Thanks the Volunteers

knowschad

Three reasons... one, today is Thanksgiving [in the U.S.A.]. The other reason is that I just got the Groundspeak newsletter and it suggested that we thank them. But most of all, because I am grateful for our volunteer reviewers and moderators. Our favorite activity would not exist as we know it without their tireless hard work. I tip my hat to you guys and gals... thanks!

Edited by knowschad

Well, it's not Thanksgiving here in Canada, but I did receive my Groundspeak newsletter. I thought it was an excellent idea to acknowledge and thank the volunteers. Since I don't do Facebook, I was going to start a forum thread, but got beat to the punch.

For those folks who don't subscribe to the weekly newsletter, here's the message:

Please join Groundspeak in thanking the volunteers who fuel the geocaching adventure for millions of treasure-seekers. More than 350 Volunteer Reviewers, Moderators and Translators give their time and talent to support Geocaching.com users. These dedicated volunteers serve the worldwide geocaching community by reviewing each cache listing before publication, moderating Groundspeak's community forums and translating hundreds of pages of text. The volunteers don't just serve the world of geocaching; they represent it.

The geocachers who volunteer are a diverse and hard-working group from nearly 30 countries. They are involved in their local geocaching communities and help a growing number of new geocachers discover and enjoy the activity.

The ranks of the volunteers are growing too. Groundspeak added more than 40 new volunteers in 2011. Collectively, they have published more than a half million new geocaches, supported more than 380,000 new geocachers and translated geocaching information into more than 25 languages in the past year alone. That's a lot of time and geocaching know-how shared for the good of the global geocaching community. Oh, and most of them have "regular jobs" too.

Please take the time to join us in thanking a Volunteer Reviewer, Moderator or Translator today! Visit the Geocaching.com Facebook page to say thank you and leave a message for your local volunteers. Click here for information about finding your local Volunteer Reviewer.

Thank you, Groundspeak Volunteers.

Would like to add my very grateful thanks to all the reviewers, especially Marko Ramius and Kosh Naranek for our area, and to all the moderators. Excellent job and thanks for all the hard work for our hobby (read: obsession!). You guys and ladies ROCK!!!

edited 'cause I can't spell.

Edited by steben6

Isn't it only the Thanksgiving holiday in America? Do other countries have a similar holiday? Carry on.

Yes, the volunteers have a thankless job and I wouldn't want the burden, so THANK YOU very much. I often think about the Texas reviewer and how he handles the job alone. Pretty amazing. I have not even an educated guess as to how long it typically takes to review and publish a cache listing, but say it takes five minutes per, that's a heck of a time buster. Sometimes, there are 10-15 new caches just within 20 miles of my home. I'm sure there is alot of automation to it?? But, that's still alot of time.

Isn't it only the Thanksgiving holiday in America? Do other countries have a similar holiday? Carry on.

Yes, the volunteers have a thankless job and I wouldn't want the burden, so THANK YOU very much. I often think about the Texas reviewer and how he handles the job alone. Pretty amazing. I have not even an educated guess as to how long it typically takes to review and publish a cache listing, but say it takes five minutes per, that's a heck of a time buster. Sometimes, there are 10-15 new caches just within 20 miles of my home. I'm sure there is alot of automation to it?? But, that's still alot of time.

Canada absolutely has it, but it's on a Monday in October. Same thing, they all eat Turkey and such, but do it on a Monday.

I was wondering, and that's the first I ever heard of the number of reviewers, pegged at 350 in the newsletter, but I don't know if that includes moderators and translators, which may not necessarily be the same.

I hate to have to do this, but let's keep on topic to thanking volunteers (for which I am grateful!)

To answer a question, the figure of 350 volunteers includes ALL reviewers, moderators, translators, etc. -- there are not 350 volunteer cache reviewers. There are many moderators and translators who perform only that role.

Also, many reviewers are dogs.

Three reasons... one, today is Thanksgiving [in the U.S.A.]. The other reason is that I just got the Groundspeak newsletter and it suggested that we thank them. But most of all, because I am grateful for our volunteer reviewers and moderators. Our favorite activity would not exist as we know it without their tireless hard work. I tip my hat to you guys and gals... thanks!
+3

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And we're especially thankful for the service of all our canine volun... SQUIRREL!

Uh, where was I?

I hate to have to do this, but let's keep on topic to thanking volunteers (for which I am grateful!)

To answer a question, the figure of 350 volunteers includes ALL reviewers, moderators, translators, etc. -- there are not 350 volunteer cache reviewers. There are many moderators and translators who perform only that role.

Thanks, I wasn't expecting an answer for that one! I did indeed know many reviewers were dogs though. And by the way, since I didn't mention it in my mostly off-topic previous post, Thanks. :P

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! Also I like most dogs better then many humans. Frogs are OK too. :laughing:

Thank you all reviewers and moderators!!!

Especially Keystone, who has such a great sense of humor and keeps getting funnier all the time. Tough job to handle with humor, and you do it so well!!!

and another special thanks to Briansnat for all your great wisdom!!!

Thanks to my local reviewers and those who work back-up in my area:

Team misguided, Wizard of Ooze, Rock Rabbit, Ice and Wind, Cascade Reviewer, and anyone else I'm missing.

Thanks so much!!! You guys make it happen!!!

And another thanks to all those behind the scene who's names we don't know, but who make it all happen!