"Holy Grail" of geocoins

BMndFul

Look at the resale values on Ebay. That can give you an idea of what some people are willing to pay. And watch the forums closely and you'll see what's hot and what's not. Your heart's desire is a thread that can give you some insight too. But keep in mind that coiners aren't robots going after the same beany baby like thingie. Everyone has their own taste and preference and what someone would consider the holy grail someone else is releasing into the wild to travel.

Oh, and get involved in trading. That should give you some inklings as to what's trading for what.

Edited by Droo

Look at the resale values on Ebay. That can give you an idea of what some people are willing to pay. And watch the forums closely and you'll see what's hot and what's not. Your heart's desire is a thread that can give you some insight too. But keep in mind that coiners aren't robots going after the same beany baby like thingie. Everyone has their own taste and preference and what someone would consider the holy grail someone else is releasing into the wild to travel.

Oh, and get involved in trading. That should give you some inklings as to what's trading for what.

Thanks...the problem is without any base experience/knowledge or a notion of perceived values, it's hard to trade or avoid being taken advantage of. Knowing my luck, I would trade a Picasso for a finger painting because I liked the squiggly lines. :)

Thanks...the problem is without any base experience/knowledge or a notion of perceived values, it's hard to trade or avoid being taken advantage of. Knowing my luck, I would trade a Picasso for a finger painting because I liked the squiggly lines. :)

That's probably the best reason to trade!

You can't think of geocoins as an investment, because the value really doesn't go up as the age increases. What is a hot trader now may not be in a few months time. Coins that were selling for $30 and $40 on ebay last year aren't even being bid on now.

As someone who is somewhat new to collecting, is there one or more coins that are universally considered very rare and desirable to collect? I would assume a Moun10bike, ver 1 would be the most wanted?

The Moun10bike V1 has the distinction of being the first geocoin hence one of the rarest. We don't think anyone here in the forum would turn it down if given the opportunity to have one in their collection. Having said that, we agree with Droo. Geocoins like any other collectable move with the ebb and flow of demand and availability. Over the course of time we have seen coins reaching the rare and highly collectible status overnight when someone comes up with a unique design. You have to ask yourself what do you like, what makes you say wow!! Follow your interest! Have fun with your new obssession ..ahh we mean hobby :D

All the more reason to get involved in trading. Today's squiggly lines painted by an elephant could be more valuable to someone than a cherished Picasso. As you say, it's the perceived value that counts and all you have to go on is your perception.... you can't guess or gauge that of the other guy. So sometimes you give away something you find out later was more desirable than you had imagined but you will also be on the receiving end of that bit of karma often enough too. Don't sweat it. Most traders aren't trying to incrementally increase the value of their holdings so they can sell them on Ebay and retire to the Seychelles.... at least no one's bragged about it as yet before disappearing for good. It's really about the fun in it not the value of it, IMHO.

The original personal coins..

They are in smaller numbers than the ones that were sold as trackable. They were not trackable on GC except for the moun10bike

Moun10bike

Dhobby1

Team Fisur

IndyDiver

Waypoint 15

Coin Fusion 2006 to celebrate the 5 years of geocoins - 4 styles one for each of the four that participated.