - only in locations that you want to visit frequently to maintain your cache

What a great thread, well done.

Blimey, where do I start? We would've chosen a shorter caching name but at the time, 'Hoomer' wasn't available.

Don't always trust your GPS. Once you are in the general vicinity of the cache, use your eyes and cachers nous too.

Have a story ready in case you get pounced upon by an inquisitive muggle. (As we have a dog, the old, 'Oh, we are looking for our dog's ball', trick usually suffices). Researching bark formations, checking fungi populous or counting slugs have all been used in the past, so I'm sure you could come up with something.

As an absolute minimum and from our experience, I would suggest the following:

1) If you are planning a long trail which doesn't involve retail opportunities, make sure you are carrying enough fluids for the trip. Thirst can be a deal breaker in finding caches, especially during the warmer months.

2) dodgydaved's advice is superb. Unless you are familiar with the area (or a good map reader), take a mark on your GPS of your start point(or car).

3) Spare batteries for tracker

4) Fully charged mobile phone

5)Pen

6) Appropriate apparel for the current (or pending) weather.

This is by no means, an exhaustive list and after a few years of caching, we carry much more but I reckon you could survive a caching trip with the above. Good luck and most of all....enjoy.

When you press "find next" on your GPSr, make sure it is really the one you want to go to. Often when doing a series the closest isn't the one you want to go to next.

(I made this mistake today and totally missed a cache; didn't realise until I got home).

And remember that "find next", to the GPS, means "the nearest in straight-line terms". I nearly got caught out by that when the nearest cache to me was something like 0.25 miles but the Thames was in the way (the route via the nearest bridge was more like 4 miles)

One obvious thing to remember is to look at the map ! The number of times we have"followed" the arrow, forgetting that the compass is "as the crow flies" and found that we are the wrong side of the river, railway, gorge etc., or climbed up a near vertical slope and then finding that there was a nice wide path just round the side of the hill. So quick check of the terrain loading and if its less than 3 you are not going to have to scramble up a slope! then stop, look at the map and work out a sensible route.

!Simples!!

Lots of good hints here, wish we could remember them all!

We'll add - especially at this time of year, take a torch with you, even if it's just a tiny (DrSolly) key torch - I hate to think how many times we've been caught out as the days get shorter. :rolleyes:

And also take some form of reflective clothing in case you have to walk along a road with no verges in the dark.

Check the cache type - we've seen numerous logs from people who can't find a puzzle cache because they've been searching at the published coordinates.

Not to mention DNFs on one of our Earthcaches!!

I've logged a DNF on an EarthCache! :blink: I forgot to take a photograph of "me or my GPS" at the location, although, these days, that wouldn't matter!!! :P

Read the cache page, it may well contain information that will help you get to the next cache. It may also stop you from pulling apart the drystone wall that`s nearby. As someone who was due to go on a drystonewall building course thanks to being made redundant I found out how expensive it is to replace / rebuild them, aprox. £75 to £100 per meter, that`s a lot of money when you consider that your gps may be off by 3metres either way. If I`m searching anywhere near a wall I ALWAYS use my eyes first and even then I feel bad about turning over stones I think the cache is under

Edited by jason johnson

I won't say if I will say when... you are in that situation where you put the cache back and camo it up ready to leave and realise you still have the pen/cil in your hand/pocket PUT IT BACK !!!

Ha, reminds me of a caching run I did some months back. I got home and wondered what it was I had in my pocket. Turned out it was one of the log books, and needless to say it was the log book from the furthest cache from home I'd visited.

Luckily the cache owner was understanding, and I posted it back to him.

Read the cache page, it may well contain information that will help you get to the next cache. It may also stop you from pulling apart the drystone wall that`s nearby. As someone who was due to go on a drystonewall building course thanks to being made redundant I found out how expensive it is to replace / rebuild them, aprox. £75 to £100 per meter, that`s a lot of money when you consider that your gps may be off by 3metres either way. If I`m searching anywhere near a wall I ALWAYS use my eyes first and even then I feel bad about turning over stones I think the cache is under

Surely that should just be don't search in dry stone walls? Caches shouldn't be there in the first place and will likely only be there if someone has slipped them past the reviewer in which case appropriate action needs to take place to temporarily disable the cache until it's relocated or archived.

My little offerings:

Take some thick gloves

Acquire a local Ordanance Survey map

Follow the route/car parking advice in the listing page as your quicker route to GZ sometimes often proves disasterous.

Dont get stressed out if you dont find a cache straight away.

Take time to read and digest the ethos, guidelines and etiquette of the game.

Give some thought to your on-line log, CO's and subsequent finders usually enjoy reading and sharing experiences.

Think about what you are wearing in 'Stinging Nettle' season. Those singlets, daisy dukes and flip flops are probably great on an urban cache but not in the woods.

Wellies!

Be prepared to lose a lot of your life to looking at the map on the website to plan your next trip out.

Be prepared to lose a lot of your life to looking at the website, for new caches.

Be prepared to lose a lot of your life to planning hides.

Be prepared to lose a lot of your life due to withdrawal symptoms when you can't check the website, for whatever reason.

Be prepared to develop OCD, when checking 'nearest to home list', wanting to complete the pages.

For the Iphone cacher like myself:

If going to do a series, transpose the co-ords on to a google map and print off. Saves phone battery. And type/write down hints.

Fully charge the phone. Experience tells me not to is a major error.

When checking on the phone, after finishing close the app, if you don't it will continue to run the GPS element in the background, draining battery life.(when your out on a caching series)

Don't get dispondent at not finding a cache. As you gain experience, you'll begin to recognise likely hiding places. Some caches are not meant to be found easily, some are more about the walk with the added bonus of caching.

Just remember, it's meant to be fun. If your not enjoying it, move to a different cache.

Edited by JimJoolz

For the Iphone cacher like myself:

If going to do a series, transpose the co-ords on to a google map and print off. Saves phone battery. And type/write down hints.

Fully charge the phone. Experience tells me not to is a major error.

When checking on the phone, after finishing close the app, if you don't it will continue to run the GPS element in the background, draining battery life.(when your out on a caching series)

Ladysolly has a backup battery that clips onto her iphone; it gives it a lot more lifespan.