Need Tips for a Turkey Day Cache Run

JeepFreak81

Hello everyone,

So I've mapped out a route that I plan to drive tomorrow morning about 55 miles long with a drive time of 1hr and 25min without stops. Along that route there are 31 caches within 1 mile on either side. I'm planning to hit as many of these as I can before my estimated 5 hours are up and I have to head home for Turkey dinner!

So here's some challenges I face - the most I've ever done in one day is 4 (mostly because time constraint). What's the best way to keep everything straight for logging later on, notepad? I've chosen caches that are short walks and P&G's so that I'm not spending too much time hiking.

Also, we just got hit with about 6" of snow what are some tips for hunting in the snow? I'm not going to let old man winter slow me down, I wanna hit my 50 cache milestone tomorrow so I need at least 16 caches.

So what advice can you veterans offer me to improve my find rate and keep things rolling to make my 5 hour deadline.

Thanks!

Also, we just got hit with about 6" of snow what are some tips for hunting in the snow?

Might be a bit late to be of much help, but pay attention to if the cache is flagged as Winter Friendly or if the logs make it sound like it's off the ground. Those caches will be about the same as during the summer, if not easier. You may also want to bring along a hiking staff/ski pole to poke around under bushes. I've found a number of caches due to the distinctive sound an ammo box makes when whacked by a stick ;)

While 6 inches won't make a huge difference, if you've got a goal and a time limit it might not be the best time to work on winter caching skills. If the first few are giving you a hard time it may be better off logging them with DNFs rather than spending lots of time searching. As you get closer to the end you can spend more time as you'll have a better idea how much time you can spend.

6" of snow shouldn't cause any problem. You will still be able to see where the fallen logs, tree stumps, and bigger rocks are... the types of places most likely to hold caches that are hidden on the ground. Bring a tough pair of gloves or mittens though. I know of cachers that will even bring a broom along in the snow. Good luck!