Good CHEAP Android phone for occasional caching?

Hi all

My middle son is away now at university, and is missing being able to occasionally steal my GPS and go out for a quick cache hunt.

He has asked for an Android smartphone on contract for his Christmas present, and one of the things he is hoping to use it for is for occasional caching.

He doesn't need anything super fancy (anything will be an improvement on his old brick of a not-at-all-smart phone!) - so I was looking at the cheaper Android contracts - under £20 a month, preferably closer to £15.

Can any of you recommend a cheaper end Android handset that works well for caching. (For example, I was looking at the HTC Wildfire S but then I wondered how well that one functions as a GPS as the screen is pretty dinky and it would be tricky to see the maps in detail, maybe?).

And if you’ve seen any particularly good offers about, please let me know. (UK only, obviously, which is why I've posted this in here....)

ta!

Sarah

Hi all

My middle son is away now at university, and is missing being able to occasionally steal my GPS and go out for a quick cache hunt.

He has asked for an Android smartphone on contract for his Christmas present, and one of the things he is hoping to use it for is for occasional caching.

He doesn't need anything super fancy (anything will be an improvement on his old brick of a not-at-all-smart phone!) - so I was looking at the cheaper Android contracts - under £20 a month, preferably closer to £15.

Can any of you recommend a cheaper end Android handset that works well for caching. (For example, I was looking at the HTC Wildfire S but then I wondered how well that one functions as a GPS as the screen is pretty dinky and it would be tricky to see the maps in detail, maybe?).

And if you’ve seen any particularly good offers about, please let me know. (UK only, obviously, which is why I've posted this in here....)

ta!

Sarah

For a light user you could consider buying the phone outright and then getting a SIM only contract.

When I looked at one for my wife the phone would be free on a £20/mo contract for 24 months. Or I could buy it outright for £160 and then put a £10/mo SIM only contract on it.

After 12 months the free phone option would have cost £240 compared to £280 doing it my way. But by the end of the second year (which would be mandatory, given the 24-month contract) the free phone option would cost £480 compared to £300. And obviously the savings continue to accumulate.

gotta agree buy a phone [initial cost is high but works out over the 18 months/24 months]i have bought 3 phones from gumtree all sub £110 [2 x iphone 3gs's [16gb] and htc desire ]got a sim from giffgaff [unlimited text /internet and 250 mins talk for a £10 a month]works out cheaper than contract

Edited by dtr422

I don't have the cash spare at the moment to buy the phone outright, unfortunately, what with the other Christmas pressies I have to get, but I agree that would have been a better option in the long run

That 3 deal on the Wildfire S looks better than the other deals I had found on that phone - thanks for that link Dr D&V

I'll also check out the Sony phone that a couple of you have recommended, thanks

In my experience the HTC Wildfire which my husband owns has been more reliable for caching than my sony xperia, but I guess that might be the networks we are on rather than the actual phone. (I'm with orange but can't remember if his is with three or O2 now.)

Wildfire generally seems to be a good phone too, he's never had any complaints about it.

If you haven't bought already you should look at the Orange San Francisco (ZTE Blade). Around £80 to buy, free to unlock, then a £10 goodybag (Monthly) on GiffGaff gives you unlimited internet (and if you ask me to get a sim sent to you , we each get a fiver credit :D).

It has GPS, compass and runs android so you can use the official app or the other 'must not be named' app out there, bth work well.

I've been using it for a year to cache, always got me to the cache. Add other apps like OS Maps etc and it's a fab piece of kit.