How long should a Cache go without activity before it's archived

retphoto

You didn't mention any particulars, but if it's just a difficult, out of the way cache activity should pick up again.

If you are inclined to archive it, put a prominent note on the cache page for about a month before you do, so people won't get caught in the middle of the hunt when you pull it.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I am asking cause there's a "cache" located about 5 miles away(my closest) that has not had a logged visit in a year and a half. The Owner has less than 10 finds, and this cache is their last Logged activity under the name.

I understand that some caches may be located in hard to get areas, But I'm assuming that the owners are checking them to see if they are intact and present. but If the Owner ISN'T checking on their Cache(or even geocaching), and Nobody's logged in a while, how much time should be allowed befor it's archived?

Frankly...the Owner being present isn't important to me as long as the cache is active. I have been searching out local archived caches to see if they were archived due to poor placement or they just dissappeared.

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

There should not be an automatic time limit, for the reasons you and Sissy 'n CR noted. Harder caches go longer between finds than 1/1 walks in the city parks.

Have you tried e-mailing the owner through the site? If it bounces, that's a bad sign. But don't assume that they don't care about their cache anymore. We had a cache here in Pittsburgh that went missing after some landscaping was done. The owner, who hasn't logged a find in six months, checked on the cache within a week of the not-found report, archived the cache, and promised to create an even better one nearby.

Alternatively, try finding the cache. If it's there, fix it up if it needs it, and congratulate yourself for being the first finder in ages. If it's gone, and the owner doesn't respond to the not-found log, THEN it might be a good time to consider pressing that "cache should be archived" button. The worst that can happen to you while hunting for it is you have a nice hike.

I'm betting this is a 3/3 cache or above, not to have had any finders in so long? I love going out and logging those.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by geo-Packrat:

If the Owner ISN'T checking on their Cache(or even geocaching), and Nobody's logged in a while, how much time should be allowed befor it's archived?

If its in bad shape, none it should be archived. If its in good shape, I dont know. I would hope someone local would try to either adopt the cache or if thats not possiable remove the container and see the listing archived.

This kinda blurrs into tourist caches doesnt iticon_eek.gif

Coming up with some one rule that covers all situations is not easy.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
THIS CACHE IS ON AN ISLAND,IN THE NORTH BRANCH OF THE SUSQUEHANNA RIVER.

FIRST AND FOREMOST,YOU WILL NEED A BOAT TO REACH THIS CACHE,UNLESS YOU ARE A STRONG SWIMMER.WE SPENT THE WEEKEND BOATING AND FISHING IN THIS AREA,AND THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUN TO THROW IN A LITTLE GEOCACHING ON THE SIDE.I DONT KNOW HOW LONG THIS CACHE WILL REMAIN ON THIS ISLAND,DUE TO FLOODING,BUT IT SHOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE IF ANYBODY LOCATES IT BEFORE IT IS GONE.

THE CACHE IS A SHOE BOXED SIZED PLASTIC CONTAINER,WITH A FEW INEXPENSIVE ITEMS,AND OF COURSE A CAMERA & LOGBOOK.SO IF YOU DO ACCEPT THIS CHALLENGE,PLEASE SNAP SOME PICS & SIGN THE BOOK.

WE PLACED THE BOX ABOUT 24" OFF THE TERRA FIRMA,ON THE ROOTS OF A TREE THAT HAD FALLEN OVER...... GOOD HUNTING.

STEVE,JIM,CHEYENNE & BUSTER

I live about 100 yards from that River, 4 miles Downriver, we had several occasions of Very High Water last year. I don't own a Boat, and I'm not interested in getting wet for something that the odds are, it's NOT there.

quote:

I live about 100 yards from that River, 4 miles Downriver, we had several occasions of Very High Water last year. I don't own a Boat, and I'm not interested in getting wet for something that the odds are, it's NOT there.

Well, maybe there are other folks who are willing to get wet.

I'm of the opinion that unless someone goes out and verifies that the cache isn't there, it shouldn't be archived, regardless of how long it has been since someone visited it.

Here is another cache which has never been found, and probably won't be for some time. This one I feel very strongly about that it should NOT be archived: As North As It Gets

The criteria for achiving can't merely be that a cache has not been found with a certain period of time. Some other factors should be taken into account, such as: Is the cache being maintained? Is the owner still active? Has the cache been compromised? Has the cache been found by so many folks that there is a trail to it?

I have 13 caches that have not been found in over 100 days. One has not been logged as a find in 493 days, one caches has never been found - a vitrual - in 450 days, but I went out and checked all but the virtual cache and they are still there. And this summer the virtual will be a cache box.

I think as long as the cache is in a good location, is in good shape, as long as the cache owner is active or the cache is being found, leave it as a valid cache.

logscaler.

Here is a good example of a cache that has been out for a long time (over a year and a half), and still waiting on it's first finder.

This one sits very high on my todo list, as it does for a few other hard-core cachers I know in the area. So, I'll be surprised if it manages to go another summer without a finder ... BUT, if I don't manage to get to it this summer, and neither does anyone else, I'd be very disappointed to see it get archived simply because somebody thought there needs to be a silly minimum level of activity for all caches.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

quote:

quote:
FIRST AND FOREMOST,YOU WILL NEED A BOAT TO REACH THIS CACHE,UNLESS YOU ARE A STRONG SWIMMER...

My guess is that any cacher who is willing to go through the effort to get a boat and go after this one is probably also going to post a "Not Found" if they couldn't find it.

If you're looking for a way to get this cache off of your "nearest caches" list, currently there's only one way to do that...

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Operation High Desert should have never been approved. You don't really need a GPS to do the hunt, and it's a one time only cache. Not a virtual, not an event.

The approvers, just got caught up in the excitement, and didn't want to miff the touchy team that does these caches.

Well I am making arrangements to get to the island this week. And I am taking a camera to get Pics...

If it's NOT there, it's NOT there, I'll take some pics showing as such(and to see if it looks correct to the 2 who found it)

if it is there...well I have a travel bug to put in it!!! that might increase the traffic

I don't think there should be a limit. If there are long periods with no finds, the owner should go out for some maintenance and verify that the cache is still there. As of this post, I have one that hasn't been found for 48 days, and it is an urban cache. Granted, given the area, it will be a difficult find, and the cache container is nothing like the area you would think to look, which I think stumps most cachers. I've recently verified that it still exists, so my maintenance is 'complete' for the time being.

Brian

Team A.I.

I see nothing wrong with keeping a cache active(no matter how long it's been since it's been found) if the owner is Active...

maybe I should of rephased the questions. if the Owner is AWOL how long should an Inactive cache go before it's archived.

Question....if it's still there, if I am so inclined, how would I go about adopting a cache?

even if the owner isn't active anymore, the cache shouldn't be archived until a person visits the location, can't find it, and efforts made to contact the owner fail.

Otherwise, how are we going to track all of the abandoned caches out there?? If the cache is still visible, even if the owner has gone AWOL, at least whoever can't find it last has an opportunity to go retreive the container if its determined that the cache should be archived.

If you go ahead and archive a cache without confirming if it's still there, it just becomes litter. No cache should be archived until it's verified missing, or has been retreived.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill