What do you pack on a geocaching vacation?

- An iPhone or netbook with the geocache files stored on them in case my GPS plans to die unexpectedly (it does this too often I'm afraid)

- Extra batteries!

- Various TBs

- A camera

- Two replacement geocaches, a micro and a nano. When you're in China a hundred miles from another cache and it's very obvious a fellow left the original there on vacation... well guess what, you're going to replace it yourself!

- Mini notebook for writing down coords/ interesting info for Earthcaches begging to be developed B)

The rest is the same old stuff anyone takes on vacation I think.

Extra undies and dry socks.

That and batteries.

I only carry a couple of extra sets of batteries. But then I also have a recharger (wall/car) so I hardly need more the one extra set...

I generally also carry a couple of differnet packs - lumbar pack and small backpack - depending on where I'm going. That allows me the flexibility to carry on me whatever I might need. The small backpack is also carry-on size, so if I fly it acts as luggage.

A pair of good hiking boots is also standard for me. That way trail surface doesn't bother me - from pavement to off-trail.

Batteries (lots and lots of batteries), Camera, Spare logs, some trade items, Trackables (of course!) Spare socks, change of clothes (you never know when you'll tear something of fall in the muck), Spare boots (boots, one pair, wet = disappointment) pocket mirror (there's benches and key holders everywhere) battery charger and DC/AC converter (to plug charger in), small computer, usually my ancient tablet.

Yes, TP, especially when camping, though I do bring a small roll in my backpack for when nature is quite insistent. There's not much else handy in the desert.

Food and water, also, lots of that.

Edited by DragonsWest

It would be helpful to know what sort of vacation. I pack very different for a trip to New York, a trip to Cancun or a backcountry wilderness trip.

New York provides lots of cellular data and electric outlets so all I would take is my iPhone. Cancun is iPhone for me and an old eTrex loaded from a single PQ since there are not as many caches there. Backcountry trip is full Garmin Colorado topo maps, shelter, food, batteries, map, compass, etc. iPhone is in the pack but in airplane mode and mainly for emergency use.

Details, details ....

TP is #1 for #2. LOTS of TP.

Even if the area "might" have a porta potty (I won't go there -literally and...) there's always none. Winter approaching, crispy leaves are out.

Extra batteries. A spare GPSr (even though we both have phones/apps).

Water. Lots of water. Even if you stay at a motel, you really want to fill your hydro with that chlorinated stuff? And forget roadside springs that the locals swear is safe to drink.

When we spent the week at GWIX and North, we had four Surefire flashlights between us - hey, you never know.

Other than those, guess it'd be whatever you take along caching/vacationing any other time.

I hope that everyone who takes TP with them also takes a shovel to bury it!!! In our country freedom campers have ruined all the rest areas by leaving their toilet paper where they used it. Nasty. There's a couple of caches in rest areas that require some careful footwork to avoid people's toilet paper. Have even seen it at a rest area where there is a toilet available!

Well thats my gripe.... - I do take TP as well, but only for when bathrooms are out.

I take GPS, tablet, laptop, and all the chargers I need for them and my GPS's rechargeable batteries. Maps for the area for when c:geo fails (out of coverage). Antiflamme - for rubbing on tired aching muscles at the end of the day, hand sanitiser, paracetimol, my cache log/directions book, my camera, and a few spare pencils and logs for stocking caches. Also tend to snoop around local caches on GSAK and try to grab a couple of TBs that look like they need to be moved to a new area - the flip side of that, is I always try to being some TBs home with me.... cos I live at the Southern end of New Zealand, people like their TBs to go as far and as wide as possible.... we're about as south as you can go without going to Antarctica! oh yeah - and several different jackets! I always have one for caching - when you go bush you tend to get it quite grubbing, so its good to have a spare for going out for dinner etc!

I hope that everyone who takes TP with them also takes a shovel to bury it!!! In our country freedom campers have ruined all the rest areas by leaving their toilet paper where they used it. Nasty. There's a couple of caches in rest areas that require some careful footwork to avoid people's toilet paper. Have even seen it at a rest area where there is a toilet available!

Well, back in the good old days the Boy Scout handbook and just about every other outdoor guide recommended digging a small hole and burying your waste. But nowadays the enviro-Nazis would have a fit if you dug a 6" hole in precious Mother Earth. I guess it's OK to leave your nasty TP lying around though..."It's biodegradable, dude!" :blink:

Well, back in the good old days the Boy Scout handbook and just about every other outdoor guide recommended digging a small hole and burying your waste. But nowadays the enviro-Nazis would have a fit if you dug a 6" hole in precious Mother Earth. I guess it's OK to leave your nasty TP lying around though..."It's biodegradable, dude!" :blink:

Its now pretty much illegal to urinate or defecate in a public place here - all because of the freedom camper tourists.

