Cheap GPSrs for New Cachers

McFlyAway

I've been thinking about getting a GPS receiver for Christmas. I've got a limited budget, so I've got not so many choices. What I was thinking was either a Geomate Jr, a Delorme PN40, or an old Garmin eTrez (or eTrex). I definitly need something that has good memory and a basemap(maybe), and my budget is about 30-55 dollars. I could get one at the flea market, but I can't seem to find one where I go. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

geoguy14

I don't know about the Gecko. I just checked on eBay and all I could find was the charger (it was pretty cheap, though). That doesn't really answer my question. What's the best one of these for my situation? Are there any others I might be able to use? Are there any good internet sites I could get one from (no out-of-stock, please). Feel free to share any other suggestions you might have.

Note: I might have to change the title of this topic to "Christmas Reciever Dillema". How do I do that?

Thanks,

geoguy

You might be able to get a geomate jr for that price, used. Any PN-40 you get for anywhere near that will be broken. Since your budget is seriously constrained, get what you can. Any GPS receiver will work for geocaching. The more modern units provide specific support for geocaching (paperless), but you won't find that in the price range you're looking at. The Garmin eTrex 10 can be had just under $100, and that's about the cheapest you'll get paperless support for, unless you find someone who has no clue about what they're selling.

Hope this helps!

Later!

eTrex

OH, WOW! I just looked at eBay, and there is an eTrex personal navigator for $29.99 in an auction! I might have to snatch it up.

What are the features I can get out of this?

Apisphere

Neat idea. Yes, I actually thought the Geomate would be my best choice. Is there any other GPSrs that might 'fit the bill'(literally)? What are the features and limits of one? Most importantly, where should I get it (online, Target, anywhere else)? Is there a site I can go to that can give me great deals on a Geomate? Feel free to give your ideas on what I should do.

Thanks,

geoguy14

Edited by geoguy14