Twilight (book series) geocoins?

TheRoadWife

Hello everyone! I'm still pretty new at geocoins and I'm not even sure where to start looking for this item so I thought I would ask the experts :). I have a friend who is a MASSIVE twilight series fan and I recently took her geocaching and she loves it. I was really hoping I could get her some Twilight geocoins for christmas, but I don't know where to find them. I did a basic google search and I found pathtags, but I like the geocoins more! Can anyone point me in the right direction and prevent me from having to get the pathtags instead :(

Thanks in advance!

TheRoadWife

I do not know the ins and outs of the laws so take what I'm about to say with a pinch of salt, but as I understand it.

Pathtags = anything goes for whatever reason = no copyright issues (I have several of my own, some with my own artwork, some with borrowed)

Geocoins = all coins approved by GC.com = very few licenced /trademark coins, as you have to get permission to use and image or likeness

and without wanting to put anyone off side :laughing: this is one time I'm so very grateful :anibad:

probably the closest you'll find in a geocoin (others will correct me if I'm wrong,) would be the 2007 Halloween geocoins...best bet to find one would be to post in the geocoin trading post at the top of this page, or watch e-bay.

if you're hoping to have trackable coins made, post that, and I'm sure you'll get the directs to the geocoin manfacturer's Groundspeak approved.

ILYK

It makes sense that pathtags would offer a wider range of design subjects since it's soooooo much cheaper (10x) to make 100 pathtags than it is 100 geocoins.

Here's the coin Doc was referring to. Unfortunately, as you can imagine, this came out 4 years ago and has since sold out but you might be able to find one on the re-sale market or up for trade on the coin trading site(s) - hint, it sounds like Cointracking. :unsure:

PB300029.jpg

Edited by Droo

There aren't any Twilight themed coins due to copyright issues. There are only Pathtags using the designs and themes.

I tried to talk a certain designer into a Team Jacob/Team Edward coin almost a year ago. She never was very interested for fear of copyright issues.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Pathtags = anything goes for whatever reason = no copyright issues (I have several of my own, some with my own artwork, some with borrowed)

Technically that is not true. They state

Your purchase does not include any licensing or rights as may be needed should the design include copyrighted content.

Just because pathtags lets you do it, it does not mean there are not trademark/copyright issues. If the twilight author were to come after them, they would just point at you. The chances are slim to none, but the threat is there.

I do not know the ins and outs of the laws so take what I'm about to say with a pinch of salt, but as I understand it.

Geocoins = all coins approved by GC.com = very few licenced /trademark coins, as you have to get permission to use and image or likeness

and without wanting to put anyone off side :laughing: this is one time I'm so very grateful :anibad:

Yikes, this is why sooner or later there are going to be a lot of issues and heartache out there :( Both of these statements are unfortunately inaccurate.

PathTags, Wooden Nickels, SigMarx, Geocoins and any other form of personal signature do not allow freedom from copyright regulation. Some sites like 'Tags simply make you sign a contract that states you personally guarantee that you've secured permission for the use of all content putting any and all blame directly into your own lap if you use subject matter you don't own. Many, MANY have and sooner or later it's going to blow up.

TRACKABLE (at geocaching.com) geocoins go through a review process where a Groundspeak Lackey often catch items that are in direct violation of copyright and trademark violation. On occassion there are still a few that make it through the review process, but shouldn't have.

Back on topic though, with the incredible popularity of the Twilight series stories I wouldn't be surprised to see a coin made soon. In the meanwhile there are quite a few wolf coins out there and more than a couple bats, vampires, etc. coins as well. The pinned trade threads above have some of each :)

Yikes, this is why sooner or later there are going to be a lot of issues and heartache out there :( Both of these statements are unfortunately inaccurate.

Snip

The point I was trying to make but failed to do as my wording was not clear, no surprise there :laughing: was that no pathtag is knocked back as no one is looking at designs and asking the question "do you have permission" (due to the statement on their site as pointed out) were GC.com do have someone asking. :anibad:

I wonder if the Cullen family crest and the Quileute symbols are fine then...they can't be copyright issues with things that are thousands of years old right?! I may have found my loop!

Those were the main design elements I suggested to the designer I approached with the Team Jacob/Team Edward coin. Like I said, she passed on the idea.

I would understand her passing if you wanted Team e or J...but the symbols themselves do not have a copyright on them (i looked :D ) it would be no different then me using My family crest or my native american friend's family symbol. The only other thing I could think of was to have a coin made that sparkled with the name edward on it! :D Or one that has a the back side of a "jacob" looking person and the name jacob on it and the front side a wolf. No issues there either....i'm just going to have to be more creative!

I wonder if the Cullen family crest and the Quileute symbols are fine then...they can't be copyright issues with things that are thousands of years old right?! I may have found my loop!

Those were the main design elements I suggested to the designer I approached with the Team Jacob/Team Edward coin. Like I said, she passed on the idea.

I think you still have to be careful. As far as I can tell the Cullen family crest was produced for Twilight, it's different than the ancestral one. As for the Quileute, you can try buying royalty free artwork. Even if something dates back 500 years, an artist who recently did their own interpretation is still copyrighted.