Depends on what type of vacation and who I am going with.

If I am traveling with other cachers and the vacation is really more about geocaching that vacationing :rolleyes: then I bring it all: gps, flashlight, camera, pen, replacement logs, hiking stick, extendable mirror/magnet, extra batteries, change of clothes/footwear in case of bad weather, and any TBs I might have.

I went on a cruise with a non-geocacher earlier in the year, and it was definitely vacation first, geocaching...maybe if we trip over them on the way. I am lucky I found the caches that I did :lol: When I go on trips like that, I bring the GPS, spare batteries, pen, camera (which I would have with me anyway), and any TBs I might have.

I just bought a SPOT CONNECT (still have to activate it) because I have been doing a lot of solo caching. My car is a geomobile so I have lots of stuff in it. When I travel by plane I carry less stuff because I don't need to keep having my bags checked for suspious items like trackables, forceps and other ToTT

TP.

Lots of TP.

NOTHING can wreck your day of caching faster than a lack of TP.

Hmmm... Lots of alternitives available in the wilderness - from leaves (watch out for nettles, poison ivy and devils club) to smooth rocks - but we found in China not all bathrooms have TP, you sometimes have to supply your own.

Have you ever used leaves? I have and they are scratchy. Can't recommend it. Ouch. :o

I bring extra batteries++++, water, food, TP, diaper wipes. Change of clothes only if it's going to be a long trip.

We've been on a couple of overnighter trips and one two nighter that involved geocaching. No longer because there are 6 cats...

First time I just took GPS, caching bag, camera and a change of clothes. Second time (the two nighter) the netbook came too as did the cable, just in case. A longer trip would be fun and a colleague has offered to come and feed the cats - I've looked after hers - so maybe a three nighter? We have found that we have focused too much on the caching and not enough on the place, so on the third trip we got a better balance and time in October for Popoki Nui to go surfing on a glorious October afternoon.

2 computers,guns,etc,etc.

:o Am I the only one who noticed that. :o

If you are referring to “guns” then no.

My wife and I both have Canceled Handgun Licenses, and we carry everywhere allowed by law. 5 reasons I think someone might carry while Geocaching.

1. Because they can

2. Criminals

3. Snakes

4. Large wild cats

5. Bears

Personally in the part of the country we are in it is mostly for reasons 1, 2, & 3. Bears and large wild cats are few and far between.

2 computers,guns,etc,etc.

:o Am I the only one who noticed that. :o

I am basically a pacifist. Let's all just get along, shall we?

But, I can be a realist too, and I know that the world doesn't always get along, and I have also had three close encounters with black bears, two of which occured in one day, on a geocaching tournament. Nobody had a gun, but I shot that first black bear right between the eyes, with my brand new shiny flashlight, and in my most scolding voice said No, Bear, No! As long as I could see the reflection of the green in his eyes shining back at me, I knew I was blinding him, and he went across the road, to another campsite and stole their food.

But then there was the night we cached in Central Park, in New York City. One of our group was an NYPD detective, and he could carry. We started out in the evening, when it was still light out, we were barely prepared with just three little lights between us, and as we headed into The Ramble, I believe it was, the sun had set, the happy people had gone home, and the dregs if the city had come home to claim their turf on the park benches.

I was a newbie, and thought I needed to carry all my gear strapped to my body. We all looked rather geeky, and the mann, who is not fond of technology, was hanging back. I did not see it happen, but at one point, our cop-cacher had to show the butt of his weapon to a denizen of the night who started to approach the mann, in a sonewhat threatening manner. Nothing further happened, so I for one, am glad that I do have friends who carry, when such a situation arises.

I also tried shooting a shotgun one day, at a target. I learned I need to start a lot smaller, and I didn't have fun with that one.

If we're taking a caching trip out of state, I like to bring some special swag to leave in new found caches.(We have mostly micros in our urban area, so I'm thrilled to find caches with real boxes large enough to do some trading!) Our local geocaching club has some pins and magnets for sale on cafepress, so I order a supply of them to take, and sometimes I buy a few keychains or magnets from our local area (northern VA, near DC). The best place for cheap touristy swag is often in a local drugstore, where I only want to spend a dollar or so per item.

We also leave signature duckies, and I try to remember to take more than I think we'll need, since we almost always find caches to leave them all. I like to find something that a previous cacher left behind, especially if there's a tie in to the cacher's home. Also, try leaving coins, US coins if you're caching in another country- these are fun for kids to find!