[TBUG] was placed in

skydiver

Have noticed this happening for a while, but it didn't really bug me much (pun intended) icon_rolleyes.gif , so I never mentioned it.

Some of the emails I get for TB's I'm watching or own have a subject line of ...

'[TBUG] was placed in'

and in the body it says

'User SoNSo has placed into the cache .'

However, some of the emails I get show the bugs name and the cache name in the appropriate blanks. Seems to go about 50/50 either way.

Anyway, as I said, it doesn't really bug me, but since nobody else had mentioned it, I thought maybe nobody else had noticed it (or maybe it doesn't bug anybody else either).

---------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

---------------------------------------

I get those, too. It hasn't bugged me much either, since I only watch my own bugs and know their numbers, but it could get kind of annoying after a while I suppose. Here's the text of an actual message:

From: (Geocaching)To: (Fuzzy)Subject: [TBUG]  was placed in Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:50:53 -0700THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL MESSAGE FROM GEOCACHING.COMReplying to this message will not send a message to the user. Email contact@geocaching.com with any questions---------------------------------------------------User Genoist has placed  into the cache . You can visit the Travel Bug at the following link:http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=3929User comments:Placed Puzzle Palliatives, Pretty Please? travel bug here.  Come find it!If you would like to modify your watch list, please visit www.geocaching.com.Cheers,Geocaching.com Team 

warm.gif

I e-mailed J about this about a week ago. His response was something like "It happens sometime. I don't really worry about it because it still shows the URL for the bug and you can look at the information there."

Travel Bugs have always seemed to be about 3 steps behind caches when enhancements are added, and then if there's a bug (pardon the pun), the fixes seem to take longer to happen.

Not saying anything needs to be changed, just making observations. It's much more important to get everything on the CACHE side of the database working correctly or enhanced than it is on the BUG side of the database.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Markwell is unfortunately correct. Right now we're having record visits to the web site, and as a result we're concentrating more on how to keep the site running with all the people looking at it at once (sort of like dealing with traffic problems in Seattle. Little streets, lots of traffic). Since web sites are unlike roads because you can't "queue up" to see a cache page, we have to find some other creative solutions.

Unfortunately, as a result, feature enhancements and bug fixes fall by the wayside. We do have some grunt work to do but once it is done we can add many of the features requested.

This bug in question is a result of the update statement working slower than the select statement. So as the "drop off" code is executing, the query executes, so the text is cut off. Fortunately the ID is available of the bug so you can see what happened.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location